Prime 4 failing to complete update to 1.6.2 from 1.4.1. Now doesn't work - help!

I’ve been successfully running my Prime 4 on 1.4.1 for a year or so with no issues. Today I tried upgrading to 1.6.2 via the blue cable to my PC.

It seemed to be going as expected, and showed 1.6.2 in the bottom right of the screen. however it stuck on the final part of the update which seems to be something to do with updating the right display. After showing this (pic attached to the post) the unit just goes off and does not reboot. Restarting the unit again shows 1.6.2, lights going on but then when it gets to the right display update it powers off. I’ve tried powering off and on several times.

I have no SSD installed and have not put a USB in during the updating process.

Really not sure what to do next because I can’t get as far as a menu screen.

Please help as I need to be able it use it!

Here’s a link to a video of what is happening (couldn’t post it here) :

From other user experiences here, seemsthe solution is to downgrade the firmware to an older version and then try again to update to 1.6.2.

Thanks but I can’t work out how to even access a way to reinstall an older version from my PC as I can’t get to the menu to get into update mode. It just powers off every time it reaches the screen I showed in the first post.

A quick search of the forum tells this: “Power on while holding the “EJECT” button to get into firmware update mode.”

Thanks again. Can’t get that to happen though. Holding down eject button and start either seems to do nothing or if I hold them both for longer then I get a whirring sound but it just goes to the engine os starting screen rather than firmware update mode.

How long do you hold them? Together? Eject and then on? I’ve tried various combinations.

Getting somewhat agitated now because I can’t find a way to get past this.

Edit: I managed to get to firmware update mode (chip image on screen). The only version of 1.4.1 that I have though is for USB not PC. Not sure how to reinstall that - not getting any interface to do it.

I then tried to install 1.6.1 from my PC instead but got exactly the same issue with it not updating the right display. And then just powering off.

Couldn’t find earlier versions than 1.6.0 on the denon download pages.

Hey @Dippy - Happy to help. You may need to upgrade to 1.5 before upgrading to 1.6 and up. Let me connect you with technical support so that they can determine what the issue is. I’ll send you a DM.

1 Like

Hi Anthony - thanks for getting support involved however the issue is still not resolved as they didn’t suggest anything I haven’t already tried and haven’t responded to my further contact. I can’t even get the unit into update mode by using the eject button while powering on now. The chip pic appears briefly but goes as soon as I release the buttons.

Completely lost as to what to do as I’ve now got an unusable unit thanks to trying to upgrade.

Hey @Dippy - Apologies they haven’t responded yet. We’ll follow up with the team and see what solutions they may have. I’ll keep in touch with you via DM.

1 Like