X1850 / SC5000 LAN… Gigabit or…?

Im only on standalone so i cant speak with expertise about the Denon link capability. I do however have lots of experience with RB link and CDJ-2000s. I always found it to be a little bit janky, lagging quite a lot and sometimes just disconnecting.

I guess a huge library would be better off on cloned SSD drives across both devices, but then it still doesnt solve the issue of standalone’s seeing performance problems.

As the guy said on the other thread, perhaps it would be good to have an official document from Inmusic so we can take guidance on what spec of drive we should be using.

Now that I think of it, my library loads quickly on the deck hosting the SSD which is equivalent to your experience with your prime2.

So I’m with you there that “All in ones” with slow load times could be related to drive quality.

1 Like

100mb feels weird, network chipsets have been 10/100/1000 for many years now. If it is 100mb only I would also like to know the duplex it’s negotiated. Half duplex would be very slow.

I have a P4 so will check that later today but that is assuming the P4 is using the same network chip.

Shouldn’t take 3 minutes, assuming that there are zero bottle necks, and 100mb/s is the speed that it is being transferred, 1gb should take 10 seconds (1000mb is 1Gb, give or take 24mb in old money). Therefore double that, it should take 20 seconds for 2Gb.

Obviously it’s not quite as simplistic as that, but should give a rough calculation.

You are mixing up Gbit or Mbit with GB or MB. Common mistake. The difference is a factor 8.

1 Gigabit per second network speed (1 Gbps) is theoretically 120 MB per second data transfer. Due to some protocol overhead it’s about 100~110 MB per second in reality.

So a 2GB database takes about 20 seconds on a gigabit network. However, speeds are hardcoded 100Mbit between player and mixer at the moment. In essence a 10~11 MB per second data transfer.

A 2GB database would indeed (@mufasa) take 200 seconds. Don’t know if it needs to be opened completely over the network btw.

2 Likes

The P4 is 100Mb, duplex is negotiated full with auto MID-X.

1 Like

Off topic, but what happens if you connect 5 decks’ Ethernet together on a network? Engine Connect is out of the question, I understand, but can they share drives, or is that also limited to four decks?

If that doesn’t work over Link, I suppose one could connect to a PC’s central library and use the players to browse and download from it. And there’s always streaming downloads.

Is there a reason for the limitation? I am not that knowledgeable about the proper tech details but if Denon at the time had advertised the sc6000/m to to use an SSD as an option why then cap the rate of transfer it just seems strange to me at least i know that others are having similar issues be helpful if Denon could clarify how this can be addressed.

1 Like

I may be wrong but I think there are other factors in play that impact that performance, it depends on other hardware components being high powered.

Thanks i just hope it can be resolved somehow it does spoil the experience and seems to become worse on the 2nd player when needing to go into different playlists in a set the load time can be several seconds to over a minute in my experience

2 Likes

And even worse on third player, and even worse on the fourth player. I wonder how much extra a gigabit port (on players) and a gigabit switch (on the mixers) would have cost to put in. I’m guessing no more than a couple dollars. Sad really.

i could be wrong …i believe they are gigabit port on the players, they are just limited to 100mbs.

the RK chip supports 10/100 or 10/100/1000 ethernet depending on the interface

Sad if true. Why not just use gigabit ports/chips on all gear? Not cool.

Player ports are hardcoded to 100Mbit atm. I would like to see more.

(Most TV’s still have 100Mbit and can stream 4K fine.)

I can’t imagine a fast SSD connected to a USB 3.0 port would be the bottleneck though. It’s obvious that the speed of the network ports are the bottleneck here. Browsing and previewing is always faster on the player hosting the USB drive. If that isn’t proof, I don’t know what is. I’m using a gigabit switch now, and there is no improvement over the built-in switch on the mixer. The ports on the players are the culprits. Wish we could mod the players with gigabit ports.

Players are Gbit but coded to operate at 100Mbit.

This was my initial impression as well.

It takes around 64secs to load one of my collection with around 800mb size mdb

Seems to correlate with this calculator

That makes total sense. Why purposely limit the port?

Don’t know exactly, but I thought Engine Connect stability.

Can the cpu process the data as fast as it can receive it? They may have limited the network speed to avoid overloading.