3rd Party Mixers with SC6000

It’s hard for me to judge because I only know the DB4 among the digital mixers.

But I’ve read and heard a lot about the X1850 (and the X1800 after the last update) being damn good too. But admittedly: that’s just hearsay, I’ve never been able to compare personally.

There is pretty cool stuff and features packed in the mixer. If the units work hassle free and no problems occur, it is damn good. Unfortunately, too many x1800s are affected by issues and poor quality, which is incomprehensible, because externally the devices are built like a tank, but this does not apply to the built-in faders & pots. It looks like that newer batches are more affected than older ones. Here on the forum are several users who have older X1800, who had never to deal with any issues.

For Studio, Home or bedroom use, weddings or so on, you can go for it. We won’t recommend pro stage use of the X1800 at huge events, where large scale pa systems like l’acoustics are run, many rotating djs use the mixer etc. The sound is not punchy enough compared to A&H or Pioneer. On pro stages reliable units are needed. We run into many hardware issues, mainly with bad Faders, Pots, ghost Audio etc., so we had to exchange the units several times.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was the last little “nudge” I needed to keep the DB4.

1 Like

for sure, it has more punchy, crisp sound. Personally I prefer / love the xone:96

If you already own the db4, keep it or consider to buy the X1850.

Is the 1850 that much better than the 1800?

we don’t have an X1850 but so far heard nothing negative about it. This question can be better answered by someone who already owns an X1850

1 Like

I currently have @mufasa setup (S11 + 6000Ms in standalone) and all is well, except for the Auto BPM function…it works decently well, but lately have been having some issues where the S11 doesn’t pick up the BPM up and have to tap in. It’s not too much of a hassle, but last night it was definitely enough to make me reconsider whether I should have gone with something like the x1850.

I am also more or less a 2-channel mixer kind of DJ, and–don’t get me wrong–while the S11 is fantastic at what it does, I just wish Pioneer emphasized / gave more thought to standalone users. Or better yet if Denon (wink, wink) began developing their own line of battle mixers that enabled 5000/6000M users to maximize the number of features they offer (Link Auto BPM, 4 channels, pads, function, etc.) I mean it’s not that wild of a concept, InMusic also owns Rane so why not share some of that IP and rebrand under Denon, or at least develop the Rane line to be fully compatible with Denon.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, and if the components were Rane quality (just please add Auto BPM with Link), then I’d sell my S11 and move to Denon / Rane. I think they’re missing out on a key market here, which is ironic given they are targeting it specifically with their M player lines.

Also, side note–why not make the platters the same as the Rane One / 12s? So much better looking IMO! Perhaps they are afraid the Ms will canabalize the 12s since they’re both standalone and PC capable…guess we’ll have to wait until they sell all of that stock!

P.S. messed around with the S11 and the BPM issue seems to be when the trim is set normally it has trouble picking up the BPM, has to be significantly past 12 o’clock to pick it up, and even then some tracks still don’t work quite well…bit frustrating but guess it is what is for now.

I find the bpm on the 11 to be pretty good. Even for old funk with varying bpm

My trim gain is in around 12, then some deep mixer settings to attenuate the master out.

I don’t get into red I’m in amber mostly

1 Like

Really? Hmmm, it’s mostly disco / hip hop / chillout where I’m running into these issues–would you mind sharing those deep mixer settings? I’m looking at that now.

hey i owned a 5000/x1800 setup…sold. bought for the money a Rane Mp2015 mixer. running currently with traktor dvs. now i have bought again a x1850… and wait weeks for new 6000… so now i have a luxus problems with choosing with mixer i will use. mp2015 or x1850. both Mixer sounds fantastic. but the handling is different. and this is why i love both mixer. i can compare the 1850 and the old 1800. the build quality has definitely improved. i would say the sound is a bit more punshy then the 1800… i can definitely recommend the 1850… i testet also several pioneer mixer. didnt pay attention to effects. in sound quality Denon always wins.

I use a Allen & Heath Xone 96 with a Eventide TimeFactor effects pedal.

Don’t own a Denon SC6000m yet as waiting for confirmation on memory cue/auto loops being implemented but will pull the trigger if they do (hopefully soon)

If you use rekordclouds, they will be converted over as hotcues and hotloops.

At $15 a month thanks but no, thanks. Denon need to sort it in EP.

$15 isn’t that much, and it’ll hold you over till it gets implemented in engine prime. When you compare the cost of the sc6000 to the cdj3000, you would need to subscribe to rekord.cloud for 40 months before you saw a loss, and that’s only reflecting the cost of one player. :-p

I get what you’re saying, but it’s not all the complete story with rekordcloud because hot cues are needed as hot cues and loosing them to make shift memory cues is not a real fix and auto loops are a must for my workflow.

My understanding is there was a time when it was possible with Denon, but they took it away? And now I see 2-year-old threads on here of people asking for it and many threads from others saying how it’s missing from their RekordBox Playlist conversions.

If it’s coming then great but when? As clearly some have been waiting for years which does not inspire me.

@Crimson

This may sound strange - I’ve never touched a CDJ because I went from (long time die hard) vinyl via Traktor directly to Denon.

So can you enlighten me on that memory cue / autoloops of Pioneer? What do they do so different? I use e.g. the hotcues in my SC6000 quite intensively and find the system actually good. I always thought the “memory cue” was just another name for Denon’s hotcue? And for the loops: on my SC´s I hit the loop button once and the thing runs perfectly in circles. I could hardly imagine that it could be built even simpler. How do the CDJs do that?

Why are you using both memory cues AND hotcues?

In RekordBox Memory cues are static cue points and serve as reminders at points of the track were as hot cues are active cue points that when used move play to a certain point of the track.

Loops work the same as EP but when saving a loop you can then create the loop as an Active Loop so that when the track is playing that loop will become an Auto Loop i.e. it will automatically loop at that point of the track if active (Auto Loop) and you can also set it to loop once or infinitely.

I can live with the memory cue work-around, but I cannot without any active/auto/loops.

I thought if one triggers a Memory cue recall the track moves there?

My last CDJ was the 900, it’s been a while since I owned one. It didn’t have hotcues only memory cues.

Is there anything that it does that can’t be achieved with HotCues?

The hotcues are stored on the waveforms, if they are used as landmarks in a song the waveform will still show it when the play head gets to the point.