Engine and Denon should have done all this research before profiting off of us

Right click on the desired tracks and click “Reanalyze”.

1 Like

I personally would format the drive, do a full re-analysis on the computer, sync my whole collection back to the drive… in fact that is exactly what I did when the improved downbeat detection and grid edits came along. With that fast USB cable and an SSD it took me about an hour in total.

1 Like

He means on the players. Mufasa has a request for it.

2 Likes

Great idea in principle, I wonder if the player would have to be in some kind of dormant mode whilst analysing. I imagine doing it mid mix isn’t going to work.

Why not? it can analyze new songs mid mix

Desktop also has a lock when the track is loaded to deck. Reanalyze is only possible from the collection list.

1 Like

I might be wrong as ive only done it once, but isnt the on board analysis a more basic version than the desktop offers? I seem to remember it being nowhere near as in depth, but it was a couple of years back when I last did it.

Is there a new algorithm in 3.3? Where is that stated?

There’s the cloud analysis database for streamed tracks, but AFAIK it doesn’t use an improved algorithm.

Point and case. why would it be different than desktop? Can’t even view streaming tracks in desktop.

Because your computer is far more powerful than your DJ device, hence the reason all vendors have their analysis built into a computer app.

The streaming tracks thing has been partly resolved with the new crowd sourced analysis DB, I have no idea why they cant be analysed on your computer as I dont use them or have any plans to… but they have taken an active step to improve the analysis of streaming tracks in this new release.

All the things you seem to be finding problems with are all things nobody else offers, so im not sure where you’re going to go to solve it?

2 Likes

@Robert_Wisher

There will always be those who are never happy to complain and I think that you are clearly one of them.

When I sold my Pioneer Nexus setup in 2020 to move to Denon (and it’s probably the best decision I’ve made in my life when it comes to choosing DJ equipment) I knew exactly what to expect.

I knew what I was getting, between the dual layer, the on-board analysis, the performance pads with much more than just hot cues, the fluidity, ergonomics and speed of Engine OS, the SSD bay, the 10-inch screen…

Coming from a pioneer configuration where new features are rare and updates are generally limited to minor bug fixes. I was far from imagining all that we were going to receive ‘as a bonus’ when it wasn’t even included at the outset.

And with Denon it’s Christmas with every update, and the equipment gets even more complete and even better performing over time. Pioneer would force you to buy new equipment just to get a hundredth of what you get for free.

The brand’s “industry standard” business policy is comming out of my eyes

So let’s rejoice to have the chance that a company like Denon exists, which offers a serious alternative, not necessarily perfect at first glance but which is keen to listen to its community of customers and users to try to push the limits what is technically possible to do with the available hardware.

Otherwise we would all be obliged to spend 7 to 10k€ in a pioneer configuration which today does not do a quarter of a third of half of what Denon does. If it makes you happy to spend double your money unnecessarily on technologically outdated equipment, go ahead and do yourself a favor, sell your Denon setup and go see if the grass is greener at Pioneer, no one will hold you back and you will certainly do a happy customer who will collect your used equipment.

The misfortune of one person makes the happiness of others.

Personally I am proud and happy to be part of the Denon user community, and to have the opportunity to express myself to help this company improve Engine OS and their equipment with bug reports or simply by leaving a review.

It is thanks to all of us that Denon has been able to improve their products as they have and I am happy at my modest level to contribute to that.

The only things I could criticize Denon for are:

1. that they sometimes add functions without developing them to their full potential, such as the sampler which does not allow samples to be played in a synchronized loop for example. They should really focus on one function, develop it as much as possible before moving on to another function.

2. That when we post a feature request, we don’t necessarily have at least feedback from the team that would clearly say “yes it’s possible to add it” or “no it’s technically impossible to add it” add" (as is the case with waveforms superimposed between bridges for example)

Aside from that I think we must clearly salute the work provided by the development team

10 Likes

I like to read and appreciate other peoples opinions but not when the opinion is naïve and without justifiable merit.

Engine 1.0 , the first engine was fully usable, right from its first ever free download - and let’s be clear on that - engine is free , serato , traktor, rekordbox (comparable features) and virtus DJ are not free. Also engine is intended as a librarian not a racing car driver - it’s not trying to be one either; that’s for the decks to enable the DJ to be.

Consider also that all the the v1.0 bugs are gone. All that needs fixing now are items which got added at the request of users later in free (free again) user requested features. If Denon were deaf and didn’t listen to anyone and didn’t enhance things and add features every few months (free, yet again) then there would be no bugs apparent, and therefore no fixes required.

9 Likes

We will see how fast these issues will be resolved. This is elementary stuff that other software does offer. All the usual suspects chiming in on this almost immediately is super sus. new users take note.

Hardware analysis is as comprehensive as the desktop version.

The only difference is that it can’t run a reanalysis.

The way I see it, it would be equivalent to how streamed tracks are automatically analyzed so it should not hamper performance.

I would like the feature as well.

1 Like

It’s fine for me since 2020, was not bad before. Only have to change ‘first beat’ on very few tracks.

1 Like

@Robert_Wisher i get where you’re coming from

I am currently doing a masters in digital transformation and it’s the in thing now when it comes to bringing a new product into the market.

Most of my modules are pushing this approach.

Come to market with a Minimal viable product and continue to improve based on what the key stakeholders want.

3 Likes

I did preface it by saying it’s a great idea in principle :wink:

This is getting to a point where reality is fading a bit.

Shall I remove all the “usual suspect’s” comments in this topic (including my own) for a ‘healthier view on the subject’ perhaps?

It’s great to have another opinion. I welcome them. As a moderator I hope to experience both sides on this forum to learn from each other. I’ve heard that the competition’s forum sometimes isn’t like that.

Again, move on if a device/platform really doesn’t suit your DJ needs. Don’t stay unhappy.

(Oh and you didn’t get the 6000’s 4 years ago, but 3 years at max)

4 Likes

Do you agree it should be marketed as just that, a minimal viable product? When I bought my gear it was being sold as top of the line professional equipment. With this business model they will never be that. It’s almost as if they are in cahoots with pioneer, and they will always be a step behind. The 3000s now have the same capabilities as the 6000s almost as if pioneer was waiting for Denon to sell units before their release. Someone is going to say pioneer doesn’t have touch effects, but we all know these effects are not great even compared to x1850 effects. Just hate being tricked into buying something that’s expensive as DJ equipment is. If your friend sold you on something then you find out it’s not what you paid for would you still be friends? These are massive corporations we should hold them responsible.

CDJ-3000s have the same capabilities as SC-6000s?

Name them.