How exactly does Rekordbox import on the SC6000s work?

A couple of questions regarding the much advertised Rekordbox import feature on the SC6000s:

• What does “importing” exactly mean? Does the player create a new Engine DJ database and sort of convert the Rekordbox data into it?
  • What will happen to an existing Engine DJ database on the same drive? Will it be lost / overwritten?
  • On subsequent imports, will the existing Engine DJ database always be overwritten or is the player smart enough to make additions and changes?
  • If I import a Rekordbox collection on the player, then add Hot Cues, Loops etc. on the Player and subsequently re-import, will the changes made on the player be lost?

Thanks for shedding some light on this.

1 Like

To my knowledge it’s a one time one way conversion, but as my last Pioneer was a CDJ-500, I really don’t know.

However, we’re not alone on this forum, so you’ll get the right answers soon. :wink:

Thanks. I cross-posted this to the newly created Denon DJ subreddit. See whether I can gain some traction there.

What’s up @r2square,

The import process works only with a ‘virgin’ Rekordbox thumb drive (i.e. a drive containing no Engine DJ data).

If you place a ‘virgin’ Rekordbox thumb drive into an SC, it will ask you to confirm if you wish to proceed with the import process. If yes, then the SC will quickly analyze the drive’s Rekordbox info (metadata, crate structure, bpm, key, hot cues, etc.) and make it readable/sortable for the SC. During this process, the SC will create a folder on the drive to store additional denon-related data.

This process will only happen on a ‘virgin’ Rekordbox drive. Future changes made to the drive in Rekordbox will not be captured as the SC will not re-analyze a previously imported drive UNLESS you delete the Engine DJ created folder.

FYI - My SC analyzed a Rekordbox stick with 2,400 files in about 1 minute.

2 Likes

Thanks, @Mixlive, for taking the time to respond. This somewhat contradicts the findings listed here. Has the implementation changed?

I tested a few combinations

Not sure if it’s still valid with 2.0

1 Like

I think the key here is that Denon DJ made it possible in the import process for a CDJ user to walk into a venue and use SC’s for THAT evening without being disadvantaged. I don’t think that it was meant to intergrate Rekordbox as an alternative music management software.

It’s a convenience accommodation offered by Denon DJ that the competition doesn’t (and will not) do.

Makes sense. I just started looking into Rekordbox and are not impressed. Sure, Vocal and Phrase Analysis is cool and hopefully comes to Engine DJ sooner or later. But apart from that, the software looks outdated, performance is weak and its approach to Library Management / Exporting originates from a time, where USB drive storage was super limited and media players were struggling with file path longer than 255 characters… :slight_smile:

1 Like

This process will only happen on a ‘virgin’ Rekordbox drive. Future changes made to the drive in Rekordbox will not be captured as the SC will not re-analyze a previously imported drive UNLESS you delete the Engine DJ created folder.

As far as I know this isn’t true. I have exported many times to my rekordbox usb and each time I insert it the device asks if I want to import. This despite never touching the engine DJ folder on the drive.

What’s up @drewbeck,

I stand corrected on this point. After I read your reply, I went to Rekordbox, Imported new tracks, and added a new playlist. When I inserted the thumbdrive into my SC, it noticed the changes and prompted me to re-import/update the drive.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

IMO regarding dj collection/library/file management…rekordbox dj runs circles around every dj software I have tried.

Rekordbox still supports old dj media players from 2009, that is also worth something.