Streaming Equipment, what worked for Denon users?

With the open and truthful policy here and the shared experience what equipment have you found to work for streaming with your Denon, please start with the equipment you use, Prime 2 users ect…

Hi everyone I’m Will Aka Thatswhatyourmumsaid, a hobby music lover who is about to leap online after many friends and DJ’s saying I should, I done what most people do start to ask friends and other social media users, as people have bought products and found them to be the correct fit or the opposite, don’t buy or waste your hard end cash! I thought a post about these products would help others in the future or you may have upgraded to something better over time. So this post is not for advertising but for general information on what works with Denon products. As I always say “ Energy Flows Where Attention Goes” let it be positive :pray:t3::raised_hands:t3::facepunch:t3:

Denon Prime 4 user:

1. Camera I’ve gone with the Razor Kiyo pro in this area, spoke with my kids and they said all the top streamers use them.

2. Green screen I got online, I think all are the same, I have an old projector stand that I use to attach the green screen too. Some of my friends place them in the wall, clothes pegs come in handy if you make a temporary wire or string set up.

3. Stream software, I’m using OBS free download, would be interested to know of others if free.

4. Mac user, the first problem with any laptop is the amount of USB plug ins required, Dual HDMI docking station ICZI… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0987JJ6TF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share The more the better as you get more equipment you need more.

5. Ring light with stand, this area is mental, personally I don’t care how I look, however my kids said I needed one! Guess I’m ugly so I went cheap and cheerful. Ring Light with Tripod Stand &… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082WCSVJ9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

6. Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202 Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface with Digital Output, Compatible with PC and Mac, this is entry standard, would be interesting to know what to upgrade too in the future. Also as an IMac user there is only two options and this I have found is the best for me.

7. Internet connection, depending where your set up is there are many things you can do, rule number I have found is if you stream Wi-Fi will let you down, hardwire or use TP links into your preferred wire system. TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT Passthrough… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G5Q9E0O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share no need to buy extra cables if your near a electrical socket.

8. Microphone :microphone: :studio_microphone: now this is an area where you can spend a fortune or pennies, I went cheap, a microphone for under £20, I will upgrade in the future and I’m interested to know what other Denon users use.

9. Music naming, so a lot of DJ’s use VDJ for this, it helps with the audience online asking what is the name of the tune and the artist, a lot of listeners love to buy the tunes or other DJ’s listening in, only recently have I downloaded Shazam but we all know this does not work 100% and a lot of software is blocking it. So I’m really interested in what is free to download and give the listener a visual experience with the artist and name of song.

10. Speakers :loud_sound: this is also an area where you can spend a fortune or pennies, personally I have Yamaha but there are so many great options out there. My advice is go to a store and hear what you require.

So there you have a list of products you may require to stream, hopefully :pray:t3: you find it useful and with the knowledge of others on this forum I’m sure it won’t be long till I’m buying new cables, software and equipment. Enjoy :loud_sound::ok_hand:t3:

What audience numbers are you achieving with that setup?

1 Like

I’m not streaming on a commercial level at the moment, just friends and other DJ’s I know, I don’t refer to myself as a DJ just a hobby music lover, we share new music and old with each other, 3 tunes a turn while streaming, I’m about to go live on Mixcloud in the near future so I’ll let you know when it happens, for me I’m not into the numbers game, however, I do understand others will be, rightfully so of your investment needs to pay back for future events, I also don’t do commercial events, get asked loads by event organisers I know and radio stations, I have a full time business so can’t commit to a weekly slot.

I’m just doing the videos as an addition to putting up “audio-only”, so haven’t gone full thruttle into my setup yet, but it’s currently as goes:

Gear used: 2x SC6000K’s and an x1850 mixer. the x1850 is plugged into my MacBook Pro straight via USB, so no additional soundcard used.

So still keeping everything pretty basic, but as mentioned, I find it a reasonable addition to just having the audio on Mixcloud or so :slight_smile: Might do small upgrades here and there later on.

Camera: iPhone

Software: OBS Studio, with Now Playing 2 on top for showing the ID’s.

