X1850's - Out Of Stock (What's the story?)

I think Denon Engine used to be pretty poor at BPM detection. If you want to have the best detection software, it’s Mixed in Key, followed by Traktor.

Well, the X1850 uses beat grids to sync effects, so as long as you have your tracks properly analyzed in Engine, then once you’re out and playing, you don’t have to worry about timing. With on the fly detection, you’d always want to double check before button bashing.

The S7 paired with the LC’s sounds awesome! I’ve been thinking about picking up a pair. The combo makes a fantastic 2-channel Serato controller for DJs who like the battle mixer setup but prefer jog wheels over turntables/spinning platters.

1 Like

Is this sheet not about Key detection ?

Honestly for me beat detection on Engine OS/DJ is working excellent. The only thing which could be better is that the first beat is sometimes one bar off.

3 Likes

You’re right, that sheet is about key rather than bpm. But I think it may be out of date. I use Mixed in Key on every track, and it posts to the comment section. I do this because I prefer Camelot to the system Traktor uses (currently my main DJ setup). I’m moving over to Engine, and found that over 90% of the Camelot keys from MIK are matching with Engine’s detection, so maybe there was improvement in Engine version 3

1 Like

Apologies. Thanks @Aquadics I stand corrected. But also in terms of overall track analyzing MiK is best in my experience

Very possible. Engine has definitely come a loooooong way @wuli

@Mixlive what a time to be alive- so many DJ options!!! :fire::fire:

Feels like a toy and the sound is way too hot on the S7. So much cheap plastic.

Not sure why you say it but my experience is completely different. I regularly use it for up to 2000-3000 capacity venues never had an issue. Great mixer imho. I did switch the knobs and faders myself though.

1 Like

I’m liking the look of your S7 @swissivory!

I’ve had my S7 for 2 years, play events quite frequently with it, and find it very reliable. @gsweater, in my opinion, the S7 is designed perfectly for the scratch/battle DJ and poorly for house and open format mixing. The loose lightweight faders and knobs with short throws are great for quick, choppy cuts.

It’s not the best mixer for slow smooth blends or the house music DJ. It’s not precise enough for slow fades and long transitions. For that I would use something like the X1850 or XOne DB4.

2 Likes

I know what a battle mixer is, I have a Rane 72 mkII, and that’s what I’m comparing that toy to.

The only problem is, when Rane decide to stop supporting that mixer, it will become the literal definition of a toy, whilst the DDJ-S7 will still be usable. See SL Boxes and older Rane mixers as a good example :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Well, that ‘toy’ paid for itself again this weekend. I used it on 2 of the 3 events I had over the weekend and the toy performed and sounded perfect (as it has been doing for the past two years).

Enjoy the Rane 72 MKII. It’s a great board.

1 Like

The newer Rane Products are class compliant, so they will not need the same driver support that the SL boxes needed.

I know, I was just making a point about the behaviour of the company they are claiming to not make ‘toys’, especially when ill soon be an owner of one of their products that will be exactly that, nothing more than a toy.

That is not a guarantee for long term support eg Rane 61 and TTM57MKII are both class compliant yet support dropped.

As far as I know, both of those mixers also require drivers to work with Mac OS?

I know for sure the 61 does not work with iOS 16. I don’t have a Mac to test it with tho.

Edit: Checked the drivers section. Neither the 61 or 57mkii are class compliant. Both require core audio drivers with Mac OS, regardless of OS version.

Sure you are not confusing the utility/control panel thing for drivers?

You are right about the 61, that does require drivers. 57mkii is usb class compliant on MacOS…according to user manual

1 Like