I think they suddenly got a squeaky bum as they’re a big Pio DJ/AT authorised dealer.
They are one of the old skool DJ stores from back in the DJ Mag adverts era (under their previous name). I can bet they had a furious call the morning after haha.
I remember it and watched it at the time. Great video.
These old CPU’s are still faster and more capable than what is in the CDJ’s.
Lack of memory?
The decks run samples, buffer whole tracks, handle network traffic, full hd graphics, real time analysis of 2 tracks simultaneously, can keep 2 whole tracks buffered when USB is accidentally removed, communicate with Timecode, stage linq and Resolume in real time without latency. The Chip has on board GPU capable of OpenGL ES1.1/2.0/3.0, OpenCL 1.1, DirectX 11, Embedded 4 shader cores with shared hierarchical tiler.
These maybe older CPU’s are still capable of a lot of modern tasks if programmed correctly.
Maybe that’s the issue then. I used my Prime Go+ for a 5 hour gig on Saturday playing MP4 files from a Samsung T7. Maybe 3 or 4 times during the evening there were noticeable glitches or gaps in the music randomly while I wasn’t doing anything else with the controller. Above that there was another strange glitch where 3 times it refused to load a track to a deck from the prep list.
Of course video files are larger than audio and require more buffering but this has happened every time I have used the unit at some point. I’m also using SS on board for my LED battens so not sure if that is running away with some of the resource.
Regarding general speed, glitchiness I feel the unit struggles to keep up a lot of the time when gigging with it. Just my personal observations of course.
I can understand that you’re excited about your new hardware, but one thing is for sure:
In a blind test, you wouldn’t be able to distinguish between the two devices on a digital level or perceive any differences.
Absolutely nothing will happen! It’s digital, and if there are no effects running, it’s simply transmitted bit by bit.
On an analog level, at the player itself, or if connected digitally at the mixing console, it’s possible that extremely well-trained ears with extremely good speakers or headphones might actually hear something.
But on a PA system, or worse, those mini portable speakers designed for performance?Never!
The rest belongs to the fantasy world of marketing.
Technically, however, it’s not verifiable.
I like the CDJ3kx, but unfortunately, it’s from the wrong company.
This sounds like corrupted files or issues in the data base.
I run on a SC Live 4 4 tracks and SS lights and never had a smallest hiccup.
Also when events hit 16 hours long.
I have done the DB clean thing regularly and the files play perfectly in VDJ on my laptop. It’s never the same tracks however which leads me to think the player is just overloaded causing the stutters.
99% of cases is the data base or the files them selves. From all the experiments I did with multiple files, I ended up with a 32GB usb stick of files that led to complete freez or self reset of the sc5000 players. Same stick was working fine on some older pioneer decks (cdj2000 and xdj1000), but also freeze up cdj3000. So files and data base are very important here. Not only auto cleanup, but also a proper check of the sql lite integrity and look out for dead links every now and then can help.
I’m not a coder, just a regular user. Surely the database integrity check should do that if it’s required?
Anyway we’re getting off topic. Thankfully I only use the Prime Go+ for smaller kids parties etc. My reliable laptop/VDJ/MCX8000 setup does all the proper stuff so it’s no biggie.
It’s good practice but not entirely required. The good practice comes from the fact that it does verify the node data in the DB is sound. Generally, I wouldn’t do it manually, but rather do it via Engine as it will run that across all the .db files in the database collection and run an vacuum.
This strangeness I detected in the meantime more than once.
Mostly this behavior occurs, when I want to load a track from the “Prepare” list.
After playing for rd. 3 hours suddenly it becomes impossible to load a track.
It’S a horror during a gig, when time is of the essence.
Sometimes it helps to wait, but then the outro for the passing track is over …
or don’t waste time and search for the destincted track in the collection again immediately.
This strangeness I keep under observation:
Imo the tracks are proper and I think the cache has a kind of overflow.
Any assistance is highly appreciated as I’m on the way to discuss it here or start a service request to DENON.
But as mentioned, I’m watching it to make precious descriptions.
Thanks in advance for your attention and any help is highly appreciated.
The Prime stuff’s current firmware processing has something called an IMD ‘hump’ that is more of an issue with very complicated mid-amplitude content. The computationally efficient but ridiculously-early gentle anti-aliasing filter being used in the digital domain is also not very effective, resulting in both aliasing distortion mucking up the lower frequencies and ultrasonic garbage still making it through. More accurate downstream transmission can, oddly enough, make that latter issue more of a problem than less accurate gear, even while having other benefits.
Prime stuff does currently use slightly better key correction than Alpha Theta, though, and the later CDJs have had some weird frequency response and other quirks of their own. Personally, I think the newer CDJs overall sound better than the Prime stuff even taking key changing into account, especially with complicated music. YMMV. If you’re mixing sparse or minimalist stuff, and/or you’re using really high-end analog mixers, maybe you can offset the difference. If you’re not using keylock, the older Pioneer and Denon DJ stuff sounds better than the newer models, at least comparing digital outputs, but then you’re losing out on features.
Thanks for more detailed description.
I will check if this can be reproduced on a SC Live 4 or any other of my friends can run a parallel test in such way, that we can notice any slowdown in preformance.
There’s about 4 topics hijacking each other in this thread - and the title seems incorrect too - which might have been what led to the thread meandering around several different things