SSH on the Prime 4

FWIW, I didn’t close this topic 2 years ago, so the discussion is still active without censorship.

Adding to above “censorship” statement. Some words are indeed blacklisted, because the forum owner is an American company. But let’s be real, does an F-word really add to a constructive conversation. Maybe you’d better do that outside on the streets of Berlin or Amsterdam (my country). :sunglasses:

On the topic of SSH access, I still feel the same as 2 years ago. InMusic most likely will not give it, unless someone hacks or brute forces the devices. So the initial topic subject is like pulling a dead horse.

If it’s about adding possibilities, the right way to add new features is going through the feature requests section of the forum.

1 Like

I never read such bullsh*t before.

Don’t you change your desktop wallpaper? Have you heard of tuning a car? Putting better brakes on your bike? New wheels on your skateboard? New caps in your old amp?

Again, if you’re not interested just ignore the topic. But stop sabotaging other peoples request with your “I only use it the way big daddy corpo tells me to” crapitalism mentality.

Feels like that “if you don’t like this country you can geetoouutthhh” right wing murican garbage, which surely is the reason this forum exists: So people like you can tell other people to just sell their stuff if they don’t like it.

1 Like

Ah yes, where you can “vote” with your ten votes that you’ll never get back because no feature request is ever completet. Gotcha.

So you’re comparing changing a desktop wallpaper to being given SSH tunnel access to alter firmware on a piece of hardware? You might also want to head to the website of any car company and check their terms and conditions regarding ‘tuning’ and how it impacts warranty.

“I love my SC6000s and X1850 but have a huge urge to fix the (unfortunately closed source) software.”

What exactly are you wanting to ‘fix’? and what makes you think you can do a better job than the in house engineers employed by the company?

I think you need to get yourself an ego check, Mr anonymous forum warrior.

I got votes back from “BPM editing on player”, Platter hold - CUE and relocate missing files.

I also don’t see any request for SSH access to the device to vote on. Wouldn’t get my vote, but hey it might be popular?!

So, gotcha as well…

2 Likes

Okay, logical points are empty, now we get to analyzing bios and ranting about that? Is there a low you won’t go to mr “just sell it if you dont like it”/ home dj only?

Yes. Because to me SSH acceess is way more essential than having a background image. Most computers I use only have SSH and no desktop at all

For example (not that it’s any of your business) I want to fix the connection issues between the x1850 and sc6000 because I’ve written support multiple times and it seems like some sort of handshake issue to me. Plus I want to collect performance metrics from the sc6000s which isn’t possible currently but would be relatively easy with shell access.

And the LEDs/Buttons, maybe you have already seen my Thread here:

Imagine having shell access and being able to turn off the blinkenlights completely? Maybe even change some colors (where multicolor LEDs are placed)?

It’s not about a better job, it’s about doing anything at all. All the issues that I care about and voted for are wontfixes.

1 Like

Good for you, and since you got them back for one topic all other peoples experiences are invalid. Sorry to insult you gread god-king of the denon forum.

Let’s not set things on fire please

And for what it’s worth I also got votes back of implemented features. And you can always take your vote back on a voted one and place it on another request that has become more important and made it into your own top 10.

2 Likes

Seriously? I’m not even going to respond to that nonsense comment.

I would gladly approve a new Feature Request on OP’s subject to get your vote on. @catraxx hasn’t been seen since January so it’s probably up to you.

This is funny though

3 Likes

I see some major trolling going on here…

And if anyone feels like a valid coding force that inMusic can use to make the software better - apply to work at inMusic. If You are so good, they will give You the ssh and a salary on top of that.

To file in Your application go to inMusic brands website > careers > there are open positions and description how to apply if Your favourite position is not open.

4 Likes

I would also like to get full ssh access because denon cant manage to implement a color blind feature which is literally 1/2 day of coding and 1/2 day of debugging. might just do it on my own

2 Likes

Im colourblind, what are you struggling with?

Only way to do it.

If I made dj products I wouldn’t give open access to any mere mortal. A business is a business.

2 Likes

If Pioneer would be open source, they would have a lot of user hacked and unreliable units in random locations. Then djs will complain about it - damaging to the brand. This is a NO GO!

3 Likes

Thats another huge point, these devices connect directly to the internet. I dont know the exact security measures in place but providing people with SSH access surely has the potential to give them access to any device, therefore putting online devices at risk of attack from those with malicious intent.

And anonymous people on forums, im sorry but they fall exactly into the category of ‘people with potential malicious intent’

Imagine if someone found a way of attacking devices with ransomware that are connected to the net and it transpires that Denon provided the access to do so.

All hypothetical, but in my profession, SSH keys are used to prevent unwanted users from accessing a server.

This is all before addressing the amount of complaints from bricked devices whereby a customer downloads some untested firmware build online, loads it to their machine then decides its Denon’s job to solve the problem afterwards. Or they just dont own up to it and try to put it through the repair loop on the sly.

There’s no “right” to hacking.

And I’m certain that InMusic would rather a hacked unit bearing their name on most of the sides didn’t crash in front of hundreds or thousands of people due to hacked code.

4 Likes

Bruteforcing is a real bad idea. As I know, I found a counter for wrong passphrases on ssh. So if that counter hits, it could be that you can´t access your device at all.

2 Likes

I hope Denon has not implemented such a counter, since it would make your device vulnerable to denial-of-service attacks. Anyone with network access could lock you out of your device by doing a series of connection attempts with invalid credentials.

1 Like

Have you heard of the operating system powering ~90+% of all server hardware? It’s open source. That thing called Android? Open source as well. Most of the libraries used by EngineOS? Open source.

What you said came straight out of some Microsoft funded marketing event.

Like saying legalizing the posession of lighters or matches would cause uncontrollable arsony and fires everywhere. (If you’re american replace lighters with firearms and arsony and fires with shootings)

3 Likes