🚀 Engine DJ v3.1.0 Now Available - New Main FX, Touch FX, Smartlists + More!

Hey Everyone,

It’s that time again for another exciting Engine DJ feature release! This time, we bring several brand-new and redesigned Main FX (formally BPM FX), an entirely new Touch FX experience, Smart playlists and more! Plus, we’ve expanded on the Sampler functionality by allowing you to route the output to any available channel or Main output, which makes it possible to apply FX to samples.

As always, we appreciate your feedback, and we hope you enjoy this update.

Release Notes

Engine DJ Performance Software for Hardware (OS)

New Features

• Touch FX - Use the touchscreen to control and interact with FX in a whole new way. Touch FX bring powerful effect combinations to your fingertips. Swipe in any direction to instantly create build-ups, drops, and transitions. The added ability to latch Touch FX allows you to focus on other aspects of your mix while the effect remains active. Touch FX are available for all Engine DJ devices, including Media Players, however, the selection of available Touch FX will vary by the device.

New Touch FX include:

• Filter Echo
    • Filter Reverb
    • Filter Roll
    • LFO Echo
    • Filter Dub Echo
    • Filter Gate
    • Noise Gate
    • Flanger
    • LFO Filter
    • Filter
  • New Main FX - Denon DJ devices receive 26 new and updated Main FX. This suite of new dynamic effects provides DJs with easy-to-use tools to build energy, create drama, aid with transitions, and individualize their performances.

New Main FX include:

• Echo Out
    • Swell Verb
    • Hold Echo
    • Recycler
    • Stutter Out
    • Riser
    • Pitch Down
    • Scale Down
    • Reverb
    • LFO Verb
    • Reverb Drop
    • Reverse Reverb
    • Reverb Rise
    • Flanger (-)
    • Beat Break
    • Backspin
    • Brake
    • Roll
  • All effects now offer a Frequency parameter, allowing you to apply the effect to a focused frequency range.

• Sampler Updates

• Sampler audio can be routed to any available channel or the Main output. To change the Sampler routing, open Settings and choose the Mixer tab.
    • The Sampler pad mode can now also be accessed by pressing the ROLL pad mode button twice without holding the Shift button. (Denon DJ hardware)
    • The sampler volume setting is now remembered between power cycles.
  • Added the ability to read Smartlists created in Engine DJ (Desktop).

• Added support for PRIME 4+ hardware

Improvements and Fixes

• Track Preview can now be routed directly to the headphones for instant track previews without setting the cue source in advance. (PRIME 4)
  • Reworded Effect parameter reset behavior setting to make it clearer.
  • Fixed an issue where the Date Added field was incorrectly setting newly added tracks as the day before.
  • Fixed an issue where the internal SATA drive would not show up as a source immediately after updating.
  • Fixed an issue where a track remained in the Prepare list when loading to a deck in certain situations.
  • Improved peak hold behavior on all products that have peak hold VU meters.
  • Other various stability enhancements & improvements

Engine DJ Preparation Software (Desktop)

New Features

• Smartlists - Automatically organize songs from all connected drives into playlists based on the criteria or rules that you specify. To create a Smartlist, click the Smartlist icon on the Collection folder or right-click on an existing Playlist and select ‘Create Smartlist’. You can easily turn a Smartlist into a regular playlist by right-clicking the Smartlist and choosing ‘Convert to Playlist’. This creates a Playlist with the same name & content as the Smartlist.

Improvements and Fixes

• Fixed an issue that prevented the highlighted track from updating when bulk editing metadata.
  • Fixed an issue where the Date Added field was incorrectly setting newly added tracks as the day before.
  • Fixed an issue where Serato beat grids were not imported correctly.
  • Other various stability enhancements & improvements

Important Notes

• The Engine DJ 3.0 database has been refactored to improve performance.
  • On the first use of Engine DJ 3.0, Engine DJ will migrate earlier databases to the new format while maintaining the collection structure.
    • This process can take some time depending on your collection size. For larger databases on removable drives, it is recommended to use Engine DJ 3.0 on the desktop for faster database migration.
  • Be sure to upgrade well before you are in a performance environment.
  • Engine DJ 3.0 databases are backward compatible with Engine DJ 2.x.x versions.

Download

21 Likes

Not home yet but will be looking to update, how will the effects work on the sc6000s as i am yet to see how that works, good news for the sampler I was hoping you could trigger via the touch screen as it would be easier smart crates is good too, would like to see the wave form in the preview like on pioneer but really good stuff for the denon crew👊🏾

I don’t have one myself but I think it’ll be just pre-fader effects assigned to the music playing on the device, by my calculations its the first time in over 2 decades since a single deck player had on board FX.

2 Likes

No worries bro the sampler and smart crates im really happy about everything else is a bonus

It’s very simple and intuitive, and works very well. You’ll have a touch fx icon on main screen, screen turns into a big “pad” with small waveform on top and fx select on bottom. You’ll love it!

Fx will be routed to player output, no need for X1850 mixer.

1 Like

Touch-FX are for all. Main FX are for all-in-ones.

3 Likes

The DNS-1000 and DNS-1200 both had on board FX, so about 15 years at least.

Ah my bad, I’d never seen them… 2005 on Scratchworx.

Touch FX is a game changer, I am eager to try on my SC6000s, that features was dearly needed for club mixers that can only assign one FX per channel at a time! Also smart playlist etc. Thank you :pray::+1: :sunglasses: brilliant!

1 Like

Wow - that was one reason I returned the SC Live 4 - the number and lack of quality of the effects.

The update is really cool and the smartlist is finally integrated.

If only the SC Live 4 didn’t have such stiff pads… Finger drumming isn’t possible with it. Unfortunately, savings were made in the wrong place here.

3 Likes

I feel that that bullet point should have been at the top of the announcement.

But it’s a fantastic and incredibly detailed and feature rich update, undeniably.

I just tried, I’m speechless, VERY GOOD JOB @DENON!!!

The effects are incredible, much better than I expected, the new effects work perfectly, the adjustment options are truly a great advance, and the touch fx are wonderful, in summary, now we are going to be able to use effects in our transitions and tricks with ease!!!

Congratulations, great job!!!

2 Likes

Yeah it’s top work from them. Smart playlists too, great feature.

Freaking amazing :tada::tada::tada::tada:

No one has a video of FX working on the SC5/6 players?!?! I would have thought at least one of the DJ channels would have posted that today.

Effects and smart playlists had been two major complaints/requests, very pleased to see both addressed - great job, Engine guys!

1 Like

Smart Playlists are SWEET and it works great! So happy to finally have them!

And can’t wait to get home and play with the new FX! Thanks Denon team!! You’re on a role!!

Now please let us rate tracks on device so we can really make those playlists sing! : )

2 Likes

Very impressed. …I wasn’t expecting fx to trickle down to the stand alone players.

I own a single SC5000, & I’ve never taken it out on a gig as I don’t have a mixer with its own fx. …that doesn’t matter now if the fx are in the player!

Playing two layers from one device & managing fx may be too much for my little brain to cope with though. It may be time to track down a cheap used LC6000 for layer two.

4 Likes

Yep, though it is a valid question why nothing’s been done on the X18xx mixers of late.

3 Likes