Start of tracks missing / not analysing correctly continued

what BPM did RB pick that track up as?

I only ask as Engine seems way off. Beatport has it down as 96 which is also bonkers.

Beatmatching to a Youtube video of it gave me around 130.6 assuming it is the same mix (around 8:07 in length).

2 Likes

Im just browsing the Traxsource charts laughing to myself at the weird BPM values being thrown up. It’s all pretty nonsense at times isn’t it.

1 Like

Dear @Mishta_P and all concerned,

workaround to cast up the BPM: Take your stop watch and count. Then you have a good estimated item.

Brgds BeatMaster

1 Like

Do you know what… I think some of the trance classics actually might be. I have thought this myself also, as most of them were only ever released initially on vinyl or CD. DJ downloads was the main store back in the day.

RB has the different gear mix at 128. I put 128 into Engine and it fixed it.

Ah yeah, it’s a whole different ball park with vinyl rips… ive had mixed success with my own. Ive had to delete some as they were just awful. If you can find an updated digital master of the track on iTunes or one of the download sites I bet it will work much better you know.

Think logically with dance music vinyl too, which part of the track is likely to be the most worn, that first part of the first beat where we constantly scratch to cue it in. Ive got a copy of an old disco record on 45 and the first beat or so is almost unplayable it’s so bad. I also thought my own house record were in good nick until I dug some out of the garage to use, then I realised the start of them were often a right mess from use back in the day.

1 Like

You are probably right especially with regards to those with first beat cut. I kind of thought this myself over the last few days. However when I put some classics on the sc6000 via beatport link it still struggled to get the grid bang on throughout on them.

I’m definitely seeing a pattern of Engine struggling with breakbeats. I also mix Melodic house first big go mixing stuff tonight. Tracks with breakbeat that are borderline chill out do not have the correct beatgrids. It’s not a deal breaker though. If you or anyone else has the sc6000 and beatport link try some tracks from artist like Warung from Anjunadeep. Definitely think the team at Engine should look into this.

Honestly im at the point now where as long the first few and last few phrases are in time I dont care about the rest, I only use it for looping mainly.

Id say get into the habit of grid editing on the fly with the SC6000 then sync the data back to your desktop app afterwards… I personally would rather be hunting for music than editing grids when im on the sofa so I just do it whilst playing if needed.

I have a track, William DeVaughn - Be thankful for what you got, classic disco record… it’s all over the shop so I just made sure the start is somewhere near then left the rest.

Breakbeats are a nightmare anyway though, loads of mine are reading weird speeds. Im sure I have a 124bpm house track in Serato reading 170 or something just because its got an offbeat percussion to it. It beat matches fine, but the grid is nowhere.

1 Like

I had no idea you could sync from the player to the software! That’s great! Seems I can just turn off quantise to forget about grids completely.

Sorry to go off topic here. Just a quick question.

I tried to sync again tonight from pc to the Sc and it duplicated all my tracks on the player. Any setting I need to be aware of?

Also do you or anybody else on here have an LC6000? If so do you know if it’s possible to change the sides that layer A and B are displayed on the Sc6000? Because I’m limited on space my layer B has to go on the left hand side and the screen displays it on the right. It’s super confusing.

If it’s not possible to change, this is a quality of life feature Denon and Engine should consider. Would be so much easier to swap layers sides on screen than moving setup around! :sunglasses:

I have one but I only use it with Serato… I know that feature has been requested at some point though, to select which layer is which.

Cant help with the duplication but you can delete the db file from the drive then re-sync, you’ll be able to see it in the Engine folder of the drive when connected in computer mode/or you have the drive connected your laptop. the db file is called m.db… you can also copy it to your desktop so in case anything goes wrong you can restore it.

For syncing back to the desktop, it’s in sync manager and it’ll pul back any changes you made on device during a set, I use it after every gig before I put any new music onto the drive… that way all my cue, grids and loops are saved in my desktop collection then.

2 Likes

https://community.enginedj.com/t/lc6000-prime-players-assign-lc6000-to-layer-a-option/43432

2 Likes

Thanks STU, useful information.

