Waveform different from what is actually sounding

I need to know I’m not the only one having this issue. When I’m mixing two songs you can tell the kick in a song actually is not where the waveform says it is. I Mean, you see the waveform and clearly its drawn in there, but what you are hearing says its slightly ahead or sometimes slightly behind. That’s how I know it’s not a latency issue, the issue is the waveform not drawn correctly. And also, it is not happening with all my files, just some, it appears to be random, maybe it could be the pitch adjustment ? I don’t know. But I have years with this issue. I can’t be the only one.

EDIT: It also appears to only be happening with songs that are already playing because you can clearly tell something its wrong when you are mixing the next one, it could be that the pitch adjustment makes the waveform drift. I will post some screenshots soon.

The waveform isn’t a 100% defining standard for where the actual kick is, it never has been on any software. All music is created different and you need to use your ears to line beat grids up accurately over anything else.

Are you sure it’s not latency on your speakers or headphones?

yeah, I’m using my ears and that’s how I tell the waveform is incorrect. I don’t have this issue with pioneer gear, virtual Dj, or Djay. I have 10 years of experience with different gear, software and a massive ton of music of different genres, I know how the sound of a kick it’s supposed to be represented in a waveform.

I know it’s not because the issue is not in all files, and when I’m mixing two song you can clearly see one displaying correctly and not the other.

It’s just not a problem that I see that’s any different to other software.

If we’re playing ‘DJ experience bingo’, I’m coming up 25yrs deep, 17yrs using Serato, over a decade on Rekordbox, 3 years with Engine and a few months with DJay. Some tracks don’t line up.

Perhaps give some example track names, post some screen shots, tell us where you sourced the music, file types etc etc.

right now, I’m re-importing and re-analyzing all of my library, ro rule-out some possibilities. When it’s done and if I still find this issue I will post some examples.

I had this a few years ago. A reanalyse sorted it as for some reason (not even sure how or why) the waveform was from a different track! I also had it with the small overviews too.

It could have been a faulty Serato DJ library import that did it. Either way, reanalysing sorted it for me. That’s not to say it will fix it for you though but worth a shot. Also cleanup on the library to be sure.

It’s ‘ye olde’ now but think this was it: Brandnew Prime 4, Waveform displayed incorrectly

1 Like

Sounds like you’re confusing bass drum and kick drum. Kick drum either green or white in Engine not blue not sure right now. This can be confusing sometimes but on the other hand you can clearly see songs or song parts where kick drums is a little delayed compared to the bass drum.

Haven’t used Engine in a while but remember my initial confusion with it.

How would you define the difference between a “bass drum” and a “kick drum”? (the drum, not the frequency). I don’t think I ever heard anyone make a difference between the two, except in some type of speaker constructions where theres low/sub boxes and kick boxes but then it’s the frequency/build aspect they mean. Just curious!

I think he means bass LINE.

Sorry got confused. Meant Hi-Hat and Bass Drums of course

1 Like

That would explain it! Thnx.