Strange sound coming from platter

I use one of those tv screen cleaning kits. Blue liquid and and a microfibre cloth and it works well and quick.

Thanks for posting that mate. I have two the exact same. One that has improved and sounds like the repaired deck on the left and another that sounds more like the deck on the right. Probably a little less noisy but still has the scraping. Hopefully not a difficult fix

1 Like

Time and time again and over several decades of use have shown that a direct drive platter will outlast and out perform a silly jog wheel.

I think jogs should just disappear :joy:

My advice to ya’ll is to abandon jog wheels and go with the Ms. Trust me, you will thank me for it.

1 Like

Even the dns5000’s are still rocking and they have an elastic band :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I just got a replacement for my 6000. The new unit is completely silent when on the lightest tension - now the other player, which seemed fine at first is a lot louder. Can anyone from Denon DJ comment on that? @JWiLL

Also, I had a nice chat with my retailer who told me a supplier of Denon DJ recently had a fire that will impact supply chain and new units will possibly take another 4 months to be delivered.

I guess he was referring to this!

Edit: video

1 Like

Would like to know that myself. The one on the right sounds like a CDJ and is why i also thought my one that sounds like that is fine and the silent one was the one needing looking at. After seeing the video posted by @Adriandave i think the silent one might be how they are supposed to react with the proper implementation of the breaking system.

Do you notice more wobble on the platter of the silent one?

The silent one has the scraping sound (with a higher tension setting applied). I expect that to mostly go away when the player is “broken in”, though, as it did with my other players. There is no wobble, just buttery smoothness. It feels fantastic.

Here’s another video with the highest tension setting applied. The scraping appears a little dramatic (loud) in the video - it’s barely noticeable when you use it, though.

I have 5 inconsistencies between my 2 Denon 6000s.

First one is massive difference in flashing Play buttons.

Second is sensitivity of jog wheels

Thirdly is when I have them connected by Ethernet 1 of them fails to shut down. I have to remove the power.

Forth is one of the jog wheels isn’t set correctly. When I spin it you can see it wobble from side to side. This is on the deck that has very low sensitivity.
It’s too slight to catch it on video but easily seen with the naked eye.

Fifth is one of the decks wont connect to the internet.

Very disheartened since I blew all my dosh on this as a treat for lockdown. And worrying that there are so many differences between 2 brand new flagship players.
What to do?

Graham

1 Like

Return them to the place where you bought them.

I’ve never experienced consistent significant physical jog weirdness prior to the Prime line; not on prior Hercules, Numark, M-Audio, American Audio, Stanton, DJ Tech, Pioneer, or any thing else I’ve used or owned that I can recall. That the new Pioneers are having problems too makes me think these fandangled tempered glass wheels and whatever else they’re using might just be overly-complicated for the application to have the sort of low production variance enjoyed by the lower tech jogs. While I like moving platters, I don’t think this phenomenon is a condemnation of all jogs.

Holy 'ish, that is COMPLETELY silent!!! Neither of my units sound like that!! #jealous!!

I would love to know what is different about that player from the rest. I would gladly tear mine down and do the adjustments myself to gain that result.

1 Like

Big jogs big problems. Everybody enjoy your jogs cause I’ll be watching you jog around here :joy:

The new jog sounds like someone in the factory finally found some lubricant :joy:

They need to also put the non-conductive lube on the brake mechanism. Did they appear to do that?

There is also poor consistency in the application of the lube used on the pitch faders, causing variation in the resistance on them.

Having a higher tension setting still produces scraping noise. It has improved a little on my players over time, though.

Pitch faders feel identical and very good - almost like my Technics when they were new.

Thee of the six I’ve had felt very thick on the pitch faders and three felt substantially less resistance, though obviously more than Pioneer CDJ pitch faders’ resistance.

My pitch faders also feel identical and are nice. It’s one of the small points i really like. They are the closest thing i’ve seen to proper turntables on a controller

1 Like

The cue / play buttons blink faster or slower depending on BPM of the loaded track

1 Like

Check the video, i am giving a spin to the jog wheel of each deck. Do you consider the sound coming from the second deck faulty?

Access denied to the video.