Tidal price change for DJs from April

It should do. I’ve had any issues in that regard. I’ve used it to convert a few playlists when I need to.

See im the complete opposite of the general consensus on here, £20 a month gets me a lot of decent music on iTunes or Traxsource (with VIP discount code) that I can keep each month. It then makes me more selective about which music im buying and using, which works out best in the long run.

1 Like

£20 on iTunes is 20 tracks isn’t it? That’s not what I would call a lot.

I’d count myself lucky to find 20 tracks that I liked enough to buy these days. :cry:

Cool, thanks for taking the time to explain the basics. I’ve now got a subscription for Tidal, I will give it go in time and see, my problem now is the DJ’s and Producers I follow on Apple is about 6000+ so now I will have to work through them to follow on Tidal as these are the peoples music who I buy currently.

1 Like

Depends, some are 59p, then 79p and 99p. Traxsource is about $3 but there’s always some 30% discount on it.

That trying to find 20 tracks that I like is about where im at these days, hence why I find spending £20 on buying tunes is much more worthwhile than renting it.

That said, if my role as a DJ was events, id be making use of streaming services and adding it to my expenses each month. But ive never been that type of DJ so small amounts of good music is perfect, and at that point id prefer to purchase it.

1 Like

Just as a general query, how many tracks do you have? You have been at this some time I suppose, I’m actually embarrassed to say how much I’ve been spending each month on tunes, I decided this year I would only stream four times a month instead of the four times a week. This has cut my spending drastically, I’m starting to think my values of not going for free music on a no profit to the artist is the way to go.

1 Like

Erm, tough question. Technically I started collecting music in 1987 when I got the Bad album for my Birthday. I really ramped up in the early 90s with West Coast Hip Hop and dance music CDs (whilst at school). I was also massively into Soul and Blues, I got the Blues Brother Soul Sister CD for my 10th Birthday, still got it.

So currently I have about 1000 records id say (I gave a load away that I didnt want, around 500), 2 drawers of a divan bed full of CDs, plus around 6 CD wallets and some more scattered around various locations around the house (anywhere the Mrs won’t find them lol). Then ive got about 6500 digital tracks on my computer, of which I have around 6000 of them on my Prime 2.

In amongst that there will be a lot of repeated tracks that I have on vinyl, CD and digital so it’s almost impossible to put a definite figure on it.

I guess ‘shed loads’ would accurate:)

1 Like

Outstanding :facepunch:t3: I had 700+ Vinyl but sold the lot and never looked back once I had got over the shock, CD’s I’m currently not going to count as it might be a problem that I’ve not admitted yet lol digital I have just under 10, 000 on my Prime, mostly ITunes and what we now call Apple Music, I’m trying to see how big a problem I have, I now know I’m in the correct place for like minded collectors.

1 Like

I would have given you a like, it seems I’ve reached my daily limit! Seems I’m not trusted enough yet :joy:

1 Like

Ive calmed down a lot these days, quality over qty. I still have a few tracks I just don’t like but they are all on compilations that I would have bought for other stuff. For example Gloria Gaynor - I will survive on a Disco comp, I wouldn’t play that if you held a gun to my head :face_vomiting:

I reckon 99.9% of my music is stuff I actually like myself though so happy enough. Luckily ive only ever played gigs where I can play what I want mainly as it’s just a sideline to a day job.

1 Like

We already pay to listen to it so it’s not a free service. What are you trying to say

Good alternative yes, but I personally ended up with a sub on TuneMyMusic as Soundiiz gave me more karaoke instead of original tracks results compared to TuneMyMusic… but to be fair both services have this issue from time to time…

And back on topic on the Tidal subscription I really don’t care to pay a little extra , but I do think it is a shame that it is only available for personal subscriptions and not in a family plan. Now I will have to end up with a family plan for my household, and a personal plan with added costs for DJ service enabled… Would be neat if any user inside the family plan could pay for the DJ tier without needing an extra subscription.

2 Likes

I would pay without any problems if it were possible to use the service offline.

Your so correct, I’ve went mental this year and had to remind myself to stop buying so must tunes, remembering that the music I love is the stuff I care about, I’m going to give this streaming thing ago, this is my hobby and I get what I put in really, I’ve read a few things about Tidal tonight that you can’t organise the music in BPM, that’s not helpful but something I will get around. Still can’t like your posts :joy: it’s now went from 18 hours Bam to 24!

1 Like

Haha don’t worry about the likes, not many like what I say as a rule anyway :rofl::rofl:

I tried it out recently but found myself a bit lost as to what exactly I was looking for. Coming from a workflow of listening to music before buying it was a bit weird just browsing. I can see how it would work perfectly for requests though.

Morning everyone, so I sent a few questions about my new jorney on tidal. Got this response, made me think of those that already use the app m.

It is (on other platforms). The offline cache is part of the deal for DJs.

Are you sure about that? Isn’t the idea of the $9 “DJ Extension” that it can be added to any of the consumer plans? It’s not a separate plan, it’s an extension to the plans.

1 Like

Who knows, perhaps in the next version this feature will come as a gift to all of us.

The increase is a drop in the ocean for paid/working DJs and is an extremely worthwhile add-on to a local library -

This is especially true given todays seemingly “throwaway” nature of near-valueless new releases which seem to have a short shelf-life of being current and requestable for a month or so, then never to be requested ever again.

I’m sure many of us are “guilty”, or have found it prudent in the past to buy several albums per month “just in case” that artist is embarking on their career, rather than being a one hit wonder - only to end up with an album of 12 tracks which we only ever play track 4 from - and even then, only for a few gigs.

A streaming service like Tidal for the cost of just over two albums bought “just in case” is really useful…. Unless it grinds to a halt at busy times, like it did on New Years Eve

The only issue that I have with this Tidal news is that as soon as I read the email, I logged into my tidal account to jump onto the appropriate DJ service add-on, only to find that it’s not available yet… they’ve sent the email out way too early, or are adding the DJ services add-on, way too late.

Room for improvement there Tidal

2 Likes