Engine Prime doesn't add tracks to playlist

Do you have rekordbox collection on the same usb you are exporting to?

I’m planning to try to recreate the issue

Hey guys. I managed to solve the problem. Well actually, thanks to Mixmaster G from ■■■■ (Denon Conversion Utility) for pointing me in the right direction. It turns out it was the database on the computer (in my music folder) that was causing my issues. I use EP differently to most, where my main collection of music isn’t stored directly on my computer. For each drive that I use, the music that is added to that drive get’s added to my EP collection directly from the drive itself. This allows me to keep my music in folders the way I like & saves me the mission of exporting & syncing etc… So when Mufasa told me to try rename the Engine Library, I renamed the one on each of my drives, which didn’t work. I didn’t think there would be another Engine Library on my computer as no music stored on my computer is part of the collection. Mixmaster G told me that there is also an Engine Library folder on my computer located in my music folder, and I should try to delete that one as it was probably corrupt. When I did that… Problem solved. No loss of database either as my main collection & database is actually on the drive. I am now back to where I was before. I’m able to create playlists by dragging folders into my collection without any problems. Happy Days!! Massive thanks @mufasa for trying your best to help. I really appreciate it. @VINOANDVINYL I don’t know if my solution will actually help you as your main collection is probably on your computer, but it’s certainly worth a try. I recommend you make a copy of your Engine Library or actually just rename it something like ‘Engine Library1’ - the one in your ‘Music’ folder on your pc. Then test to see if you are able to add tracks again. Thanks again everyone that gave their input & tried to help me. Respect!!

1 Like

Great you got it to work. mixmaster g is a legend and learnt a lot from him.

This is my post on this thread and there was a link to give info on how to rebuild.

1 Like

How the hell did I miss that?!! So, this problem was actually solved ages ago - if I just read properly! Now I feel like a proper idiot!! Thanks again @mufasa

Simply tip for all Mac users- use Time machine Backup- this tool saved my life in some situations

I’m having the same problem. I can’t add anything to a playlist, or move playlists around. When I do, this red prohibited sign shows up. :no_entry_sign:

Notes: -I’ve uninstalled / reinstalled Engine, -made sure nothing is ‘read only’. (songs / engine executable / engine library folders) -drive is formatted ‘exfat’ -This is what it looks like when I try to add tracks to a playlist:

Did you try copying the playlist from the Collection view to the USB drive ?

Collection is the first icon where all tracks and playlists should reside.

In the screen shot you are using the File view.

Hi. I have the same issue and I tried what you said here but it didn’t work , I must be missing something. Can you help please? Mixmaster g has helped me in the past but he must be too busy at the moment to help.

Hi Nubium. I have a very tedious work-around for this now. I hope this helps you in some way. So you either have : (A) collection stored on your computer and you export it to an external drive / drives. (B) collection stored on your external/s (this is what i have), therefore no need to export. With option (A), everything should work just fine. With option (B) you run into this issue. Engine is looking for a database that is located on your computer’s internal drive. Rekordbox gives you the option to specify where the master database is located. Engine doesn’t give us that option!! So to get things back to normal, this is what I did. 1) locate your default “music” folder on your computer. Look through it until you find an “Engine Library” folder. Rename this folder to “Engine Library - Computer” (or similar). Now navigate to your external drive & look for a folder called “Engine Library”. Copy that “Engine Library” folder from the external & paste it into your computers default “Music” folder. Now when you start-up Engine everything should work normally again. If you are using more than 1 drive this way, remember that for each drive, it requires an “Engine Library” folder for each drive. Once you are finished adding your music to that external, go back into your computers music folder & rename that “Engine Library” to something you wont forget. Something like “External No1”. You need to do this with each drive you plan to use. Copy the Engine libraries from those drives to “music” rename them appropriately, then rename them to “Engine Library” when you work with them. It’s a pain to do but it’s the only way that I can manage my music on my external drives the way I want. One positive of this, is that you always have a backup of your library should something go wrong.

What happens if you don’t do this step?

If the only thing you did was to rename the laptops default Engine Library folder?

For some reason, it doesn’t work. If I just delete / rename it without copying the other one, it’s exactly the same. It doesn’t allow you to add tracks. Well, this is sort of the case. I have 3 drives that I use. If I just rename / delete, only one of the 3 work. If I copy & paste from each drive, then each works perfectly. It seems like Engine wants / needs a database on the computer to work properly, and that database must direct the software to the whichever drive is in use.

Thanks for the answer. I use external drives with my library on like you do. It used to work just fine , I don’t understand what changed. I’m a little confused by the explanation but I’ll go over it sorry later ( only have 4 hours sleep as DJ’d last night.

What’s the difference between the one drive that works and the other two that don’t?

Were they “packed” drives?

I really don’t know why the one works & the others don’t. I never packed any of them, so should be all the same.

There is no reason why you should be having to go through this.

There must be something wrong with the database on the two drives that do not work.

Thanks for your info but that doesn’t really help me.

Did you try what I suggested above?

Hi Crazycraig. I am trying it right now. the answer I gave above was about the post from DjMell26

Ah ok, no problem. I wasn’t too sure who that was for.