X1850 / SC5000 LAN… Gigabit or…?

BTW I clocked wifi network speed at 180Mb/s download for the 6000M.

Remote Desktop mode using the same library is speedy.

If the CPU is the issue, why not use a better CPU etc? Why make a device that can be overloaded?

I’ve tried this. Libraries load ok, but then you have the issue where you need to download the track into memory just to preview it. Non-starter.

Guys, have you done the speed test of your libraries by pc? Using your computer’s Engine over the network? It’s absurd, but something is limiting the link between players! Because using the engine library of my PC via wired network, because I do not use the wifi. Playlists load almost instantly! Wooww! What’s going on here!?

“Coded” as in the Engine firmware or coded as in some particular dedicated chip’s own separate firmware that InMusic has no control over?

During boot it will switch from Gbit to 100Mbit.

1 Like

That is so frustrating. What’s the point of limiting the port? Can Denon remove this limitation with an update?

Then that means Engine firmware, and it potentially could be improved by InMusic on existing hardware?

Don’t have insight knowledge. Just tested it a while back. Might be a stability issue or to better communicate with the mixer’s ethernet hub?!

Just to update from my experiences further, I was doing a live stream last week and had issues on both players mainly the second player, had a error message stating track did not load in time, freezing, slow searching and had to restart the player.

I have since ran the clean up in the desktop engine software not sure how this affects my ssd as there is no option to do this on the player directly from what i could see, it is still an ongoing problem and makes moving between playlists a challenge (if you have a large collection) as you cannot predict when it will freeze or worse just crash outright.

I hate to read this, but I’m glad I’m not the only one. It gets even worse when you add more players. I have 4, and the delays/crashes are so unpredictable. It’s getting to the point where I can’t rely on this setup anymore, and am considering switching to CDJs. I already had to swap my x1850 for an A9, due to build quality and the phono preamps dying. It is sad because I prefer everything about the Denon setup, but reliability trumps everything.

@djliquidice Anything you can suggest here? I know you’re running 4 players linked together and aren’t seeing this many issues.

1 Like

Pulled out the sc5000’s and paired em up with the sc6000’s this week. On my normal thumb drives (32GB) everything loaded quickly and worked as intended. On my ssd (a little over 200GB of music in aiff), there was a couple of seconds of search lag and a second or so of loading lag. Search is still working faster than the cdj3000 setup we have, but loading is slower than the 3000 setup (4 cdj3000’s). Tested both setups with the same switch.

2 Likes

Hi @tonelab77 ,

Let me begin by expressing that I feel your pain. When we purchase these devices, we we expect them to be rock solid and nothing less. As @STU-C mentioned, I’ve run these devices in a quad setup, first with 2x SC5000 + 2x SC6000M (not the best solution given a slight timing issue between 5K and 6K architecture), then with 4x SC60000Ms. In the early years, Engine OS was certainly pretty stable, though it seems that with some time, stability slightly gave way to new features.

From what I understand, the engineering team is aware of stability issues, though there are loads of potential sources for the issues you’re facing, and they are working on these issues as we report them.

Can you help us understand how your setup is configured? What storage do you use (it does matter), is one key to understanding what’s going on. Network is another thing to understand.

Is it safe to say that you’re hard-wired to a switch of some sort?

4 Likes

Everything is hardwired to a gigabit switch, which actually slightly improved performance over the built-in switch on the x1800/x1850. Slightly.

I use a 2TB Samsung T7, with about 3500 tracks (mostly in .aiff format). I have noticed that performance has gotten worse as the updates progressed. I’ve also seen performance suffer as my library has grown. I play on CDJs in clubs all the time, and there is no difference on those, no matter how large my library is.

Thanks for taking the time to explain your setup. I asked because lots of people have complained about performance and are using lower-end storage devices as in “basic” USB thumb drives and even SD cards, both of which aren’t very speedy (or reliable). The T7 is a nice drive with a fantastic burst speed (~1.05 GB/s) that far surpasses the SC5000’s USB 3.0 controller’s capabilities (~600MB/s). All of that computer nonsense out of the way, the T7 shouldn’t be a limiting factor what-so-ever.

I have noticed performance degrade over time, though have not played on my 5K’s long enough to notice freezing, though I have seen simple things like jumping to next tracks being slow. This was using a USB 3.0-attached Samsung T5, which is plenty fast as a storage device. These T5’s are fast enough to record 6K video (i speak from experience here).

To speak to the network a bit: These devices are hard-locked at 100Mb/s network speeds. I too use a gigabit (managed) network switch and did some experiments at the direction of some community members to configure the network switch to 100Mb/s Full Duplex, and that made performance waaaaay worse. I even setup USB3.0 Gigabit adapters to see if that would fix things, and again, things got reeeaaaly bad. My hypothesis is that these devices are coded in a way where certain latencies are expected.

I can empathize on how the instability of these devices can be detrimental to brand loyalty for sure. :frowning: I hope the inMusic engineers can shed some light on to why this is occuring on the SC5000’s, assuming they are still fully supported.

1 Like

Hardcoding one side (switch port) of a network link and leaving the other side (SC) on auto will always produce poor results. Both sides need to have matching settings.

Networks will generally failover to the slowest supported speed on the interface and half duplex which is what happened to you.

1 Like

Are you saying that a 100mb/s switch would yield better results than a gigabit switch for this application?

No, the SC/Primes advertise a max speed of 100mb and full duplex during negotiation when the link comes up.

in auto mode, the players work in 100MB full duplex, but if you try to force them work in 100MB full duplex by changing the switch settings, then instead of enabling this mode, the players will work in 100MB half duplex

1 Like