Strange sound coming from platter

Do they sound and feel more similar if you crank both tension knobs to max, or even one at max and the other slightly less, or are the differences completely independent of the tension setting?

Its strange because at max or 3/4 tension setting the one that feels bad at the minimum setting feels better. The other deck which feels good at minimum starts to make a grinding noise like it has a stronger brake being applied. Very strange. I definitely think there is a difference in jog resistance at the same tension.

Definitely just sounds like the tension adjustment mechanism once again. An a positive note, seems like all these jog ā€˜feelā€™ issues on both the 5000 and 6000 non-Ms could be fixed just with non-conductive grease on the problem parts that are supposed to be applying friction.

1 Like

Has that changed over time? Did you return one? If you did, is the new one any better?

I have had my set out and set up now for almost two weeks. Out of the box they kind of caught me off guard the sound and feel as well. They where very tight on the most loose setting and I was a little worried. Two weeks in with some good heavy use and they have smoothened right out. They are beautiful now. Very happy customer!

1 Like

Did both feel the same out of the box? The main issue i have is the that i cant dial them both in to feel the same. Even taking the scraping out of it, they both feel like different jogs

Out of the box the one was a little tighter then the other. Now I canā€™t tell a difference.

I have encountered the same on one of my unit. You can feel that the extra resistance is not ā€œcleanā€ and feel rugged compared to the adjustable resistance.

My guess is a bad berring.

Do you notice the resistance/rubbing is in the 6 oā€™clock position of the jog? I noticed that initially but it seems to have got a little better with use the past few days. Is there any wobble on your platters?

I have 3x ā€œ6000ā€™sā€ here and I fail to understand the mentioned grinding.

Grinding to me is what every CDJ and XDJ made before the CDJ-3000.

Yes, the 6000ā€™s make more noise than the 5000ā€™s, but thatā€™s the way they are build internally.

1 Like

How would you explain the differences that people are noticing between jogs? If there is a standard implementation of the jog in terms of sound and function, then one of mine is not right because there is undoubtedly a noticeable difference between both of them. It would be good to actually see how one that is considered to be standard actually functions and sounds. Would make it easier to make a call on returning one of mine.

Grinding (again to me) is ā€œthe sand on plasticā€ sound the Pioneers always made. Funny that the jogs on a XZ were better than on a CDJ flagshipā€¦

The 6000ā€™s have a, difficult to describe, dark rumble sound. Itā€™s a combination of gears inside. Not like the noiseless 5000ā€™s. One 6000 could be louder than the other, for sure, but it certainly shouldnā€™t sound like scraping or scratching like ā€œsandā€. Then get them exchanged.

Have you noticed a change over time? One of mine seems to have a lot of resistance. It makes a plastic scraping sound at even the lowest of setting.

One thing i have to say is that the new jog feels much better than the SC5000 which for me has that generic controller jog wheel feel.

No not really. One has a slightly louder rumble sound, but only if I spin it like a madman.

Ok, hereā€™s how mine sound like (on the lowest tension setting): Video.

Thereā€™s definitely something wrong with the left player, the right one seems fine. Adding tension causes sort of a grinding sound on both - which probably is ā€œnormalā€.

Edit: Please merge with the jog thread (canā€™t do it myself) :slight_smile:

Yeah no probs, will do in a moment.

That left player with a ā€œwobble rumbleā€ doesnā€™t sound correct indeed.

1 Like

I have the exact same set up and mixer. Was like looking at my own gear for a moment.

I have one deck like your right one and the other that seems to have more like a plastic friction sound. Iā€™ll try and get a video up tomorrow. I think another member replaced one that was making a similar sound to your left one. Does that deck always make that sound? Does it have significantly more wobble than the other when you push down on the platter?

Yup, your left deck is doing exactly what mine did. Mine actually got worse, not better, the more I mixed with it. But, itā€™s already on itā€™s way back to Denon. The replacement will be here on Wednesday. Here is how bad it gotā€¦

Yup, all the time. And it seems to be getting worse.

Did you return it to the retailer, or Denon DJ directly? I got an RMA from my retailer, but they lack stock to swap the deck (and new stock has been getting postponed again and again for more than 2 months, now).

I chose to go directly through Denon.

1 Like