SC6000 Sound Quality

I agree with you, I have a Hi-Fi set up at home that sounds a lot better than my Dj setup, I don’t expect my Dj setup to be the same as this, but I like to bridge the gap as much as possible & yes, they should be meeting minimum standards, I shouldn’t have to suffer any audio loss from my previous setup to incorporate these players, there is really no excuse when you are releasing a product at this price point & I am actually quite shattered (first world problems) because I have been so excited about getting this player…

2 Likes

Which mixer do u use?

And is there a special trance track we can agree on as an example?

In direct comparison with Traktor the SC6000s sound a little dull with all my music. If I don’t mix with both at the same time, it’s something I can live with.

What worries me more is that at zero pitch and key lock off there are sometimes audible artifacts from the key lock (like kicks that sound less sharp).

900nxs2 at the moment but it doesn’t matter because i tried a bunch of mixers and the problems did not change.

should ideally be one that’s mastered well and covers the whole range. sam laxton e.g. is usually a safe bet in that regard but i’ll quickly go through my crates … Marc Loage - Diversion should be a good candidate.

apparently the keylock is never really off even if you hit the button. however that’s something i’ve been told. without reverse engineering engine os that’s of course something that can’t be verified.

Although I know you will not hesitate to mention this repeatedly, you saying “that says nothing” isn’t convincing. People weren’t saying anything negative in the old posts I looked through about the 5000 for over a year. That’s not nothing lol , quite the opposite.

It’s like when people sit having a restaurant meal. Everyone’s enjoying the meal perfectly until granny chimes in with “the peas are a bit hard” and slowly everyone else around the table slowly starts agreeing when moments before they were all enjoying every aspect.

I agree that if denon can make some more change to the high end, without permanently compromising key shift, analysing speed, screen scroll smoothness, the second layer, processor temperature, development of other firmware features or overall reliability then they should.

But if they can’t, it’s still a great range of high performance products

1 Like

of course not which is why i added 4 examples.

People here were also not complaining about the asymmetrical pitch bend and the overly sensitive jog :joy:

Thank you! Will try this afternoon and report back.

1 Like

Regardless of this discussion here: this comparison is great. :joy:

1 Like

hehe it is but unfortunately in this case it’s not imaginary.

We all know.

The issue described down here is more concerning especially to M owners. VV

Hopefully things improve on prime sound. If anyone wants audiophile quality get a good interface for your smart device and an audiophile app :wink:

1 Like

I’ve been involved in this discussion before, so I’m not going to rehash my old opinions, and I’m not technically experienced enough to challenge the analysis that’s been made, but if what you’ve said is true, why would Denon see the rest as a problem? If the sound is OK from the digital outputs, and they make a mixer that can take that input and put it out perfectly (assuming there is not another argument here about the X1800/50), have they not achieved their job? In a similar way that Apple don’t make new products that take mini-Jack headphones, is analog out not truly a long term issue anymore?

Ok, that’s what I did:

I own the track “Diversion”, its a lossless aiff from Beatport. I played it with the SC6000M. Pitch was 0, no keyshift. The SC6000M is digitally connected to a DB4, gain at 12 o’clock, which gives me about 0 or -1 on the level meter. I recorded the whole thing via DB4´s USB soundcard with Audacity in 24bit, 44.1KHz (I can’t get the driver settings to 48KHz, 24bit, which would be the maximum for the DB4 record out).

So the whole way down to recording is digital.

I then used Audacity to compare the original Beatport file and the file played and recorded through the SC6000. I normalized and matched the levels. After that I listened with my USB soundcard “Roland Mobile UA” and the headphones Beyerdynamic DT770 pro. During listening I could switch between the two versions.

Honestly, probably my ears are too bad, but I really hardly hear a difference. With a lot of good will, I might really be able to get a touch more heights and transparency out of the original file, and a tiny bit more “punch” in the lower ends. Sometimes I thought I could hear that when switching, sometimes not. Probably my ears are too imprecise for such things after many years of loud music. But if you want to have the recorded file, feel free to contact me. However, I provide only a piece of the track (legal issues). There seem to be no private message (PM) in this forum, right?

The rolloff on the digital outs is literally only -1 to -4db starting at 16kHz. Someone needs to have super amazing ears to notice it. The average listener will never notice. I didn’t even notice it on the digital out until doing a visual pink noise comparison.

2 Likes

it’s not.

if you just wanna compare that yourself, no need for recording. simply play the original via usb through another channel and use the crossfader.

there is, i’ll send you one.

no and no. both has been proven otherwise. just have a look at the threads i linked above.

Yeah, all good points

1 Like

I think the same as you. The old threads that come up on search are inconsistent and inconclusive. There’s no way to tell what bias (not just Audio weighting bias) has been applied, what pre-test deliberate roll-off squashing of the sounds or doctoring of graphs has been accidentally performed before any graphs were posted a year or two ago. Some people just get hold of a particular chew-toy and keep it going and going long after any inkling of a point has been flogged for death and, as is the case here, already been adjusted for the better by denon firmware.

Like @yeltsin I will not add anything more to this topic then I’ve done in the past by this one post.

I hear the difference clearly, but I’ve been using RME-audio interfaces since 1999 for reference… High energy trance is a genre that exposes the roll off more than others but it is there. I still hope it can be improved like the step made after the first topic.

About the competition. To my understanding the CDJ’s before the 3000 are only bit-perfect at 0 pitch.

3 Likes

dude seriously? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

of course but if the pitch is used they don’t suddenly lose the right end of the frequency range. in fact no other device or software i’ve used does. let alone never having that range in the first place.

I posted video in this thread that is evidentiary to my claim. :wink: I used zero post processing and did a 1 to 1 comparison using the same device for the sample audio and the audio from the sc5000. As aforementioned, I only tested the digital output (as a true test of the analog outputs would require sourcing the dac used in the player to test whether it is the dac or software causing the issue).