Strange sound coming from platter

I’ve just had info back from my Retailer about my Platter having the same issue (Vibrating sound, and rubbing sound when using the break), this was the info he got back direct from Denon…

It is not a fault with the unit, some of them sound that way out of the factory. It can be returned to see if it can be repaired but “technically there is no fault” so may return with the same sound. Denon have no stock to do a straight swap and cannot guarantee that the next unit wont be the same. I have asked my retailer to look at a returning the unit once there is stock and to be supplied with a credit to grab a replacement once my retailer has them back in.

I do believe that if stocks were higher then this is something that would defiantly warrant a straight swap. To be told that “that’s just how they come out of the factory” sounds so odd. Some will Vibrate and make a Rubbing/Grinding noise and some wont…that’s surely a Q&A issue.

My Retailer has been spot on, but with no stock there or with Denon its a bit frustrating being told by Denon “Return if you want, but it mite come back the same”

This is my first experience with Denon, just hope this is a little bump in the road.

1 Like

Any joy with the 3rd Unit mate?

Mines exactly the same bud. Very annoying and completely takes away from the feel of the unit.

2 Likes

My observations tell me that there are 2 types of noise, one feel like there is some kind of shake on the berring, which happen at higher speed. The other seems related to lack of glide between the piston used with the wheel adjustment. You can actually feel it when you spin it.

In my case your can clearly hear the case #1 on the left player and case #2 on the second but it’s hard to hear it in the video.

Honestly, these might not be that problematic long term but at the same time, these are brand new devices.

Are you planning on sending back for a replacement…if they allow?

I just picked it up from the FedEx office like an hour ago. The very first thing I did was test to see if it makes the same noise. :disappointed: :weary: :rage: Unfortunately it does!! I mean, it’s WAY quieter, but that warbling sound at the end of the spin is most definitely still present. This replacement deck is already on 2.5.3, so we can dismiss the theory about it being an early production fluke. This is sooooo freakin’ disappointing! In hindsight, I wish I had bought the ‘M’ version with the motorized platter. Granted, it is way better on this replacement deck, but how long before it starts to sound like the one it replaced? After all, the other deck did get worse the more I used it. **fingers crossed that it sorts itself out instead of going in the other direction. I LOVE just about everything else about the SC6000s except for the platters, so I am going to hold onto them and hope for the best.

For the love of God, Denon, get your shite together. Software issues, I can accept. But, hardware…naw, that’s unacceptable at this price point. Wasn’t the 6000 supposed to address the platter issues and be an improvement upon the 5000? Well, you failed at that endeavour. **If I could find someone to trade me the static platter for the motorized ones, I would do it in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

That is shite mate. It’s not good enough the issue with the jog to say the least. The main reason i updated from the 5000 was because the advertised improvements to the jog. Far too many people with issues to try and pass this off as anything other than a manufacturing issue. Disappointed with the the lack of response to my messages on the issue from Denon reps on here. Genuinely think this must be linked to the massive delays in getting the 6000 to market in numbers. I hope Denon will honour this under warranty in the future.

1 Like

Ahhhh man, that’s disappointing. Im a long time pioneer user but loved the look of the SC’s and thats exactly why i switched.The only thing i dislike is platter also. It feels nice dont get me wrong, and the everything Pre-Pio 3000 feels and sounds quite rough…but the fact that some of these units are intermittently sounding and feeling the way they do is a real shame. because the platters feel much heavier than the pio’s makes them feel more premium…but with that comes this weird vibration/rubbing sound on some of the units. Every unit should be equal and not “Just as they come out of the factory”. There is clearly a Quality issue that needs sorting ASAP

1 Like

Absolutely mate, if denon dont honor under warranty then im off, real shame!

100% mate. Regardless what Denon say, they don’t have a leg to stand on. The fact that so many have a different sound and behaviour means there is an issue. No way they can justify so much variation in behaviour of the jog. They should all have a similar sound and feel.

Love the kit do not get me wrong mate, but being a new Denon customer and being told “send it back if you want but it mite just come back the same” is absolutely brutal! Happy to wait for more stock, not an issue for me at all…but there is an issue, SIMPLE AS THAT!

1 Like

Same here mate. Had Denon gear going back 15 years and think it’s brilliant what they’re trying to do with the Prime gear but they still need to sort out this issue for early adopters.

Yeah man, long time Pioneer CDJ user too. I was originally gonna’ keep the NXS2s, but a friend offered me nearly what I paid for them, and it was such an easy sale that I actually parted with them. So, now I am stuck w’ the SC6000s, LOL! Man, I looked at what these decks (SC6000) get on on the used market. Let’s just say they don’t retain their value like CDJs…saw some sell for as low as $1K each. These things just came out. Ouch!! Oh well. Like I said before, the sound isn’t nearly as bad as the one it replaced, and I don’t even notice it at all if I keep the tension at half. So, that’s what I am gonna’ do. There was no escaping the warbling on the older one, regardless of the tension setting. It just ■■■■■ I have to make excuses like this for a brand new product.

Oh well. I really do love the rest of the features on these decks though. Well, except for the lack of Ableton Link, but that is a different subject all together :wink:

Doubt it. I did a search and found nothing with that price point.

My bad, you’re right. I mistook a SC5000 for a SC6000, but here is one that only sold for $1,100…not much better

I’m confused at some of the videos posted about jog wheel noise.

When Ravine did a cdj 2000 vs 3000 video he recorded the sound the jogs made while spinning them. The cdj2000 jogs sound worse than the videos I’m seeing here.

8:45 into the video is the test

That was posted an hour after my comment. :lying_face:

Umm, NO, not a lie…an admission of making a mistake. Your comment encouraged me to look again and see if you were right. And, you were. I admitted to my mistake. I didn’t LIE.

Jeesh.

Anyway…

I owned a pair of NXS2s for about 3 years (just sold them last week). Yes, you can hear the bearings and feel them as well. But, the warbling sound that some of us are describing is not the same thing. In fact, the good (SC6000) deck that I have actually feels and sounds like my NXS2s did, only quieter.

I’ve sold a pair of SC5000 and and X1800 mixer over the past 6 months and lost a lot. The mixer was brand new and i lost 30% of the purchase price and i got it already with a 15% discount on the RRP. To put it in to context, i got the same money for a 10 year old pair of CDJ-900 than i got for my SC5000 which were 22 months old. Just a fact of how things are at the moment.