Engine DJ v3.0.0 Database issues when using third-party tools (Lexicon, De Cu)

Yep just gave the same solution a crack and found that some of my Crates won’t come over for some reason. so it’s an option but not ideal.

I have an older Engine database as a back up on my second SC6000 that hasn’t been touched by lexicon in a while, for some reason that seems to not have the issue.

mine is Mac and lexicon

Denon DJ has to take care of testing their products, and not the compatibility with third party products (Lexicon & C.)

6 Likes

nope, Win 11 non Lexicon database

2 Likes

So far, after going over info on the forum, Facebook, and Reddit:

This issue is affecting users regardless if they use lexicon or not.

This is affecting users on both windows and Mac OS.

This is affecting both users with databases on external drives and internal drives.

4 Likes

No problem here… Everything works. May be the problem comes from something else.

I suspect Denon added a database schema check in 3.0 that checks if the database has the correct columns and everything. If there is anything missing (or anything unknown added), it will error when starting up because the schema of the database does not match the current Engine version.

But I think they made this check a bit too strict.

I can definitely confirm that Lexicon users have this problem because Lexicon adds a column called lexiconId so it knows which Lexicon track they originally belonged too. That’s needed when re-importing and updating those tracks.

If you’ve ever used Lexicon in the past, you can still get this error because the database was changed when you used Lexicon and that lexiconId column is still there.

I’m doing some experimenting trying to figure out what is checked exactly but even when creating an identical database, the error still happens. So that’s why I think it’s probably too strict and why it can even happen to users that have never used Lexicon or any third party tool.

I’m working hard on a fix for Lexicon users, of course! But I think this might be better fixed by Denon and I’m sure they are looking into it.

13 Likes

Is there a way for us to search for the lexiconID in the database to see if this is present?

Thanks for trying to help btw! Greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

Hi, in which files was the entry made? I want to try to delete this column “LexiconID”.

Have you used Lexicon in the past ? If not the column will not be there

Yes, i use Lexicon. That is the fact why I wrote

1 Like

Well that’s the thing. I did experiments by deleting the lexiconId column but the error still appears in Engine. So it’s more than just that.

If you let Engine create an empty database (delete the Engine Library/Database2 folder) and then use SQLite to add a random column to the Track table, you’ll be greeted by the error.

Still working on figuring this out

1 Like

I really hope that Denon haven’t done this on purpose to lock out third party apps.

Engine DJ has been lagging behind the other major DJ/preparation apps for years, and tools like Lexicon made it so much easier to stay in the Denon ecosystem. Pulling the plug on this, while the software is still lacking important features, is a pretty bad decision. Even the more mature apps like Rekordbox, Traktor, Serato don’t do this.

I was really excited for the 3.0 release and love the features Denon is adding to Engine, but this is not a “cost” I am happy to pay for them. I hope this is an unforseen consequence and is fixed soon.

4 Likes

thx for helping, I just wish Denon would acknowledge that they have an issue and is addressing them. Engine OS is not the issue seems to work fine on my P4, P2 and Go.

They are usually pretty fast on things that break Engine, so hopefully they’re working on a fix in the background and will chime in soon.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s intentional to lock out third party apps or make it difficult for them but more a way to make sure the database integrity is correct to prevent Bad Things™️ from happening.

7 Likes

This solution has resolved the issue for me and I hope it helps you too.

• Create a backup of your database.
    • Open DB Browser for SQLite and select the “m.db” database.
    • Go to the “Track” table and check if the “lexiconId” column exists to determine if this is the specific issue you are facing.
    • Go to the “Execute SQL” tab and run the following commands:
DROP INDEX index_Track_lexiconId;
ALTER TABLE Track DROP COLUMN lexiconId;
    • If there are no errors, save the changes and test the database.
9 Likes

wow, i had used lexicon way way back but had no idea they altered the actual engine DB by inserting this column. Confirmed that once i removed the lexiconId column from the db, i was able to get everything up and running again in Engine DJ. Thanks Boka, Christiaan

3 Likes

Exactly. Mind blowing to me that someone would open a ticket and wasted Denon’s time because a third party software app doesn’t work after an upgrade. They don’t own Lexicon and don’t manage their code. How would one expect Denon to help? SMH

1 Like