Special character issue with sync manager

Hi, I’m a newbie to engine dj eco system. I’ve switched from 10+ years of Traktor to Denon DJ. Iv’e got some issue with the engine prime desktop software. Importing tracks inside the software is ok, but when I transfer them with the sync manager to USB stick or in the Prime 4+ internal drive, some tracks become red and cannot be used. After some readings and some trials I’ve found that in my case the issue :

• is related to special characters such as é, è, ç in title, artist or genre names (I’m French). Changing those characters solves the issue, but it is not a solution for me to change all the characters of all my database.
  • is not related to the characters used in the file name, even if they are special.

I’m quite surprised that the sync manager is not able to handle special characters in ID3 tags. It’s such a basic fonctionnality. I’ve found threads on that topic but with old versions (such as 1.6.x), but not with recent versions. Is this a new bug for 3.3.0 ? or is this “normal” :frowning:

I’m on a M1 mac with Sonoma 14.2.1 with engine 3.3.0 / Prime 4+ 3.3.0 (exFAT SSD) / Sandisk USB stick (FAT32)

Hey @Barbataz

Welcome! This is unfortunately a currently known issue. There’s no real progress on fixing it from what I’ve seen but would be great to get this one fixed. Beyoncé tracks never show up (along with many other characters) when packing to drive via the sync manager.

Drag and drop the file over to the stick is a workaround but ideally the issue needs fixing.

Here another references:

Thanks @MrWilks for your quick answer ! It’s really annoying then. I’m surprised that with such a fast pace evolving software this kind of basic requirement isn’t fulfilled. It’s very disappointing.

If transferring files directly into the usb stick works, it means that the issue is « just » the sync manager. I suppose that streaming tracks with special characters works also ?

Please Denon team, we need a fix for that !

1 Like

From memory streaming works okay with these characters. I think it only affects the tracks that have been imported from a Serato library. Is yours imported this way?

If you pack tracks that aren’t from a Serato import then I think this works. It seems to be a bug that affects tracks that have been converted from a Serato database and packed.

The other option is to remove any characters without accents in a ID3 tagger but as you are French this will be hard as it’s a major part of your language!

Hopefully we can start the ball rolling on getting a proper fix for this as it’s been an issue for a while now. Happy new year!

The best way to solve this would be to use Lexicon and swap the characters that are causing trouble via the smart fixes tab.

You can decide which characters you want to switch and it will do your entire library, you can then rewrite the files and sync back to engine.

I’ve found how to solve it !… by doing nothing !!

Explanations : The problem of red tracks occurs when transferring with sync manager to an external drive. When transfer is complete some tracks are red on the engine desktop view of that drive (which seems related to special characters). Trying to load one of them from the drive into the built in player doesn’t work.

BUT if I unmount the drive after the transfer, and mount it again, all tracks are still there on the drive view, and none of them are red again :open_mouth: Using the drive in the Prime 4+ is ok, all previous red tracks work perfectly. It seems that it is a « first time issue »… which has lost me 2 days of searching :confused:

So definitely a bug that needs to be fixed, but hopefully everything’s ok now.

For the record, this happens whether the track has been imported from Traktor library, or directly from my hard drive.

2 Likes

Interesting. I will have to check this out and see if it fixes it for me too.