Start of tracks missing / not analysing correctly continued

Hi, @NoiseRiser

No problem thanks you for the reply.

BPM range; default 78-155 Auto and then re-analysed on a number of occasions.

Common features of tracks affected;

Older Trance classics and anything that has a breakbeat or non 4/4 section within any section of the track. Edit majorly affected any chill out tracks featuring a breakbeat.

Styles less effected house /melodic house / techno

Import methods tired;

Drag and drop at first, I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled the program, deleted my engine library.

I then imported via Rekordbox XML. Both methods sadly have the same results. I can’t be sure if Rekordbox XML was worse or better than the original Drag and drop.

I hope this info is helpful.

OK, now we have some details in one place - this is very helpful to understand what’s happening. What You are telling us here now is that, the issue is mostly occurring on the breakbeat tracks. So… would you be able to send us a test batch of like 2-5 tracks so we could test them out also? Maybe we could find something. Use wetransfer, and paste a link in a comment. @mufasa @STU-C @Reese Maybe we could give it a try on different versions of Engine and see what we can find…?

2 Likes

Just a thought. When you have the break/drop beats. I’m assuming a 2/4 bar, or similar, have you configured that in RB? By which I mean have you reset the 1 beat. This might do something funky within the XML (someone more knowledgeable than I would have to add more thoughts)

The other alternative, have you used RB’s variable beat analysis?

I’m thinking of your BPM drift issue. If the track is 138 (one of the greatest tempos, theme for another thread maybe?) but there is a section that RB analysed at 128 it would give the track an average BPM of say 137.4. Engine does not do variable grids (which is a good thing) so would simply apply the 137.4 it was given across the track.

I’m not sure about doing that won’t I get in trouble for uploading copy right material?

Never had any issues in RB with beatgrids so I’ve never really looked into it. I only have a handful of pure breakbeat tracks / chillout tracks. But all are wrong in engine. As are any trance with breakbeats at the start or in the break down, but its not limited to songs with beakbeats. They are the worst offenders though.

And no only ever used the default analysis method. But its a good point for those who have.

Just read this one. is it possible to just put my Rb libary on my SC6000 via the internal drive I’ve installed? Would completely end the problem for me…

Beatgrid offset for all tracks after Rekordbox import - Engine DJ Software / Engine DJ (Mac & PC) - Engine DJ Community

You can send it directly in DM to me and @mufasa. This is not for money making reason, but for research.

I’m really not comfortable doing that. Is there not some way for me to completely bypass Engine analysis on pc?

I opted to install an internal SSD in my sc6000 for my collection. I assumed Engine would be just as simple as RB, Serato etc. And that I would be able to just painlessly transfer my collection over. I’ve never had this amount of problems with regards to track analysis before.

My brain was completely fried yesterday so my replies probably didn’t make much sense! I gave up in the end… And decided to just spend the night going through my collection within engine, one playlist and track at a time.

Put it this way, when I brought the Sc6000 lc bundle, I didn’t expect to be up until 5am in the software manually beatmating and adjusting the grid the metronome :joy:. I kind of went down this route to avoid software and software issues.

If I can just use RB for beat grid info and move it over to the Sc6000’s internal drive that would be the perfect solution for me!

Its certainly not a widespread issue, ive got approx 5500 tracks in my library, across a wide range of genres and aside from having to re-align the odd grid (which i do whilst im DJing with the on board grid edit usually) ive never had a single instance of parts of a track not being visible.

@NoiseRiser is an extremely experienced and trusted member here so anything you send him will be purely so he can try and assist you, but that is entirely your decision. The other way is to raise a ticket then send the files directly to the Inmusic support team when they get back to you.

I personally dont rely on importing any of my Serato data across to Engine, i just analyse all my music again in Engine itself, it might seem convenient to do it the other way, but each software will be running its own processes so in my eyes its best to let them do their own thing.

2 Likes

Rekordbox is not perfect, engine is not perfect, serato and traktor are not perfect too. Nothing actually is perfect, and best is to make a workflow best for You. We will try our best to help, but we need to have a proper starting point. First we want to try to get to the root cause of this by using exactly same files for analysis. We can do that on different computers and on different systems, so we can simulate as many scenarios for bad analysis as possible. Then we can pull more conclusions out of this and maybe come up with a proper solution.

4 Likes

Yeah originally I did that import directly. I then tried RB export with the assumption beat grid from RB would be there so tracks wouldn’t need to be analysed again. You say you’ve never had issues. One users experience is clearly different to another’s. I am seeing other users jumping onto forum with beat grid issues, so it’s not isolated to just me. I’m not so bothered about the beats missing now as I can compensate in the mix or rebuy the track. But poor analysis of most of my collection is clearly a major issue for me. Hence why I’d like to bypass engine analysis on pc if it’s possible?

Is it possible to just reformat my Sc6000 internal SSD and then transfer my library and let the Sc6000 do all the analysis work? Cheers.

See id say that missing beat is of huge concern as that is the thing that stands out more than anything to me… misaligned grids and incorrect BPM readings are just BAU for all DJ software, but something like that is an anomaly that should be investigated.

I hear you. Okay yeah I understand no software is perfect. But I’ve not had the beat grid issues with others. You can see from my pic RB has done the job and engine has completely failed.

To be clear I’m no fan boy, I brought my sc6000 lc6000 combo to move away from RB because it keeps crashing on my DDJRX. I wanted to move away from software and software issues. And back to a traditional 2 deck set up, hence why I just spent £1500 on standalone gear. Bangs head against wall :upside_down_face:

I will think about it, with regards to sending files over. But I do really appreciate all the help you guys are offering. As you are offering to help a complete stranger and that is commendable!

It is certainly an odd one. These mp3s are very old though and have lived on multiple drives over the years. If I’m honest, I haven’t had enough time to actually mix on my new decks to figure out how widespread the issue.

I’m going to test tonight by streaming the exact same tunes directly from Beatport link onto the Sc6000. Is it possible to import Beatport link playlists to engine on pc? Im not seeing an option.

1 Like

There is no pc option for streaming for denon, but I want to suggest You to try the streaming on the decks. Check what will happen and give us the feedback. Maybe load a streamed track on one deck, and Your original track from local collection on the other deck. See what will happen. We will wait for Your feedback.

Yes, if a Rekordbox folder is present you should get this message–

But, as @STU-C says, “that missing beat is of huge concern.”

Yep exactly what I plan to do. I’ll check tonight :wink:

Cheers for this info. I don’t have a usb. Is it possible to just drop the RB collection onto my internal SSD when the player is connected? Will it just find the collection on startup? And will it literally be the same data as from RB? As that would be the solution.

When the deck is in computer mode, the pc should see all connected drives.

Beats missing is just my mp3s. I can confirm as not happening on beatport.

However look at the job RB does of analysis on this track. In comparison to engine…

When I shift the grid it’s correct for a few bars I have to manual know and type the bpm to get it bang on through out. This just bad algorithms. Definitely something for engine to work on.