Tbh seeing as I have Beatport link now, It almost becomes unnecessary to even have a collection, Crazy times…

I had a long mix tonight, just finished at nearly 3 am.(Neighbours away on holiday)… Plenty of breakbeat style tracks from Beatport played, grids pretty much spot on. So I guess the problem is just some of the naff old MP3s on my drive :joy:.

I’m not going to worry about it now. Mixing on the Sc and Lc 6000s is something I’ve not experienced for around 10 years. It’s so nice to be back on a traditional setup, with no computer involved. Anyone sitting on the Sc Lc6000 deal just go for it. Only having the one screen doesn’t take anything away from the setup.

Thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to try to help me out here. I’ll be sticking around on the forum :wink:

1 Like

My setup is in the ‘show your home booth’ thread. Got Serato running through a Mastersounds mixer and my OG 1210s, with the LC-6000 doing the 3rd deck duties for me.

I use a Prime 2 for gigs too, and a little Numark controller as backup.

Most of my older MP3s have been replaced now, I decided to just re-buy them from iTunes as loads of them were dodgy limewire downloads that I shouldn’t have had in the first place. They were also all on CDs I no longer use so rather than mess about ripping them it was easier to pay 99p for ones I’m half bothered about then a couple of quid for AIFF versions of my favourites.

1 Like

Nice, I’ll have to check the “ show your home booth “ thread. I need some setup ideas. As I’m just using my PC desk at the moment so is not a permanently setup area.

I’m currently using my DDJ RX as a mixer because I want a Pioneer 4 channel or similar and obviously absolutely everything is still out of stock! Which absolutely s u c k s for our hobbyist / working DJs. I almost went with the prime 4+ but the Sc6000/Lc bundle was go good to turn down. It’s a great way of getting people into Denon and engine ecosystem at a reasonable price.

I will probably jump on iTunes at some point and rebuy some of my favourite classics, if they are available, it would be worth it just for artwork tbh.

Had a thought about the first beats that are missing. It’s because the person pressing play on the vinyl rip hasn’t hit record at exactly the same time or before the start isn’t it.

I think everyone has been there with the mp3s… Some older tunes have just have never been released digitally so there’s no other option than searching YouTube, or vinyl rips. Which is prob how DJ downloads got most of its stock back in the day anyway :joy:

I’m actually finding Beatport link to be great. You miss out on a couple of features of the decks though, such as searching by key ( the key is still displayed though ). And obviously if the site goes down or if North Korea decides it doesn’t like DJs, it could be a problem!

I’m going a little off topic here. Not sure on forum rules.

1 Like

Dear all,

I think it’s time to remind to this topic and phps there is a context.

Pls feel free to vote for it

https://community.enginedj.com/t/flexible-beatgrid-ability-to-set-a-manual-downbeat/36984/1

Phps DENON can contract both issues in one strike.

Brgds BeatMaster

Forum rules? You mentioned the first beat missing in the post, that is almost too on topic considering it was post 54.

It is also impressive that we appear to have got somewhere near to resolving the mystery.

I tried a few older tracks (although new mp3s) and had no issue with grids aligning much like your experience with Beatport. It is a shame that the old digital versions of some of those older tracks don’t appear to exists though. Would be a shame to lose them to history as the vinyl will eventually be too far gone.

2 Likes

This is a very good point, and sadly it’s not only bootlegs and white labels. Lots of official releases only exist in the vinyl space, I feel record companies almost have a duty to ensure everything is made available digitally to preserve the music.

2 Likes

Hi yes definitely think it’s resolved had to be old vinyl rips. Funny what you say about Beatport. Because I am finding grid is sometimes out in the older stuff. Also the quality of some of the older stuff on Beatport is just trash ha ha. Newer melodic house stuff I play is pretty spot on though! Loving the Sc6000 so far. Closest I’ve had to old skool set up in over a decade. That pitch fader two man it’s nice.

Yeah it needs archiving digitally for sure. All styles should be preserved for future generations.

1 Like

I am an old trance nut, and also have drifted towards melodic, progressive and organic house. This is more down to what I can get away with playing locally, although I am really enjoying the slightly slower chilled vibe.

Still have to get my weekly fix of ASOT though, but have added in Nora En Pure’s weekly show too.

1 Like