Removing the front cover plate on SC6000

Hey folks, did a gig last week at a friends cottage and I didn’t realize until the end of the evening that some dust and gunk from the ceiling or something got into one of my SC6000’s and now the “shift” button, tempo slider, and the wheel aren’t as smooth as they usually do/feel really sticky. I tried vacuuming out the deck and using moderate amounts of dust off with no success.

This then led me down the rabbit hole of taking off the entire front plate and just cleaning it out like any electronic, or sticky keyboard (yep i’m aware this might void warranty etc). Most of it was trial and error because I couldn’t find a SINGLE youtube video or online guide on how to disassemble the sc6000. Based on this experience I might even make a personal guide/post of my experience to help some of you out.

So far I was only able to get to the point of taking off the metal plate and am stuck here. I thought it was the plastic clips being held down to the PCB boards down below, but couldn’t find a proper solution without it feeling like i’d break something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

4 Likes

used plastic clips to remove the sticky adhesive between plastic & metal front plate

1 Like

the aforementioned culprit

1 Like

even took off the top plate thinking there was a clasp or something holding the bottom portion but no luck NOTE* if you attempt this and take off the two ribbon cables and two black (ground wires(?)) they are a PAIN in the ass to put back together. Do not attempt unless you’ve got the right tools. I spent like two hours just trying to get the left ribbon connected again bc of the short distance & need to get a small set of right angle screwdrivers in order to put another screw back in to mount the PCB back on.

2 Likes

I don’t have any help for you but I have been trying to get the group to start posting guides or at least steps of what you did to try and build some kind of tear down guide. I think iFixit will host it if we need a reliable place to post them, iFixit is pro repair and would support us even if Denon doesn’t

Could have made a video of it disassembled, or posted more pictures! Because not only me but many here are certainly curious to see what he is like internally! As you said, there are no videos or pictures of this on the internet!

2 Likes

I love the iFixit team, they would be an incredible resource!

2 Likes

If time permits I think i’ll definitely make a video. Had to throw it all back together that same day unfortunately because I had some gigs that weekend. The platter and some of the buttons still feel slightly crunchy so need to dive back into it. Will most likely update here in this thread!

4 Likes

You’re a brave man. That would have been sent back to InMusic or a reputable vendor for repair if that was me.

Hopefully all the knobs, Platter and buttons have the same tension before you took it apart

Hi Hunter, i hope you got it all sorted mate! As you’ve taken it apart, can you tell me if it’s easy to get just to the platter? do i need to take the face plate off?

When i backspin on the lightest tension setting, it grinds to a halt quickly, but when i hold the player upside down and spin it’s smooth like my other SC6000. So i’m thinking / hoping it’s just a loose nut i can tighten up underneath?

Thanks!