New Mixer Idea

I’m traveling for work, so will need to leave the photoshop-fu to someone else, but imagine this…

A denon 4 channel mixer (similar to the x1850) with Engine DJ built in. You could use the screen from the Prime 4 on a hinge.

There would be hideable transport and performance controls on screen.

You would be able to connect either LC6000’s or Rane 12’s for controlling Engine DJ.

You could also use the mixer in link mode with the standalone players attached (similar to the pioneer tour1).

2 Likes

Tour 1 was a hit and miss. Why to copy bad ideas…?

1 Like

On the surface it seems like a good idea… but then you realize you will just get a jog-less version of Prime 4 that doesn’t have the convenience of an all-in-one console but has the same disadvantage of no redundancy (compared to SC+mixer setup). :frowning:

2 Likes

Now that You said it - I made a fast cut out.

1 Like

@NoiseRiser

Can we have horozontal waveforms in rgb

2 Likes

Oops… sorry…

I don’t have that much time at work to make precise mocups. That was just a fast cut. But anyway - not a good idea for a mixer…

1 Like

There should be a full equipped tablet or phone version from Engine DJ so we could freely combine it with whatever we want.

LC6000, X18xx, ….

Also it would have the benefit that we can prepare set’s on the go.

Alternatively why not to bring Engine OS functionality to MPC live or Force. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the year 3026…

Maybe…

I’d like to see a 2 channel mixer option or at the very least engine integration with the Rane mixers. Kind of head scratching how there is only one mixer option from Denon and only one with engine integration.

I know it goes totally against the “All in one” idea, but why not just make Engine an iOS app.

Mixer has the soundcard, USB hub & midi control. Everything else in an iPad above it.

It would hopefully make the hardware cheaper too.

3 Likes

I think that would be a massive risk on their part. DJay Pro AI already has the iOS market on lock, and with how clunky the Engine desktop software is I don’t have much faith in them developing a reliable app. I think they would be more likely to refine the desktop software into a full fledged DJ program rather than jumping straight to an iOS app. Either way I don’t think either of those scenarios are really the approach they are going for.

Its not a risk. With the speed engine is being developed at its more like SUICIDE. Still havent nailed the badics down after HOW many years???. I know development is a slow process but there is slow and there is stop. Then comes backwards… we have been through slow. We have had stop. We are now in reverse. Carrying more equipment to do a basic job that the “standalone” should in theory be capable of negating.

Can someone clarify denons “mission statement”??? What are they “trying” to achieve

Actually thinking about the original topic… Yeah good idea. Then we can do this.

Problem solved…

Tablet and phone apps are the future outside of standalone hardware. I remember a time when more people had laptops than smart phones. Now, everyone has a smart phone. It’s about chasing that market penetration.

It may be the future but it’s not there yet imo. I think the fact that the leader in the iOS DJ field doesn’t have professional grade hardware designed specifically for it is telling enough.

I also still stand by the fact that Denon does not have a good enough track record software wise to all the sudden try something like an iOS app and expect people to give it a shot.

The next steps for them imo is to expand the number of engine compatible mixers (new ones or newly compatible existing ones), and to introduce a standalone motorized controller (prime 2m perhaps).

I don’t think we’re far away.

My M1 Macbook Air can run iOS apps, & the new iPad Air has the same processor as my Mac.

Surely we’re close to the point where it will be one codebase for a DJing app that runs on both platforms?

1 Like

Lets get it running properly on one platform…

Yep! I’m buying this one. Either as a built-in model with built-in software and screen or just a screen module for those who run SC, I would like to be able to see the waveforms on a screen. Or you can choose whether you want to play on the SC or LC players on the mixer.

If Apple goes with the M1 in their phones and makes changes to iOS to match the architecture, cross-is compatibility will be a thing.

All current Windows DJ Software will run on the Microsoft Surface, so we are already there for tablets.

Pretty sure engine os has Linux at its core, so porting over to android won’t be hard either.