Updated VDJ skin for Denon DJ Prime 4

Hi all

For anyone using Virtual DJ with the Prime 4 Series, Veejay Lizard (Tomas Cerny on FB) just made a zip file with xml & custom mappings and it’s simply PERFECT. Looks unbelievable! The waveforms match the deck colors and more. Extremely intuitive and color coded, makes the whole experience 10x more enjoyable :slight_smile:

The skin is still pending approval on the official VDJ Skins website but it’s already available for download:

In case you have any issues installing it, you can hit him up directly on FB.

I know it’s a very specific use case / scenario for people who use the Denon Prime 4 with Virtual DJ, but I think it’s one of the best “combo-integrations” for the Prime 4, when not used in standalone. And for those who like STEMS this is a no-brainer alternative solution (VDJ has the best sounding STEM separation by FAR and also assignable FX to each stem).

Enjoy

4 Likes

Virtual DJ on Prime 4 is the best! Much better VDJ than Serato DJ Pro. I sometimes use VDJ on Prime 4 to broadcast music videos, but in my opinion it should be taken as an example of the functions to be integrated into Engine DJ: it is complete in everything, everything you need to have, you can find it in VDJ. Great product.

5 Likes

I just got an amazing Serato DJ Pro skin for VDJ, so it feels like I’m using Serato DJ Pro but on steroids in terms of functionality and integration with Prime 4. That on top of the custom mapping for Prime 4 and you have the best combo possible :slight_smile:

• Prime 4 control and perfect mapping
  • VDJ customizable features, including video
  • Serato DJ Pro look and feel
  • VDJ Stems 2.0

The look and familiarity of the most widespread DJ software (Serato), with the features and best quality STEMS of the most advanced DJ software (VDJ), both available on the most powerful standalone contoller on the market (Prime 4).

1 Like

I read this post and just before, the one comparing OPUS and PRIME. And then, when googling, I found a page with screenshot of a VirtualDJ skin (sorry, new user, can’t post the link but these are the words) :

VirtualDJ - Hardware Manuals - PRIME 4 - Browser & Screen

And I have to admit that what’s irritates me the most with the prime 4 is the GUI. Someone said in the OPUS vs PRIME discussion that we could use more information about our track when browsing and be able to choose which column/info we can display. And I have to agree. I also think the screenshots over there are a good inspiration about what could be a usefull GUI with the PRIME in standalone mode.

1 Like

By the way the author of the skin just updated it today:

Hello, speaking of VirtualDJ, have you experienced any issues with the sound level when using Prime 4? I have tested the demo versions of VDJ on both OSX and Windows, and the sound is very low. Even when I turn up the sound settings on the Prime 4, there seems to be an issue somewhere. I have looked at the sensitivity settings in VDJ, but the sound level remains significantly lower than with Serato, which has a normal sound level. I was considering switching to VDJ to use the phases and the 1210mk2 occasionally with the Prime 4, but currently, it’s impossible due to the significant loss in sound level and dynamics. I think that what we gain in screen improvement compared to Serato, we lose in sound quality. I looked at the VDJ forum on this issue, and I wasn’t the only one. Other users have also complained about the low sound level. Perhaps there is a difference between older and more recent versions of Prime 4. I am attaching a link to a topic that discusses this issue of low volume: VirtualDJ - VDJ 2021 with Denon Prime 4

Haven’t heard of anything about volume. It was the same as with serato dj and standalone for me

There must be differences in the components of the Prime 4 then, because there is a really big difference in volume between Serato and Vdj with my tests.

It is partly digital, and partly analog… Plus in a mass production, there can be differences. You’re the first person I heard / read about having this issue, so it seems more like a case of bad luck/defect. My advice would be to bring it to your nearest authorized Denon reseller and get it serviced. Best 100 EUR I ever spent on a DJ gear (my USB Slot was defective but now everything was double checked and works 100%)

No, I don’t think I’m the only one having a problem with the sound level. Look at the link I posted earlier on the VDJ forum and by searching for “low sound prime 4 vdj”, you’ll see that I’m far from being the only one with this issue. So I was wondering if there had been any modifications with more recent Prime 4s, because mine was purchased at the very beginning of its release. And if you don’t have a noticeable difference in sound volume with Serato, it means that something has changed for sure, because you would have noticed this problem. So I think I will stick with Serato since it’s just occasional. Thank you for your feedback anyway."

1 Like

There were tweaks to hardware when the white Prime 4 came out as that had screen issues (not being able to dim) if I remember correctly.

Usually though a product cycle we’d expect to see a few internal components changing and feel there’s a few revisions on all these products that we’d never really see. Maybe the sound card is one of them?

2 Likes

I see, so this sounds like a typical “failure” in system which was resolved after production had already started.

I think if your device is still under warranty you can have this changed. If it’s not that difficult and you can just turn the master volume up or via VDJ turn the output up, this might be a workaround, good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.