Lights: Nanoleaf. The wifi in my office where I do the recordings has been pretty poor, so I havent synced the Nanoleafs to the players. Just got a wifi-extender though, so will do from the next episode :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.nowplaying2.com :slight_smile: See my video above for an example :slight_smile:

1 Like

Outstanding Kris :raised_hands:t3::tornado::loud_sound::raised_hands:t3: love your setup, so interested in you did not need a sound card, I must have an older MacBook that is running Intel and I require one. Also loving the tunes :raised_hands:t3::man_dancing:t3::man_dancing:t3::man_dancing:t3::raised_hands:t3:

The x1850 has a built in soundcard, so can be connected directly. I did have the Prime 2 as well, which required an external one :slight_smile: My MacBook Pro is more than 10 years old, but still does the job reasonably :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ive not ‘streamed’ but I have done a couple of YouTube video mixes, I had 2 Fuji cameras set up (that I already owned) for multi camera. I then fed both video files and my Serato recorded audio into Final Cut Pro X and merged them together for some multi cam footage.

OBS is a great app for streaming though, from speaking to friends who do it.

1 Like

Yes my prime 4 requires the sound card adapter, I think this post might get a lot of comments and advice, seriously I love your set up, I’m in my garage at the moment slowly converting part of it for live streaming. :raised_hands:t3:

Yes I’ve had to buy another Razor camera, it’s on route so I can do the multi camera view, I watched a great YouTube this morning on the how to set that up by Crossfader, logical in his process.

1 Like

Those modern gaming/web cams are of excellent quality these days. Your sons are right about lighting though, it’s super important.

Look at some cheap LED panels on Amazon too, you can ones with adjustable white balance fairly cheap, they are about the size of a phone. A reflector may be useful too to bounce some light, another cheap addition that will make a big difference.

For multicam in OBS, the “Advanced Scene Switcher” plugin is your friend, if you want it done automatically :blush:

1 Like

I cane here to recommend Now Playing 2 as well.

It’s made by @TRIODE and is the best implementation of now playing I’ve seen.

The Nanoleaf look great now they sync to the Prime players and Philips Hue hub & PlayBar’s look great too and can be found on eBay cheaper. The Hue system is expensive but I have 24 Hue lights around the house including four PlayBars, colour bulbs and strips along with lots of outdoor colour wall lights. BBQs look great with a DJ set.

As for the Prime 4, I just take a 3.5mm Jack out and go directly into the Mac. I take it out of the Booth so I can send an independent signal and works for what I need.

Best of luck. You have the right idea and it doesn’t matter how much traffic you get on your sets, it’s about how it makes you feel knowing you’re doing it. One viewer or 100 viewers, if you’re enjoying yourself then go for it!

Oh and OBS with some scenes with different cameras on it work well.

1 Like

Outstanding advice brother, yes you are so correct about the Mac options with the Jack, that’s the simplest way to connect. I do have both just incase one fails. The set up you have is amazing, those lights are the dogs ■■■■■■■■ :facepunch:t3: a few friends have them and they really make any space feel like your out clubbing or in a nice relaxing bar, seriously off the music subject, a great friend of mine who suffers from PTSD uses the light set up you have to help with his therapeutic calmness. So glad people are communicating on this subject as the more people who stream the better to keep the music alive for the masses or for that one producer to keep the music we all love alive.

1 Like

Hi Kris, what program are you using too show the Artwork, Artist and song? Is this VDJ?

This is Now Playing 2.

Absolutely fantastic and works inside OBS.

1 Like

Outstanding :raised_hands:t3: had no idea this program was around​:loud_sound: my first live stream I’m going to use this. Thanks :pray:t3: Will

Just set it up in OBS exactly as it states in the instructions and keep your WiFi off. I know that I have to but you may have mixed results.

Connect via network to ensure it works. Have fun!

1 Like

About the mixed results - when making sure the (actual) ID3 tags are properly filled out, it’s usually pretty precise :blush: that’s one of the main reasons I hope changing the ID3 tags within EDJ will be available at some time :blush:

1 Like

Mojaxx gives a good insight into it and explains how to set it up and a run-down of the options.

1 Like