SSH on the Prime 4

Not sure how much I can say here about tinkering, but if you look into the firmware update files you can find the ext4 filesystem and look into the ssh configuration. I think the only way to authenticate would be the single key specified in authorized_keys. Denon have done the right thing and it doesn’t appear the corresponding private key is in the firmware files.

Honestly I’m not sure why SSH is on in the first place. I don’t like the idea anyone with the SSH key could cause my hardware to stop working.

5 Likes

I would love an ssh to my denon prime 4. But the first thing I would do is swap the ssh key. Cannot risk having someone on a show turning my denon off or removing songs. But still would be a major deal break here. Also open-sourcing the linux distro, since denon is not on the lead (yet), would possible toss them to the lead, with community development and support.

Why am I waiting almost a for a year to have some track info on the jog wheel when i could code that myself?

Take android for example, there is the aosp part with opensource and then there is the closed build based on the aosp but with nice features and proprietary code.
We could decide what to install, either a community build, or the official denon build with nice features like tidal and so on…

For example in the opensource edition you could remove the nda’s stuff like tidal support for example.

Because i can, i do run a custom build on my samsung galaxy note 9, perfect no, but that is what i want. It fails and nobody says “Crap samsung”, instead i blame me or the build :slight_smile:

Again , my 2 cents and sorry for the rant :slight_smile:

That would be very very nice to see your opinions on this.

1 Like

Hi, Can you please give a link to the SDK. Thanks

1 Like

I don’t have access to that and most likely only available when partnering up (like Serato and Atomix did).

So “you can use the SDK if you want to develop something” is not true.

Which is a point for giving users the ability to change the SSH key to their own.

Wow, this thread really digs deep into the heart and soul of what DJing is about :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

but you made the choice to read it !

Huh, that comment makes no sense on a forum, you literally have to click into a thread to see what it’s about.

Poor effort at trying to be clever, 2/10

Wow, this reply really digs deep into playing down the requests of people for topics you pretend to not be interested in. :roll_eyes:

If you don’t care about SSH access to your unit, then ignore this request. I’m not shitting about the stuff you want and I don’t like as well. Have some decency.

(also this thread is not about “the heart and soul of DJing”, it’s about getting SSH access, just in case you didn’t notice :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

Yes and the company have already stated that will not be providing SSH access to their devices, and plastic 2 bit ‘developers’ on internet forums need to understand that they have no rights to ask or expect for it to be given.

You bought a device, either use it for its purpose or sell it. It’s not your place to hack into it and make changes to how it operates.

2 Likes

Cannot understand this doorkeeper mentallity of some forum members here!

On any topic the same people jump oboard in a protecting but offensive way of communication, when it comes to any topic that may not be in the “consense”. Please dont close this topic now;)

Is this an open forum? Can we discuss here? Its like going out on the streets of berlin in 2022…

Idon’ t even like that i cannot th fck write the words that i like to write here, cause the algorhythm is afraid i could say something false.

Seems like some are company owned forum members who act as costumers. @are you aware i mentioned you?:+1:

I love my P4. And even if i like it the way it is, i would like to see what people with certain skills could do for us all.

So now im afraid to get bashed the worst way, but people with skills should do their thang and share!

:level_slider:my 2€

3 Likes

It’s called basic common sense. The same way Samsung don’t want people poking around in their washing machines, Microsoft in their games consoles, Sony in their cameras, Audi in their car operating systems… these companies spend hours developing and testing robust firmware that ensures their units are usable in the public domain.

Why do people think they have the right to hack into this firmware because they can somehow do a better job?

It’s utterly ridiculous and just plain arrogance to sit on your high horse demanding this access like they have some god given right to it.

If these forum warriors were that good at their job, why aren’t they working for these large companies doing this development already? It’s nothing more than bored computer nerds with an inflated opinion of themselves.

Just because somebody has a skill, or some knowledge, it doesn’t automatically give them a right to use that knowledge to poke around inside things they have no right to. A builder doesn’t roll up to somebody else’s site to start laying bricks uninvited.

The person I replied to above even states in his bio that he wants to ‘fix the software’… that’s a below the belt dig at Denons existing engineers, painting himself as somehow above them and better than they are at doing their jobs. What gives him the right to think he is superior to these people? He can’t even provide his real name on this forum.

6 Likes

FWIW, I didn’t close this topic 2 years ago, so the discussion is still active without censorship.

Adding to above “censorship” statement. Some words are indeed blacklisted, because the forum owner is an American company. But let’s be real, does an F-word really add to a constructive conversation. Maybe you’d better do that outside on the streets of Berlin or Amsterdam (my country). :sunglasses:

On the topic of SSH access, I still feel the same as 2 years ago. InMusic most likely will not give it, unless someone hacks or brute forces the devices. So the initial topic subject is like pulling a dead horse.

If it’s about adding possibilities, the right way to add new features is going through the feature requests section of the forum.

1 Like

I never read such bullsh*t before.

Don’t you change your desktop wallpaper? Have you heard of tuning a car? Putting better brakes on your bike? New wheels on your skateboard? New caps in your old amp?

Again, if you’re not interested just ignore the topic. But stop sabotaging other peoples request with your “I only use it the way big daddy corpo tells me to” crapitalism mentality.

Feels like that “if you don’t like this country you can geetoouutthhh” right wing murican garbage, which surely is the reason this forum exists: So people like you can tell other people to just sell their stuff if they don’t like it.

1 Like

Ah yes, where you can “vote” with your ten votes that you’ll never get back because no feature request is ever completet. Gotcha.

So you’re comparing changing a desktop wallpaper to being given SSH tunnel access to alter firmware on a piece of hardware? You might also want to head to the website of any car company and check their terms and conditions regarding ‘tuning’ and how it impacts warranty.

“I love my SC6000s and X1850 but have a huge urge to fix the (unfortunately closed source) software.”

What exactly are you wanting to ‘fix’? and what makes you think you can do a better job than the in house engineers employed by the company?

I think you need to get yourself an ego check, Mr anonymous forum warrior.

I got votes back from “BPM editing on player”, Platter hold - CUE and relocate missing files.

I also don’t see any request for SSH access to the device to vote on. Wouldn’t get my vote, but hey it might be popular?!

So, gotcha as well…

2 Likes

Okay, logical points are empty, now we get to analyzing bios and ranting about that? Is there a low you won’t go to mr “just sell it if you dont like it”/ home dj only?

Yes. Because to me SSH acceess is way more essential than having a background image. Most computers I use only have SSH and no desktop at all

For example (not that it’s any of your business) I want to fix the connection issues between the x1850 and sc6000 because I’ve written support multiple times and it seems like some sort of handshake issue to me. Plus I want to collect performance metrics from the sc6000s which isn’t possible currently but would be relatively easy with shell access.

And the LEDs/Buttons, maybe you have already seen my Thread here:

Imagine having shell access and being able to turn off the blinkenlights completely? Maybe even change some colors (where multicolor LEDs are placed)?

It’s not about a better job, it’s about doing anything at all. All the issues that I care about and voted for are wontfixes.

1 Like

Good for you, and since you got them back for one topic all other peoples experiences are invalid. Sorry to insult you gread god-king of the denon forum.

Let’s not set things on fire please

And for what it’s worth I also got votes back of implemented features. And you can always take your vote back on a voted one and place it on another request that has become more important and made it into your own top 10.

2 Likes