Rekordbox USB: what with updated playlists from rekordbox, do they update in the SC 6000?

Hey Guys,

Doing some research on choosing between CDJ-3000 or SC 6000, and switching from Traktor 3 to a laptop-less setup. Seems the SC 6000 imports a Rekordbox USB stick just fine. Jeej!

But still wondering: what if, after a SC 6000 converted this Rekordbox USB to Engine OS’s format, I then come home from the gig, make some changes in Rekordbox during the week (add tracks, update playlists), and sync those changes to my USB stick. When I stick it back into an SC 6000, does it detect the changes and updates it’s Engine Library (or re-import)? Or would I have to delete the Engine Library and trick a SC 6000 to convert again?

Greetings, Johan

From my experience with SC5000’s - Player detected new tracks and data on the stick and reacted accordingly to import new tracks to that data base, that was already made previously. For some time I used both CDJ’s and SC media players, so I had 2 usb sticks (one was a backup), that was used in both units and all went fine. No lost files, corrupted mp3’s or any other unexpected things…

I gave thought to this also.

I’m gonna test out using the rekordbox iPad app to prep music then export to a USB stick and pop it into a prime deck and see what happens.

The only thing is that I can’t export to a USB stick so I have to use the copy and paste method. If there’s a better way to move back and forth with just a USB stick and the rekordbox iOS app then I’m all ears.

Tnx for the response

That’s useful info. Well, the thing is, I’m doubting about two things with the SC6000: one is that Engine Prime’s desktop software isn’t really mature just yet, the other is that I run into CDJ’s all the time at events where I play a set for an hour or so: switching the CDJ’s for my SC’s isn’t really an option (oh well, it is, I once switched the mixer with the audio running! But that’s not really standard practice :D)

Solution here would be to use rekordbox and buy the much cheaper SC6000 for myself, using it at private parties/weddings where I bring my own gear? Is there any functionality that I won’t get on an SC6000 using a rekordbox stick that I wouldn’t have using a CDJ then? I believe CDJ’s can’t update there rekordbox playlists anyway, so it would only be cue points/loops which don’t get synced back to recordbox?

Do you have any experience you want to share regarding this?

Greetings, Johan

No memory cues is one ive heard off.

I can test the playlist update bit

Ie

• Create a list

• Plug into 5/6000

• Unplug add some more tracks, add some extra hot cues

That’s what you want yeah?

1 Like

That would be cool. I would like to know if this works cumulatively. I know that rekordbox won’t recognize any changes that the Denon’s make but how would the Denon’s work with changes made in rekordbox.

Test 1

1. Exported 3 tracks to clean USB stick from RKBx 6
  2. Plugged into 6000 - works normally

Not saved loops though

Test 2

1. Added more tracks to same playlist
  2. Rekordbox overwrote the playlist as I was exiting
  3. This implies that it’s a new playlist to Engine OS and this reimported everything again.

Test 3

1. Added only extra hotcues to playlist
  2. Engine OS asked to update when I plugged it in
  3. The new hotcues were added to songs that it previously analyzed

In summary - Rekordbox sticks are up to date when used on the Engine OS devices with Hotcues.

I made a few saved loops (saved them to rekordbox hotcue) those did not make it over in all above scenario

3 Likes

Hi Mufasa.

I made a clean RB6 USB Yesterday, and noticed the same behaviour on the P4

Grids and Cues made it across as expected, however the CUE Loops just came across as and extra CUE Marker not a Loop

In the mean time I discovered my library isn’t compatible with FAT32 anyway, due to p.db being 4.25GB. Too bad, is a killer feature otherwise :wink:

That’s an improvement from when I tested with the cue loops coming over in 1.6 release.

1 Like

Hey Guys,

i am from germany and i am not sure, that i understand it correctly.

I have exaclty the same issue like @Johan . (Would like to buy Denons, want to use rekordbox for library managment, because i have some gigs with pioneers/rekordbox)

Is it right, that new Cues, that i create on a Denon during a gig, will not updated in the rekordbox library on my macbook? But they will saved on the usb-stick?

That would be very important i think. Many of us, create new loops and cues during their gigs and it should be updated in the music library on mac.

thank you all in advance.

@Johan what are you using now? i am playing with traktor, but i want new equipment and their is nothing out there for traktor -.- additionally i want to play without a macbook after a long time :smiley:

best regards alex

Absolutely correct

I switched to Engine DJ and decided to take my SC6000’s with me. My monthly residency gig requires me to bring my DJ set anyway, play a lot of weddings and stuff anyway (consequences of becoming older with your audience ;)), and the few times I still get to play an event with a complete line-up, I can remove the CDJ’s and plug the SC6000’s in place using the same cables.

One time, at a 30th birthday party we had some guest DJ in the mids of our set, while we provided the Denon’s. Ofcourse he had a rekordbox stick, but he could plug in his stick flawless. I does need some time for importing things, but most CDJ DJs have a limited USB stick collection. But do not do this with a 50k track collection 1 minute before it’s your time to play :wink:

Also beware there are some basic features still missing from Engine DJ: relocate, platter hold + CUE, and some others. Read the feature request forum thoroughly before you jump in! But beside those missing features it a relief not having to bring your laptop…

2 Likes

Thanks Johan for you answer.

I will have a look to the feature request…

1 Like