Stems on console

I read some news on the new DJAY pro 5 stems and leaving aside the quality which seems to be at the level of serato and vdj, the most interesting thing is that they obtained these results without necessarily having to have a mac with the M series* According to DJcityTV, the software also runs well on a 2019 MacBook Pro with an Intel processor. This makes me hope for the improvement of the stems on the prime4+ (which I don’t own :grinning: ), but which I hope can also be enabled for the other Denon home consoles (mine SC LIVE 4 for example) :grinning:

What would be more important than stems (many djs don’t use them) would be the fantastic and magical beatgriding of djay Pro5. It’s a revolution and there is absolutely no software on the market which is able to do that. All softwares are obsolete now

3 Likes

I use stems :grinning: and while I recognize the splendid novelty of the beatgrid, for the music I play it would be an advantage that I wouldn’t exploit

Yes everyone has his own needs :grinning: But we are dreaming because I don’t think that those fabulous tech will be imported or bought by In Music

And that great term would be something that everyone could say about some feature or another; stems are worthless to some DJs, Beatgrids would be completely unused by other DJs, fx would be a terrible waste for other DJs, “all those buttons” would be “a costly over-the-top surplus thoughtless trivial inclusion, those two mic channels when I don’t use even one… etc

There’s no one particular feature which is going to wow the world, or even any significant minority, especially after the initial hype and wow-factor ebbs away

1 Like

I agree. After testing djay’s beatgridding, I immediately put flexible beatgrids at the top of my wish-list for Engine.

2 Likes

But that’s the thing - aren’t beat grids used by everyone on Engine OS??? Knowingly or not and whether or not they choose to hit sync or not, the tracks they play will have a beat grid and bpm automatically assigned to it? The algorithm DJP5 has implemented is THAT much better it has literally eclipsed everyone else’s when it comes to doing that foundational prep work. Playing a transition track that goes from 96 to 124BPM? a drum and bass vinyl rip? A soul track from the 70’s with live percussion? - its got you. And playing modern electronic tracks? its still got you, but only now its even tighter on the transients.

I’d argue that beat gridding is therefor hugely important for digital DJing as it touches virtually every genre and style of mixing. The amount of people that migrated from Traktor to other software because it lacked a way of dynamically beat gridding those types of tracks was massive (albeit seemingly!) in the mid 2000’s.

I think (but admittedly I may completely wrong here!!) that it’s now become a fundamental part of the modern DJ that thier tracks can be looped, quantized for drums, FX and synths, acapellas etc as standard and that is all made possible (and tighter!) by a decent beat grid engine. Hell, most of us will organise their library in some areas by BPM and those BPM’s are generated as a result of an accurate beat grid.

Sure not everyone is going to want a new and improved engine on face value but i’d wager that it would actually be of greater benefit to a larger amount of users than we think. And that is the sentiment i see with the reviews of DJP5 - everyone is blown away by the new engine as they realise that it will touch everyone’s workflow and not necessarily a smaller crowd, like the use of FX or Stems would.

…but maybe im way off on this!?! :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Out of interest, has anyone actually used Djay Pro themselves and analysed all their music to see how good this new gridding logic is? Or is all this hype/amazement and hunger for the latest ‘must have. cant live without’ feature based on a couple of youtube videos showcasing it?

I keep seeing all this fanfare around this new groundbreaking feature, but id be interested to see who actually uses the app, has paid for the subscription and is using Djay Pro for their DJ work.

Just to note, i own and use it.

My younger brother uses and subscribes to it. I haven’t analysed ALL of my music through it but he has added maybe 200 of my vinyl rips and other tracks that required a lot of manual effort. id say there were circa 10 that didn’t come out near perfect first time. Very impressive.

Ive just been having a play around with William Devaughn - Be Thankful for what you got (notoriously difficult intro to beat match)… i looped 8 beats of it after its been analysed in the new version then attempted to sync it over a 4/4 electronic music track, the grids were perfectly lined up to the beat where they previously weren’t but unfortunately the track dropped out of sync really easily still.

So from my point of view, im still going to have to mix that track using the old 2 beat method i had previously used, so whilst its great these grids are aligned, im not sure how much real world difference its going to make.

Edit: Its going to be even more difficult to achieve this tonight, as this is my ‘digital’ DJ gear for the evening :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems strange that it dropped out of sync if the grids were now aligned correctly. I haven’t experienced that (yet). Great track by the way. I’ll try and replicate it tonight and see if it happens too. Good luck with your gig/set!

1 Like

Im gonna give it a proper run out when i get time to see just how good it is… any better analysis is a good thing, id just like to know what actual difference it makes to the accuracy. At a guess id say its better for mid track looping etc where the grid is often off beat, that will be the main benefit… i dont think it will allow 16 beat loops on disco records though, but may be wrong.

Its my first all vinyl set outside the house for about 20yrs, so will see how good it is with the training wheels taken away, absolutely zero digital backup tonight so bring it on:)

2 Likes

I did add a bunch of old tunes to my phone (the only thing I have that will run DJayPRO 5) and I was going to do a stream showcasing the Fluid Beatgrid© but it all turned out to be a bit of a faff.

First was trying to get the phone to stay still at the back of the Reloop Mixtour without falling on the floor (it did fall!), then figuring out where to put a camera so I could show the mixer and screen without it being in my way. Then there was the issue of the Mixtour not having a mic input, so talking through what I was doing meant swapping headphones…

I gave up in the end. I’ve not tried the WDV track though. I shall investigate. Was that the 1974 original or the 1980 remix?

1 Like

The 1980 disco version PK, the first 16 beats are a mess for beat matching, i usually just loop 2 beats (i think beats 5 and 6 of the track) to mix it in.

Edit: the 1974 one is unreal though, both are my black record box for tonight.

Having a quick look and sticking a click over the top, the intro doesn’t look too bad. Just over 108 and fairly steady.

Doing a live analysis of the whole thing though, you can see the drift.

(this is from an app called liveBPM)

It’s really noticeable when manually mixing it, seems to throw way out. Noticeable enough to be the track at the forefront of my mind when people talk about live drums drifting.

When you compare to say, Linda Williams - City Living you can mix that like a house track it’s so tight.

OK I’ve just done a quick test. Be Thankful on left deck, set to loop over 8 beats. Jungle Boogie on right deck. I cued up Jungle Boogie, hit play then sync.

They stay together nicely. It’s not a 100% lock. You can see the waveforms sliding around trying to keep in sync, but considering the tracks are not warped, it does a good job of it.

Even if I deliberately hit cue off beat, things get pulled back into place again.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s possible to beatgrid files in djpro5 and then export in engine ? Anyway, this is so powerful that I’m really about to sell my Prime4 and go for djpro5. This is also on Windows now. In my sets I have to play very often pure disco and funk titles. I spent thousands hours beatgriding that style, but I’m fed up now. And I don’t want to do it again everytime denon announce an “analysis improvement”. Nothing in fact. I’ve been mixing on vinyl and sl1200 while 40 years, then went for digital thinking it would be more practical, but in fact I spend more time in front of my computer than in front of my P4. Boring. Better go for the future.

Neural Mix 2.0™, Fluid Beatgrid™ and Crossfader Fusion™ are only available on Mac & iOS.

No Android, no Windows.