What was the last DJ related item you bought?

I just ordered the brand new Akai MPC X SE, hopefully will arrive before the weekend.

My question is: Is there anyone from the Akai side of inMusic here, as I’d like to get access to an official Akai forum and maybe the beta testing side of things.

1 Like

although i have prime 4 - sc live 4 - mixstream pro - i had the opportunity for the pioneer xdj rx3 , even if i don’t love pioneer in particular ,i have to say it’s a nice car ! unfortunately I was used to soundswitch and tidal, those are shortcomings I was used to, maybe it’s a bit like when you’ve had a car for a few years and you start wanting a new one!

Decided to go mad and splash out on a pair of IEMs solely for use with my Prime Go. Never owned a set before so i wanted to dip my toe in before deciding if i want to spend on a better quality pair. €25 on Amazon ZSN Pro X

2 Likes

Let us know if you like IEM’s and if yours are any good👌

So i just spent the last hour or so on the Go with the IEM’s and i am pleasantly surprised with their performance given how inexpensive they were.

Firstly they are super comfortable to wear, normally after an hour my SONY XM4 earbuds are starting to get uncomfortable, and they cost me 250 yoyos.

I played a variety of different tunes, some which were normalised for volume etc and they sounded really good, enough bass, mid and highs that made mixing a breeze. A couple of my older tracks did exhibit a bit of distortion on the loud parts of the track, not crazy distortion, but just enough that i noticed it, simple adjustment to the HP volume on the Go sorted it out.

Overall i think it was €25 well spent. The cable for the IEM’s is replaceable which when looking online some of the other models available do not have. The cable is probably the biggest negative on the product measuring in at 4’ so you have to be careful not to get to bouncy around your decks. Replacement cables online actually cost more than the IEM’s :thinking: so it would probably be cheaper to get a second pair if you were worried about replacing the wire.

I switched to IEM’s about 2 years ago. They are very good and precise tools for mixing.

My considerations are:

• short cable: I run a cable extension clipped to my pants, IEM cable on my back (just like James Hype)
  • eartips: Depending on your ear canal, tips can be a huge difference. Tight fitting, memory foam tips increase isolation and bass response.
  • modern “chi-fi” Chinese iems are very good.
  • if you “mix on booth monitors” you’ll need to learn to mix on Earphones.
  • IEMs will save you earing. You can run them at a relatively low volume with great, precise monitoring, on any venue. I play long sets without discomfort or earing fatigue.
  • having IEMs fixed on your ears all the time leave both hands free for mixing and beatmaching :heavy_check_mark:
  • some djs won’t like the “isolated from the world” feeling.
1 Like

This was actually quite surprising just how much external sound they kept out, and i was using the supplied tips.

1 Like

Not so much a DJ related item, but I dislike cables being untidy so purchased some desk grommets and conduit to make it look purdier.

I’m happy with the result :grin:

10 Likes

Care to share information about the table itself. How tall is it? DIY Or purchase?

Hey Marv, the bench and trestles were from IKEA, i picked them up in Dublin and i think overall at the time it cost about €250 in total.

It’s very simplistic but suited my needs for it to be minimalistic for my cave, the height on the trestles is adjustable and very easy to do, basically using two wooden pegs per trestle to adjust height, you might even be able to adjust the angle although i never tried that, bonus there is a base shelf on the trestles if you wanted to store something.

The bench itself comes in varying lengths and flavours to suit your decor.

2 Likes

Why not use the digital outs ?

I have no interest in using any other equipment, so the standard connections serve me fine, plus, i don’t really think there would be much benefit in my setup, although i can if i wanted easily switch them over on the mixer and player ends and leave my line in’s free.

You’re playing digital files on digital players, by not using the digital connections you’re converting from digital to analog back to digital and then to analog again by the time the signal leaves the mixer, as opposed to keeping a bit perfect digital signal until it leaves the mixer. Always use the best possible connections, it’s not like digital coax cables are expensive, that and the Denon Prime DACs/preamps (players and mixers) have not received high marks.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info @inertiamonster but i’m really not that worried about my sound, my gear does not leave my cave, and for my 52 year old ears it sounds just fine.

Info is helpful to those looking to get the best sound though so thanks for that :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I essentially do that with my DVS setup and it sounds pretty good so like you it’s not concerning:)

Just got back from Ballymun

€90 just the trestle

I have a left over table top which I plan to use.

Breeze in Breeze out :grinning:

Nice one, hope they suit your needs.

Looks like a low-cost, nice design setup and very tidy. How is the stability? with scratching?

@noname i don’t scratch on my decks, however the bench and trestles are rock solid.

@mufasa scratches so perhaps he can answer that question.

1 Like