Prime Go 1.6 Firmware Update Failed - Device Now Unresponsive

After a failed attempt to upgrade firmware from version 1.5 to 1.6, my Engine Prime GO is stuck on the firmware update screen. I cannot get my unit to boot or respond. During start-up it displays version 1.6 then displays the firmware update screen. Image below.

When I connect my Mac via USB, the Update software says a Prime GO is not detected. A screenshot of the Mac Software is linked below.

Steps that produced this state:

1. I attempted to update Prime Go from 1.5 to 1.6 firmware using the Mac Updater software. The update proceed through steps 1 of 3 and 2 of 3 then began step 3 of 3.
  2. During step 3 of the update process, my Mac screen went to sleep, when I touched to wake it up, a message appeared saying the firmware update had failed.
  3. I rebooted my Prime Go and tried to start the process again. It boots to a screen that looks like the firmware update mode, but my mac update software will not detect the Prime Go.
  4. I also downloaded the 1.6 update to USB and tried the USB update process, but in its current state, the Prime Go is not recognizing anything.

I have reviewed several threads about Prime 4’s failing to upgrade and getting “bricked”. I can’t find a clear explanation of how to revert to a previous version or how to manually factory re-set my device when the OS won’t even boot up.

I have a private outdoor performance this weekend; so, I am pretty upset about this.

Thread’s I’ve read:

1. Updateing Firmware for Prime Go
  2. Firmware update 1.5.1 bricked prime 4 - I can’t find the threads @Julianus refers to in the solution.
  3. After update to 1.6.0 Prime4 ENGINE will hang on ENGINE OS screen and not boot completely

@NoiseRiser @Reese

How to force firmware update mode?

@DJ.Thumper there is a button combo that will force the unit into the USB firmware update mode. I don’t know what it is, but hoping either of those folks I tagged do.

Hang in there

Connect the power adapter and press the ON button while holding LOAD > and LOAD < buttons. You will see the update screen

2 Likes

DJ Thumper, Ethan Allen here started the 3rd listing you referenced. After update to 1.6.0 Prime4 ENGINE will hang on ENGINE OS screen and not boot completely

So, I have a Prime 4 and how I was able to get my Prime 4 in to update mode is: after trying 3 - 4 times to push power button - starts Prime 4 and gets stuck on Engine OS screen. I would HOLD power button down until the machine turned off. Wait 1 minute and then power on again. Finally, it would start properly. I then would attach my computer to the Prime 4 - then put the Prime4 in to update mode. Then choose the v. 1.5.2 file and roll back the v. 1.6 update. I have done this twice and it worked both times. I have Engine OS 1.5.2 mac version if needed. Sorry, no windows version. Hope this gives some resolve. It may take a few more than 3 tries to have it properly loa properly. I think the key is NOT to have your computer connected when initially trying to boot up the machine.

1 Like