SC6000 Sound Quality

sure :grin:

so far so good

yep

did you connect the soundcard via usb? such cards don’t run on their own.

you might also have to set the channel of the card you’re using to “through” or “bypass” mode.

Yeah, connected by USB, did some research & had to set my Mac to external clock S/PDIF as the clock source, which at least made the SPDIF light on the interface light up, it made bugger all difference though, still no signal, there doesn’t seem to be a bypass or through mode though

does that card have a control panel? or some other kind of software for the settings?

No it doesn’t, it’s all good, thank you for trying to help, I’m probably clutching at straws anyway.

I am going to send an email to the store That I got it from & see if they make any suggestions, I’m not sure anything can be done though & in all honesty I think I will be returning the SC6000, it’s disappointing because I had to wait 6 months for stock to finally arrive & I love the player in nearly every other way, but for $2499 retail price in Australia, that’s a lot of money for a media player with sub-standard sound…

no doubt. especially considering that the cdjs had proper sound since 2006. at least if you used the digital out.

1 Like

I wanted to stay away from Pioneer, they are massively overpriced for what you get & the SC6000 seemed to have it’s measure in almost every way, but would be curious to know if anyone here is using them & if they have had any of the same issues?

I read that the CDJ 2000 was basically delivering the source through digital out without getting in the way & sounded great, but apparently the 3000 is doing something similar to the Denon & messing with the audio, I could be wrong though…

correct. cdjs starting with the 1000 mk3 deliver a bit-perfect representation via digital outs. keylock or master tempo as it’s called by pioneer not considered of course. so if you keep keylock off and use the digital out with a cdj from the 1000 mk3 to the 2000nxs2, you get exactly whatever the original file provides. the quality of the analog outs varies of course and so does the keylock quality. overall the nxs2 is the best sounding dj player to date because the 3000, as you mentioned, resamples everything by default. so the nxs2’s position at the top is not likely to change in the near future.

1 Like

I absolutely don’t want to offend anyone or start any “sound war”, but isn’t the quality of the audio file itself much more important?

For example, even if I use uncompressed or lossless files, the quality is so different… some sound great, some are just loud and mastered to death, some sound just awful (even lossless originals from Beatport & co…) I’ve always felt that much more as an important factor.

And then it goes on with the PA. When I think about, how often I’ve experienced lousy PA’s in clubs (including our own). Poorly set up, poor quality… I have really experienced many good DJs in my life, but how often the PA was just crap!! Once in Dresden, Paul van Dyk, it was just terribly loud, you couldn’t hear any melody or vocals anymore, plus a beastly time shift through the hall - and that’s just ONE example. If we talk about techno… nobody really cares, neither the “technicians” nor the DJs nor the guests. I mean, with that background, this discussion sometimes seems a bit funny, as if you were in the hi-fi forum. Apart from that… of course it is interesting and necessary to discuss the sound quality of the devices and I also like to participate in it. The only question is how relevant it all is in the end.

4 Likes

neither is more or less important. if the file is crap it’ll sound crappy and if the playback device is crap it’ll sound crappy as well.

and the same goes for everything else you mentioned. the weakest link of a chain dictates the final quality.

1 Like

You’ve brought some logic to this regurgitated topic. In the older posts of the forum I see that the first prime, the sc5000 was out for over a year before anyone said anything about a high end roll off. That in itself speaks volumes. And then the posts show denon improved what was already very good sound anyway with some firmware, improving the high end still further. Dance floors won’t notice anything lacking, streaming from home certainly won’t.

It’s fine for DJs already but If denon can pacify the audiophiles by offering a higher end frequency mode which has a less modern pitch key adjust functionality as a compromise, it would help.

5 Likes

that says nothing. to begin with it takes a while before enough units are sold. also not all customers have higher standards. some even use vdj and are happy :crazy_face:

then there’s the group of potential customers who noticed it and didn’t buy the players because of that. from this group you’re not gonna hear or read anything. also not to forget the group of customers who simply returned the unit without posting here. i know of 2 people who did that and i’m just one single guy so do the math.

gotta be kidding me. did you ever hear early engine os versions?

i remember a guy posting here that the club owner asked him what was wrong with the sound when he brought his denons. in doubt use the forum search.

it will if it’s at least at 128kbps. read above regarding the mp3 test.

this is miles away from audiophilism :rofl:

not having whole parts of the frequency range cut off should be taken for granted when it comes to the flagship player.

1 Like

This always sounds so dramatic, like the units sound like my mother’s old kitchen radio. Do you listen to classical music with these? :wink: When I look at my music collection… maybe 10% of my music (mainly techno and trance) is mastered in a way that you can talk about “quality”. The rest is just mainly loud and makes noise.

IF we really want to open this discussion, we need to talk to real hifi nerds. And they laugh at both the CDJ-3000 and the SC-6000.

2 Likes

We are not talking about club set-ups here, I am to old to go to clubs these days & I remember some terrible systems, massively overblown bass & not much else.

I kind of get over people calling you an audiophile because you like good sound, you are pigeon holing someone, if you take some time to listen to quality Hi-Fi equipment, you will understand just how good music can sound, it takes something that is already enjoyable to another level, completely different experience.

I was merely making the comparison between my previous set-up to the SC6000 & my ears told me straight away, I don’t care about the science or the numbers or anything like that, it’s irrelevant when you can clearly here an audible difference, it didn’t know about any previous posts about this, I started this post rather naively as it is my first ever Denon Dj product & the first media player I have ever purchased…

3 Likes

Don’t worry, I think we’re 99% in agreement. I understand you and I feel the same way. I’m just lucky enough to be able to use the digital output of the unit. I just wanted to say that the way we use the unit (at home, to enjoy music) is probably not exactly the purpose of the unit… you know what I mean.

I couldn’t agree with you more, if someone has never heard quality audio, they wouldn’t know the difference & don’t know what they are missing out on…

1 Like

well that’s how it is. parts of the highs are gone. how would you describe it?

with trance it’s particularly bad.

so do i and it doesn’t make the problems go away in any way.

Can’t it be both, both enjoyment of listening as well the craft of mixing? It’s makes it way more enjoyable!

2 Likes

of course and that’s how it’s supposed to be. at least to some extend.

to be clear, i don’t expect anything even close to an audiophile experience from dj gear but the top models should meet certain minimum standards. one of them being able to reproduce the common frequency range. even my phone can do that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Then there’s something wrong with my ears (which I won’t deny :crazy_face: ).

But the thing really interests me…

Therefore: do you have a concrete example of a trance track where you can hear the disadvantages of the SC-6000? I still have a Roland USB sound card here and want to see if I can make some comparisons. The topic really interests me, especially because I was previously of the opinion that the SC6000 would sound good.

all of them :stuck_out_tongue:

just pick any and do an a/b comparison. the denons sound dull at best and depending on the track there’re even certain parts you don’t hear at all. sort of: “oh that’s actually in there as well” if you hear the original properly.

it doesn’t sound really bad but simply incomplete. from the upper mids upwards it’s also not clean but that’s a minor flaw.