The great MP3 Dj Library Tidy Up 2024

But it is wrong to upload vinyl rips on platforms like Juno for sale without a disclaimer or any info. I always feel cheated. :frowning:

If I want vinyl quality and vinyl sound, I simply play the vinyl. With so much music out there, I rarely feel the need to make a vinyl rip to include something in a digital set, it does not limit my freedom. Sometimes I would love to buy a digital version of a record that I own, and if I then find out that it is just a vinyl rip, it feels really not-ok … even if I get a refund, it influences my view on the label or the artist.

And as always: other DJs may have different needs. That is ok. :blush:

Thanks for posting the links too btw, getting on there to buy some tonight. The great mp3 clean up has become, the great flac purchasing session… :blush:

Yes, some vinyl releases are excessively expensive … for the same amount of money you can often get the entire catalogue of a label on Bandcamp in a digital format.

And yes! FLAC files work with the SC6000 and Engine DJ. :blush: FLAC files from Bandcamp usually contain the artwork as well. But you can edit it together with the meta data in mp3tag or a similar software. FLAC is a nice format. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Yep that’s why some of my older stuff is vinyl rips. It just isn’t available on digital. Actually It’s one of the main reasons why I started collecting vinyl again. So many late 90s trance ect that never made the jump to digital. Vinyl all the way.

Man my typing is terrible…

Yes, I’ve been stunned sometimes when I find tracks on streaming services, just how bad they are, and some clearly sourced from vinyl. You’d think whoever provided it would at least tidy it up a little, if it was their only option.

I did find a track once where the stereo channels were out of phase, which removed all the bass (I was monitoring on a system with a mono sub).

For cleaning up the library I use to tools:

Lexicon $17 / month . It has some great “recipes” for cleaning up and complete toolbox for other work on your collection Beatunes $35 (one time investment). It does a lot, like automatically adding coverart, filling in missing MP3 fields etc. And it is a great tool to build perfect coherent playlists

1 Like

Thank you. :heart: Yeah totally, trust me since I started collecting vinyl my bank absolutely hates me… It’s been a lot of fun and I’ll never stop Collecting once you start you can’t stop… But some of my old mp3s god they sound bad. You can’t mix them into a near mint vinyl.

2 Likes

Ha that’s bad. Yeah definitely think some of DL stores get up to naughty business selling low quality mp3s and rips as 320s ect. Some of my store brought stuff is terrible DJdownloads seems to be the worst offender for me. :joy:

Thanks Ben-E

I thought the sub had died, as I had bass in my headphones. :rofl:

1 Like

I spent hours tonight buying tunes and then preparing them in engine DJ. I cleared my Sc6000 so it’s ready for only good quality tunes. I’m gonna stick my old tunes on an external for when I want to fire them up. Some better ones are making their way over to the new library, I’ve used MP3 tag to save the Artwork (so much more easy and intuitive than ITunes, so thanks to users who mentioned it). It’s actually been pretty fun, thanks to everyone who’s given advice here. It’s been great jumping back on the forum. Nice to chat with you all again :+1:

3 Likes

I recommend using MusicBrainz Picard.

You can create a “File Naming Script”, which governs how the files are stored on the drive. This can key off of common metadata, such as Artist, Album, etc, but you can add your own.

For me, I have a special Tag called “Collection”. This governs the top-level directory, within my Music directory, in which to store the files. I have “Collection” for lossless, “CollectionMP3” for 320Kb/s MP3s, and “CollectionOld” for anything else.

To facilitate this, I have a “Scripting” script that evaluates the %_bitrate% of a file, and sets the Collection tag to the appropriate value.

The added benefit is you can tie each of your tracks to the exact release, obtain album art, embed album art in the files, etc. You can match by searching for a release that matches the metadata (ie: ARTIST - ALBUM) and if that fails, you can do an audio-fingerprint search where it looks up the tracks that way.

2 Likes

Have you considered “laundering” all those low quality or dodgy sourced tracks using iTunes Match?

Basically, subscribe to iTunes Match, upload you collection (or even just the low quality & dodgy tunes), & if iTunes has them available, it will swap them for 256 mbps AAC’s from the Apple Music store.

1 Like

Great idea, didn’t even think of it

I have been using Match for since launch.

Saved me from having to re-rip my 128kbps

1 Like

Be careful as it will also swap your clean versions for dirty ones! If that’s a concern for you!

1 Like

I have to be proper careful when I’m doing daytime gigs, leave that hip hop folder alone :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I just use Apple or in old money ITunes for my tracks, Google tune for artwork, set aside an hour a day for your folders and transfer into year made or gene of music, I like to use the EDJ to sort them out into crates types with the type of music, 15,000 you will smash in no time, then you will never do it again, as for low quality tracks, there are a few ways of increasing the quality with software, I will ask my mate what he used for his vinyl. Good luck and enjoy finding that weapon you had forgotten about.

1 Like

What for free?

Recorded a mix tonight, Vinyl and new mp3. I can really hear the difference. Vinyl that is in near mint condition sound full and warm, mp3 via the sc6000 has artefact’s, the most minute wishy washy sounds on the top end and the low end does not compare in any way. Will Flac really be an upgrade or am I now doomed / condemned to keep spending huge amounts on vinyl? ha ha