Sound issue on MCX8000 controller when using Serato or Virtual DJ on Windows 11

I hope you are fine. I am writing to you because I am experiencing a problem with my MCX8000 controller. When launching Serato or Virtual DJ on my Windows 11 laptop equipped with an 11th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 32GB of RAM and an RTX 3060 graphics card, songs are choppy and seem to pick up speed without me turning up the fader the controller.

This problem has always affected my controller, which discourages me from continuing my passion for music and DJing. I have updated the controller drivers and the firmware to their latest versions, but the problem persists, before I had another windows laptop and the same thing happened.

the problem is only with the laptop, if I put music with the USB flash drive it works fine

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you can give me to resolve this issue. I hope that together we can find a satisfactory solution so that I can enjoy my DJ equipment and continue my dream of being a professional DJ.

I appreciate your time and attention.

attached videos, the sound is as the video is heard, if you pay attention you will hear the knocking or an inappropriate sound

best regards from chile

video 1

video 2

Start by removing the rubber covering the jog wheels.

When you say latest firmware, are you on Firmware 2.5? Do you also have the Windows driver v1.0.5?

Choppy songs could be USB latency, experiment with different USB latency settings, start with 5ms and increase it.

1 Like

Increase the latency setting on the laptop - try a massive setting up in the 100 to 200 milliseconds setting first, and see if the choppy sound goes away.

If it does go away at higher latency settings try bringing the latency down by 20% at a time and playing a song. When the choppy sound comes back, put the latency back up.

Run the above tests with “everything” switched on… eg some file searches, some effects, try stems (although expect the performance to drop through the floor!) , video playback (if used) , recording your set to a file etc - all the usual things you’d do really.

Note: more latency, gives your laptop more time to think about how it’s going to make clean sound… but it makes it less responsive to button presses and control moves - it’s a balancing act

1 Like

I have tried everything, by configuring the delay of the denon software this works for a moment, but then it happens again, I have tried disabling the WIFI, GPU, bluetooth controllers, even disabling the antivirus, but nothing fixes it, I even tried another usb cable and nothing

yes, I have Firmware 2.5 and driver v1.0.5, Latency fix, it only works for a moment, then it happens again

If it works at all then it shows it’s latency.

Try testing hot latency versus cold latency.

So, leave the laptop powered off fully for a couple of hours so it can cool down fully fully.

Then retry the latency tests quickly, before the laptop has chance to heat up

Laptops with heavy processors sometimes shut down their hottest cores for a while to let them cool down, then the cores that were off switch on, and the cores that were on , switch off, It means that an i7 becomes about an i4 from then on, until the laptop can idle down on a nice bit of low intensity word processing or a bit of Googling etc

That lack of processing power during the thermal throttling can make a pc almost a bare minimum spec for running some DJ software, and especially anything with stems handling or video or fx

I have the processor configured so that the minimum state is always 100%, I don’t know what the problem is, I have also tried it with the laptop just turned on

Video 3

If it’s possible you should try a different computer to help pinpoint whether it’s your controller of computer. Perhaps a friends device?

Windows traditionally needs more care and attention as a DJ OS than Mac in order to optimise it so there could be lots of potential reasons, and W11 being a new OS they may be reasons that haven’t been unearthed as of yet.

Did you try all the stuff on the serato windows optimisation guide?

I have another Windows computer with good characteristics, and the same thing happens

Yes, I have visited several websites where they mention how to optimize the PC, and I have done it too, there are also 2 things that I have not done in that guide, I will try it

That may be only something of a “request” - with the processor cores doing everything they can to prevent heat damage.

However, it may be something more intrinsic to the laptop. Check for things like latency checker apps - some laptops are known to run vast amounts of tat in the background - such as a desperate (and resource hogging) search for wifi , or for Bluetooth or usb inputs etc

Keep us posted

It keeps happening, I already tried everything

Best to speak to Serato support. They may arrange a remote session with you to check out your computer.

Here is another video, sorry My English,but what I meant to say is that regulating the delay only works momentarily, then it happens again

Video 4

I am very sad that I cannot play music, I have never been able to because of this problem, it is frustrating, in my country this controller is very expensive and for this to happen to me is very sad

Well, it’s pretty cheap for what it does - especially considering it’s standalone (so it has its own brain) as well as being able to act as a keyboard for DJ software.

Try the same mix and tunes from a usb key/stick using the 8000 standalone - does the same thing happen? This rules out file format issues and slow record/playback media (some usb drives and usb thumb drives suffer delays after spin backs, searches etc )

Continuing the discussion from Sound issue on MCX8000 controller when using Serato or Virtual DJ on Windows 11:

HELLO FOLKS,

YOUR ARE NOT ALONE ON THIS SOUND ISSUE OF DENON DJ MCX8000. I’VE HAD THIS PROBLEM NOW FOR MORE THAT SIX MONTHS. IT HAS COST ME MORE THAN $10K ON BUYING A NEW COMPUTER, REPLACING MY CONTROLLER, CHANGING ALL THE CABLES, UPGRADING ALL MY SPEAKERS INCLUDING THE SUBWOOFER AND STILL NO LUCK. I’M PRETTY SURE IS THE DRIVERS NOT HAPPY WITH WINDOWS 11 PRO. THE MOMENT I UNINSTALL THE DRIVERS, EVERYTHING STARTS WORKING AGAIN.