🚀 Engine DJ v4.0 Now Available - Enter the flow!

Yo también y sin problemas

1 Like

Just took a look over the RX3 firmware change log

It’s just fixes and improvements. Not a single new feature in the near 2.5 years it’s been out. This isn’t really a dig at Pioneer per se, fairly regular bug fixes and minor improvements is as much as any reasonable person could expect. But compare that to Engine DJ’s release history

It soon becomes clear why the Pioneer guys are so butt hurt

5 Likes

The concerning thing is their coping mechanism is to go on the attack. Why not spend that energy on trying to get Pioneer to improve their business model? Instead of making petty remarks about a brand they apparently don’t care about.

2 Likes

Can’t tell, but they might start with more features out of the box?

I’ve compared the RX3 to the Prime 2 plenty of times Reese, I’m not sure they can even claim that tbh.

1 Like

They still don’t have Key Shift / Sync on the RX3, if I’m correctly aware.

Something which even baffled Phil.

Also, no Autoloop encoder, separate beatjump buttons, missing SD slot, no quick way to do censor/sliprev, the pitch faders have that annoying center click instead of that zero-pos LED, and the list concering the missing stuff in the software goes even further. Unbelievable to charge 2100€ for it here. The only two things they do better than the Prime 2 or Live 2/4 is partially the mixer section (Sweep FX, better VU meters) and screen size. And that’s about it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too concerned with a small minded pioneer fan, objectively there are things pioneer has done better and equally Denon has done things better if a person cannot look at a product objectively that is an issue for them I would say.

Why can you not see both layers waveform preview on the single view anymore? I do not want both complete wave forms and data, only the smaller preview waveform so i can see where abouts on the track it is for breakdowns etc etc

Really really irritating having to be either full on dual layers per screen or seeing no information on second layer when in single mode!

Bring back single layer with dual waveform

2 Likes

Need this, don’t like dual view at all but i need the full waveform of both layers on the single view

1 Like

I think that part of pioneers problem is that if they add anything too exciting to either existing or new models, they’ll get further and further away from their “industry standard” battle-cry, which has been more of a bleat since covid anyway.

Innovation is the exact opposite of “industry standard”. The two are mutually exclusive.

I’ve been near to some arguing DJs in DJ stores about how on the old CDJs there was a nice simple “industry standard” button exclusively for activating/deactivating a particular feature but now on later models the activate/deactivate is buried under a menu option or a long press or shift + press and is no longer “industry standard”

They can’t have it both ways

Yeah I always chuckle at the ‘if you want to play in clubs’ waffle, only to then see a thousand pieces of content talking about how clubs are dying.

It’s been a noticeable decline in the nightlife scene for a while now. It was sort of heading that way prior to Covid and now that has just wiped it out. People have discovered that a party at home with their mates is safer, cheaper, better music, less hassle.

Bars are still hanging on at the minute and that’s where I get my work from these days (my old residency was technically a bar but being an outside terrace that behaved more like a nightclub I’d say it’s not the same), but even then I think it’s on its way out. 6 quid for a pint of lager where I work, up in the North East. It’s an expensive night that isn’t it.

2 Likes

Realizing now that when you swap layers it also swaps position of the moving waveform whereas before they stayed in the same position. In the next update I would like to have the option to decide where the moving waveform will sit also.

I use the mixer Channels as 3|1|2|4 and I want my extra moving waveform on either side (3 for left deck, 4 for right deck) always to appear on the bottom. But I want the full waveform and song title on the left deck to appear swapped (side by side view) without moving the moving waveform (of deck 1) to the bottom.

I don’t think Pioneer DJ / Alpha Theta is in any hurry to add lots of features because their competitive advantages currently lay in superior player digital processing sound quality and superior hardware & software reliability. InMusic’s Denon DJ has slowly made some notable progress in the past nearly 7 years on reliability but made no recent efforts that I can tell on the sound processing, and on reliability I still think Pioneer DJ / Alpha Theta come out on top. Maybe when reliability is matched, the player digital processing sound quality will finally be addressed again.

I hear that however, some of it maybe just down to a persons perspective of what they think is better, i know the cdj 3000s are technically more powerful then the sc6000 but Denon has done more with less its like having a super car but only driving at 20mph, the area Pioneer exceeds is their mixers in my view.

1 Like

InMusic’s obviously cramming in layers, effects, sampling, etc. I hope the important, core stuff can eventually be improved without getting rid of at least layers.

If we keep with your previous metaphor, one of them is a high-fidelity driving experience that rarely glitches up or breaks down, and the other is not up to that caliber but has a ton of bells and whistles. Regardless of whether you were running a race, a cab company, or a rental company, you’d probably strip out most of the bells & whistles and focus on what’s most important, like being a quality transport with reliability. BTW, transport is an audio term, too :slight_smile:

Some of us, though, really don’t like some of the design choices of the competition and / or are looking for specific features that we find here. So, we put up with the inferior fidelity and reliability for the time being on this quest.

2 Likes

Cough

Not sampling, playing of audio files – they call this feature “Sampler”, but it’s not a true “sampler”.

3 Likes

Big thank you to the InMusic team for this!! This is an awesome quality of life upgrade to the user experience! Almost every little gripe I had is gone or obviated with the update.

2 Likes

I hope in the future they do something with the sweep fx buttons, the blue LEDs when the filters are active are hard to see, is it reported? Could you make the LED more intense?

1 Like

There’s a whole thread active to discuss it.

See this thread, and vote on the feature request/give feedback: https://community.enginedj.com/t/prime-4-sweep-fx-better-button-illumination/52155/29?u=mark185

It actually has been improved in 4.0, and now flashes the selected Sweep FX when one of the Sweep FX knobs is engaged.

2 Likes