Customize layer colors to whatever you want!

Hi,

I just found out that the EngineLibrary/user.profile file contains the player and layer colors as hex values.

It’s a bit like reversed Android Hex color codes, where the first two chars are for transparency (and are ff/255 by default) and the other six for colors, in the same rrggbb format that is also used in CSS.

This allows for editing the file by hand and changing the hex values to whatever you like.

For example, here is proper purple and teal:

But you are not limited to colorful colors, here’s proper purple and black (watch the layer ui, it gets a black border):

And of course you can set the transparecy chars to 00 to make the color transparent.

Although this has a caveat: It only works in the UI, the jog wheel and layer button will ignore the transparency setting.

To get proper transparent layers, you can set the color to transparent black (the ui won’t get a black border):

Here’s the relevant snippet for player number one:

"PlayerColor1": {
                    "color": "#ff9000ff",
                    "type": 16
                },
                "PlayerColor1A": {
                    "color": "#ff9000ff",
                },
                "PlayerColor1B": {
                    "color": "#ff00ffe2",
                },

As you can see, each player has a “player color” (which seems to be used when nothing is selected) and two layer colors.

Funnily enough, EngineDJ only lets you set the layer colors, not the default player color, so using this method currently is the only way to change the default colors as well!

Hope this is useful for some :slight_smile:

16 Likes

I’d like to make the moving waveforms and the BPM counters disappear.

2 Likes

That is not (yet?) part of the user profile. You should add a feature request for it.

https://community.enginedj.com/t/ability-to-choose-the-colors-of-on-screen-info-texts-and-static-moving-waveforms-each-separately/40639

I think the ability to change the color of everything on screen using the user profile would mostly satisfy my request, as well as this one by someone else:

https://community.enginedj.com/t/colorblind-mode-and-or-different-color-schemes-for-the-beatgrid/

2 Likes

Still, that’s not what my post is about, this only works for layer colors :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s cool. What did you use to edit the profile file?

It’s just a JSON file, so any text editor will do. I used Sublime Text because I had it installed but notepad should work just as well.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to turn my platter LEDs off for a while now and thanks to this I’m finally able to.

Thank you

2 Likes

Are these the codes that you’re talking about ?

1 Like

Those are the ones used, yes :blush:

Yes, and no.

The hex values used in CSS consist of six letters: #rrggbb The hex values used in the user.profile have the additional transparency value: #ttrrggbb

Otherwise you can use the values in the same way, just remember to add the first two chars when you select a color using some CSS color picker!

Not just everything on screen, but customizing all the LEDs too, would be nice. For instance, I’d like to put the blinking white ring to black/off for Track End Warning.

The LEDs also use the layer color. But black won’t work properly, the mixer for example will show a somewhat dimmed white light when turning the layer black.

Well, a very dim would be better than how it is right now. How dim? It’s too bright. Contributing to my headaches.

Not sure, you could try if using the transparency part of the color code will give you a more dim light.

The touch activation white will still show up though, which might make your headaches worse if it’s going from dim to full brightness every time you touch the platters.

I wasn’t even thinking of the non-Ms. Those are in cases right now. I’m using the Ms. I haven’t used the non-Ms since I had COVID, though, took a year off from DJing, and headaches got bad. Curious that the touch white ring is separate. I believe I have a feature request for lengthening the amount of time it remains lit, since sometimes when it’s glitching it flashes faster than you can even see, and it was hard to determine if it was a playback problem or the platter. Having that dimmed or using just blanking of the colored ring as the touch indicator would be useful, now that I think of it.

You can turn off the track end warning by editing the user profile with Engine Desktop and sliding the “track end warning” slider to the far left.

Yeah, I realize that, but I like some type of flashing or warning, just not the intense, blinding stuff when I’m still DJing at 3am.

Just tried this with the profile settings file on a flash drive for my Prime 4+… It works but def not quick to change depending on the setting / environment. This helps tremendously to make the unit not look like a control deck straight out of TRON. I experimented with a few different gradients and seem pretty happy with setting my platters to #FFa9a9a9 which is the code for Dark Gray. It still turns white upon touch (which I like), but lets the platters blend in a bit more for formal DJ settings rather than some bright ass children’s coloring book colors. All this to say: great workaround, but PLEASE DENON make this an option in settings. We have this beautiful touch screen that could easily be used to pick off of a color wheel. <3

2 Likes