Why I will not buy a Prime 4 after testing

I don’t understand why people make big deal about sync. The crowd is not going to notice if you using sync or not. As long you play the right tunes they are not going to know. Beside there is also work using sync. You got to make sure you grids are tight. Also they do come in handy when using the prime 4. Be cuz of the switch layer. All am saying is it’s a great tool to have if needed

2 Likes

If you cant beat match by ear then you can’t call yourself a dj in my opinion, however…

Sync is a tool to be used. Since embracing sync my sets have become a million times more creative and fun to play, I’m on my prime 4 multiple times a day, I never would have done that on my previous setup. Sync gives you extra time to make the stuff that actually counts sound amazing, be more creative. It’s great.

5 Likes

:+1: right on Chris-Mac!!! That’s well said it’s all about being creative and having fun!

A lot of the stigma comes from seeing DJ’s who rely on it get frustrated and fail sauce on their sets when things like beat grids and detected bpm’s are off. It’s very important to know how to beatmatch and key match by ear, so you can be prepared for any situation.

2 Likes

You are right about that! Beat matching is a must to learn. But my whole thing is. It’s a kool tool to have

1 Like

absolutely dude

I guess this is part of the gap between people who want to DJ and people who just want to use DJ equipment.

While I agree with both opinions (to sync or not to sync), this statement is one I need to remember. :smiley:

1 Like

So we all agree syncing is kool! :grin:. So now that’s settled let’s all really get together and see how can we the Denon Community help out and make engine prime (software,gears)where it needs to be.

Already doing that… :wink:

I’m a 90s vinyl guy who still has his 1200s and an old American DJ mixer (with no sync button - lol). Don’t miss carrying 10 crates of vinyl to parties. I love th Prime4 with or without sync. In my opinion- it doesn’t really matter who uses or who frowns at user that use the sync feature. The point is that the competitors like Pioneer offers this auto sync feature in their hardware. I know for a fact the Pioneer controllers DDJ-SZ2 and the 1000srt have auto sync - you can hit hot cues or scratch and the beats always stay in sync - sync feature stays locked. So if Denon wants to compete with Pioneer they should also make this available on the next Prime4 update. I’m sure it’s an easy firmware fix.

I agree with that last comment. I use sync not all the time but I use it. I couldn’t buy a prime 4 in its current state as every time I would need to hit the sync button.

This is the original posters misunderstanding of how sync works (Serato DJ also does this). The tracks he was testing was unanalysed so the P4 knows nothing about the BPM.

90s vinyl guy here and still have my 1210s (MK4) set up with A&H Xone and will say you’re missing out on the Prime 4. It’s an amazing bit of kit.

The sync debate has pretty much gone now. People haven’t bothered about it since Pioneer DJ added it to the NXS lineup. That ship has sailed. What I do need to tell you is that the sync stays on and works as you would expect if you have already analyzed your tracks.

So to keep the sync activated you have to scan all your collection first in Engine Prime then once you load another track the sync will stay on. Just like scanning in Rekordbox or Serato DJ.

If you haven’t analyzed the tracks first, the Prime 4 will turn off sync while it is scanning the track. You just have to press sync again on that deck afterwards. If the original poster has scanned their collection then this wouldn’t have been an issue. I guess they was just testing it out and was using unanalysed tracks. This would cause the sync to turn off each time. He needed to load one of the tracks he had loaded before and it would have stayed on (as the P4 will have analyzed it).

I have been told this is intentional to stop big jumps as the track hasn’t got a BPM yet (the P4 doesn’t know anything until it’s been scanned).

Put an unanalysed track into a Serato DJ deck while playing and you will observe the same thing happen.

1 Like

Good description.

Although having to press Sync on loading each track is hardly a terrible strain on the would-be DJ, so I don’t see this as being any sort of deal-breaker.

1 Like

Interesting- so you have to manually analyze the tracks? I just assumed that the Engine Prime software automatically analyzed them when it was imported into the Engine Prime library. Thanks for the tip👍

You can do either.

I have analyses every music track I already own, using engine Prime . I just left it running through thousands of tracks for a few hours. When I came back, they were all analysed and therefore ready to Auto-Sync

If I buy music tracks while I’m at a event, then I can analyse those tracks using the prime player instead of opening up and switching on my laptop

Thanks for the detailed correct info guys :+1:

You’ve never DJ’d in a moving truck before, eh? Sync can help in that situation!

I actually have. Both a moving truck as well as party buses and a moving school bus with the top cut off. Still didn’t use sync. You can use sync if you want to. There’s nothing wrong with it. Just a lot of us prefer not to.

Still never understood this debate. Put Sync on there for those who want it, for those who don’t , don’t enable it.

It’s like professional photographers complaining about Auto focus on top of the line cameras

Never thought that “SYNC” button took up that much space to annoy so many people.

If you think top tier dj’s have never hit Sync in their life for different situations, you’re fooling yourself.

2 Likes