Streaming Equipment, what worked for Denon users?

This is a Edelkrone HeadOne

With a boom arm and a wireless hdmi transmitter. I can go full 360 degrees or 720….

I don’t know why but I love that view the most.

2 Likes

This is a great angle. Something about that ‘twist over the shoulder’ look.

1 Like

@Thatswhatyourmumsaid my SoundCloud is Stream TRIODE music | Listen to songs, albums, playlists for free on SoundCloud

@MrWilks so I actually had a Hue light integration with Now Playing for about a year. I never released it because it didn’t do a whole lot. I wanted it to do much more until I found SoundSwitch which is much more advanced. So my Hue light integration didn’t make the cut in the end. I just use Soundswitch.

Now Playing does integrates with LumiaStream where you can use Now Playing data to kind of do anything with DMX, ArtNet, OBS, Hue, Nanoleaf, Twitch, Twitter …. Anything that LumiaStream works with. That feature is new. I haven’t made any tutorials for it yet.

2 Likes

Interesting! I’ll have to check LumiaStream out. I like that it can integrate with so many different services and protocols.

I love what SoundSwitch & Engine Lighting can do but having all the Hue lights do the same thing makes me want a little more so I have been trying out LightBeat to give myself some variation and I quite liked what it did. I may look more into LumiaStream.

I do use SoundSwitch with DMX still. That thing can’t be topped at the moment!

Any camera will do. I don’t think it’s that important. In fact, I probably run the resolution down a bit and the video compression high to minimize dropouts and keep sites I’m streaming to from complaining. I put the audio rates at the highest I can. I only point the cameras at what I’m doing with my hands, not the rest of me. I haven’t bothered with a green screen.

Wirecast. I’ve heard that OBS might allow better audio rates, but I found it an awkward interface. I usually multicast to several sites at once.

Windows desktop, though I’ve occasionally used a Windows laptop. You don’t need an interface. Use the USB.

Fiber plus hard lines now only. The players streaming downloads is wanky over Wifi, but my computers have always had no problem streaming over WIFI outbound. Who knows what was going on with the players, but hard lines are gold.

I have microphones, but have never bothered with them when streaming a DJ set.

I’m not interested in helping people train spot.

Usually headphones-only when I’m streaming at home, which is why I would like this: https://community.enginedj.com/t/split-cue-auto-side-in-addition-to-the-current-left-and-right-selections/42217

If anyone is looking for an easy way to stream and record your DJ set without you mic in a “clean” DJ audio feed then have a look at this document I made for OBS users. DJ setup rev1.pdf - Google Drive

3 Likes

A great document.

Having the XLR to USB opens up more possibilities too.

Good evening brother, gave you a follow on Soundcloud, catch you soon and I will listen and promote some of your sets if they are uploaded, :facepunch:t3:

I like this, gives more freedom and control. Something I will definitely look at.

Seriously those are beautiful :star_struck:

Hi Brother,

As I’m really new to this, with your diagrams you have two laptops set up? One for OBS and one for DJing, now I’m not on point with all Denon products, have I missed a trick here and I should be using two with my Prime 4, the diagrams are spot on Brother, seriously wish I had seen this before :ok_hand:t3: Will

Standalone - no

Using Serato or VDJ with the prime4 , you may consider a 2 computer set up. Some DJ and stream from the same computer without issues but your mileage may vary.

2 Likes

It was an example of a “typical” DJ set up, usually with some kind of DJ software. For a Denon standalone it would depend on which unit/mixer you are using. I can rework it with different Denon setups as well and post them here.

1 Like

I have not live streamed yet, so let me be your test case with the Prime 4, I will report back with my findings, you do make a great point with the two systems, using an Apple Mac Book with only two USB ports so I’ve had to get an upgraded Dual HDMI docking station ICZI USB C Hub 11-in-1 USB C Multiport Adapter with 2 HDMI 4K 30Hz, 4 USB 3.0 / 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, VGA 1080P 60Hz, PD 100W, 5Gbps USB C Data, SD/TF Card Reader.

I have this sneaky feeling it might not withstand so much plugged into the device at once, my fault find will be easy to spot if it does not, that’s a key advantage.

You should be fine, but If you run into trouble you may consider a thunderbolt dock.

I have an old Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock…bought it in 2014 still going strong

1 Like

Id agree with this, video streaming is system intensive so if you can facilitate it, use 2 computers when using DJ software too.

1 Like

There are limitations with laptops and USB ports since they usually have only one root hub. USB specification is limited to a maximum of 7 tiers. Therefore, for there is a hard limit of 5 daisy-chained hubs (not counting the root hub). Most host systems have just one USB controller that is integrated in the host system chipset, but in desktops you can add a couple of USB card controllers. On a laptop you will have USB conflicts with 3 or more USB webcams and USB peripherals, I guarantee it, shuffling devices to different USB ports until you find the “right combination” can help but be prepared for some headaches.

Think about what your needs are, how many USB audio devices and USB video capture (webcams or HDMI input)devices? IMHO a DJ setup is truthfully only a 2 shot stream, 1 wide for the DJ and 1 on the gear either top shot or side shot (people want to see your stuff and you doing stuff with it).

If your Mac supports audio input, then just get the correct cable, otherwise I suggest getting something simple like a iRig Stream or the Behringer UCA202 for ease, if you want DJ audio and a separate Mic feed then a 4 input USB audio interface (2 for the DJ and one for the Mic and if you want clean DJ audio without the mic), or a USB to XLR device like in my document. OBS for Apple does not support multi audio capture natively, so you’ll have to use something like Blackhole. PC users are fine.

If you’re adding VJ video to your stream, remember running all your applications on one PC/Mac will be taxing on the system, unfortunately no matter what “they” say about being able to run everything on one system, it can’t. Dedicated “boxes” for dedicated tasks, S-tier gamers still do 2 PC systems for streaming so should DJ’s that want to do VJ.

1 Like