Unwanted increase in speed when cueing in a track

I changed my rider a year ago and must say i am disappointed and a bit angry that these players can not do the basics properly. The extra stuff (layers, menu’s, etc) is great, but useless if the players are not stable or producing sound on par with CDJ’s. Kinda bummed out that i can’t send these units back. But that’s what you get for early adopting in this industry, i guess.

If i had to do it again, i would have bought a bunch of Pioneer players. I learned that hard way (again) that sound quality and stability are more important than anything else.

I’ve been using denon gear for a long time and let’s just say that I know quite a bit of their properties; the good the bad the ugly the pretty. Denon does make good gear. A lot of what I’m seeing with the prime ecosystem software is similar to the growing pains in traktor once upon a time.

I bought my deck knowing what I was getting into so it is getting a thorough testing. Maybe it’s time to take out the blow dryer out and see if my deck can handle a little heat.

If anybody is wondering if they should purchase a 5000m deck they should wait till the next fw update (if you career absolutely depends on it) and decide or buy now cause they are fun machines.

I feel that Denon relegated the sc5000 prime to xdj1000 status by defacto with the price drop and I feel that the M has taken over the flagship spot. I feel confident that denon will pour everything they got into making the M more awesome.

It just ■■■■■ to wait. < S U C K S

1 Like

Certainly not badmouthing any Denon staff here, just politely voicing my concern. I’ve seen them post on here recently responding to quite low priority threads, so it’s a little worrying that we’ve not even had so much as “we’ve got your back, we’ve reproduced it and it’s fixable in firmware/requires service” It’s obviously not just a case of one or two units. These things are no small amount of money for the vast majority of people.

“We are taking this seriously and will have a solution one way or another” Would be reassuring. Silence for so long is unnerving.

I know the focus is on the Prime 4 and resources are probably spread thin but this is fundamental functionality. If I can’t use these things in mission critical situations with confidence then why am I investing all this money to upgrade from something much cheaper, smaller, lighter and manages the core features just fine?

Maybe I’m better off holding off and “downgrading” to a Prime4 with fewer moving parts? It’ll probably sell better so maybe it’ll be better supported short and long term shrug

They know about the issue with the M. It’s just hard to replicate. The issue with the non-M should be a lot easier to resolve since apparently you guys can repeat it on video at-will. Send Vince or Paul a link with the Youtube video duplicating it step by step.

That… plus some of your other “can’t live withouts” are nothing worth diverting resource to.

Dude everytime you’re acting the same “pessimist” and everything people say other than me suck … yes RGB waveform is a " +" like other thing but we are in 2019, since 2017 minor people are moving from Nexus rig and all the features that I mentioned early are essential for Club & Mobile ! If you don’t want all this, free to you to buy some CDJ 1000 MK1 pal :slight_smile:
So for you flexible beatgrids are useless ? Mass tagging too ? Search Comment ?Pitch resolution ?

Debatable rather than essential

Yeahso what’s your prioritie dude ? i’m curious ? give some improvement list

Reliable playback at the requested speed and not randomly car-crashing your mix should be absolute priority no 1…no? I need gear I can trust 24/7 without caveats or walking on glass.

I’m more than happy for them to postpone fancy features to fix the basics. If it’s not possible to deliver something reliable at this price then I would have happily paid more for something high end and 10/10 rock solid, rather than 7/10 price and 7/10 reliability.

I’m not hating on Denon but this is exactly the kind of situation where good communication with customers is really key. For example Apple owned the FaceTime issue swiftly, it took a while to deliver the fix… but they communicated well to allay concerns.

4 Likes

A major improvement will be not to be referred to as “dude” or “pal” in a derogatory fashion.

I think all the people on forums deserve that from each other.

Wishing (as in a wish list) is fine. It seems increasingly common for people to buy something blind, with little or no research and just assuming that if they make enough fuss, claim to have interviewed their towns DJs preferences and slap their E-foreheads often enough, exclaiming that they can’t believe that a feature that they desire was somehow missed by the design team, who, for that reason, can never have been DJs etc., that their wish list will get added to firmware.

Someone said on this forum a couple of weeks ago that they’d added up the Prime wish list for feature requests and that it was over 200 things wanted. If there’s 10 new things added in any firmware update, so, in 20 firmware updates time ( @ three updates a year, that’s just under 7 years time) everyone could have their request added. Will the list stop at “just” 200 requests for the next 7 years though?

As I say to my punters at events: “Requests are fine, demands are not”

1 Like

S_Anderson, dude is never derogatory! But, well, you know, that’s just, like, my opinion, man.

2 Likes

Like so many things, it all depends on context.

Any way. I think the discussion has drifted away from the 5000M doing odd speed thingies when changing layers. Eyes front and centre OO :slight_smile:

I was thinking of the properties of the motor and it dawned on me. I said to myself, hey I wonder about the encoder that’s with the motor?

Maybe we should consider the properties of the encoder as well. In all my life with turntables I’ve never seen a motor randomly speed up and/or slow down even under extreme conditions. This is why I’m exploring other areas so to speak.

I’m thinking if it is a heat issue the encoder should be affected more than the motor no?

I haven’t yet recreated the motor speeding. But I did create something somewhat loosely similar. Will make a video by Monday

You mean whatever is telling the motor to run at a specific speed based on what the pitch fader is doing? That would certainly be separate from the platter rate-reading part that’s then affecting the actual music playback and doesn’t seem to be malfunctioning. I suppose it could also be whatever data goes from the pitch fader to the part that tells the platter how fast to rotate. Maybe it’s sometimes pointing to the soft takeover data of either that layer or the other and not the actual position of the fader.

That would be the job of the electronic speed controller. There is a lot of different functions on the deck that dictate to the esc, then the esc has to dictate to the motor and then the motor (or your hand) dictates to the encoder and then the encoder feedsback to the software. This is why I’m leaning on it being a software issue.

Why I suggest the encoder is that I can actually simulate your issue almost exact with a faulty encoder in Traktor.

When I say encoder I’m talking about the spindle

Were any of you guys back cuing with the platter just before the issue happened?

So I posted a couple of YouTube videos to this thread which demonstrate an issue which looks to relate to using Hot Cue 1. They’ve not been approved yet. They should come up if you search for ‘SC5000 Issue’ on YouTube. They are posted by DiscoDave181.

Thanks to Sevenkami they are here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqgGSMbjUo0

I’ve also been in touch with Denon in the UK but have no response so far. Will keep you posted.

P.S. I’m pretty sure it’s a software issue judging by the behaviour of the unit in the vid. Swapping to hot cue 2 see’s the problem disappear.

Edit your post and put the links in there. I learned that in this thread too. :slight_smile:

Weird. So that’s a third speed glitch where bend-like motion while holding the motor ON M record causes the other layer to bend a bit. Appears to again be related to sync.

FYI, that top light on your Numark’s meters is the limiter limiting.

It is the sync. It looks like layer A which he’s on is acting as the master. This happens to me when I first turn the player on and start up with using the sync feature and the platter starts with quatize on. It’s like the the sync is following the platter start up (for me).

With the videos you guys posted up I noticed things start happening when back cueing. I notice things when back cueing on my end. Is this what you guys see or notice?

I’m wondering if the people who have had this occur could post what sync setting they use? I don’t often use sync but my setting is set to beat and I can’t seem to replicate this issue. Is it possible your setting is set to bar and the player is speeding up to the nearest bar?