Rekordbox Compatibility

It is common knowledge that rekordbox is a software of pioneer and is exclusive to pioneer. But as it is the industry standard and DJs have been using it for quite a while laptops are essential for a lot of DJs, atleast for the wedding or private party DJs. Can we expect controller compatibilty of the denon dj consoles with rekordbox anytime soon or atleast as an alternative when will we be able to use the engine dj software for performance? is there any updates or news regarding this ?

1 Like

I agree, India is huge market and totally dominated BY REKORDBOX, even if we want to use Denon DJ consoles we can coz they dont support rekordbox software while using my laptop. I need my laptop coz we use video (visuals) performances and also for requests for local language music requests at gigs which arent available on Soundcloud, Beatport, beatsource etc … Cmon Engine DJ … get a patch going for Rekordbox.

No, you cant expect it…… next

1 Like

hahahaa… how about a Engine DJ controller mode. :pray:

How about not using the same IP-address for both accounts…

EngineDJ is library software. Perhaps it will change someday, but not at the moment or in the near future.

RekordBox is from a competing hardware brand, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Use Serato or VDJ as an alternative.

1 Like

Yeah … the topic was started by our company admin … Hope for the future for things to change to make it a more unified world of compatibility.

I would try and ask AlphaTheta to support DenonDJ and Numark in their RekordBox software.

6 Likes

Great idea Reese, the ball is firmly in their court with that one… especially given the statements made in the recent documents on the New Zealand CMA site.

2 Likes

I think Reese was sarcastic. Alphatheta will never do that

1 Like

Agreed, but its still in their hands to have the power to do so… if you read through the legal documents they claim that their software isn’t a closed book, providing access to InMusic products would support their claims.

they’re so open that they’ve deliberately blocked the possibility of mapping jogs to third-party controllers. Which is pretty silly in principle, given that rekordbox performance now works on a subscription basis. So if they were to open up Rekordbox to third-party controllers, this would provide them with an additional source of revenue via their subscription model.

They literally said in the legal documents “our software is open because anybody can midi map any device to work with it”

Its fair to say the whole digital DJ community let out a massive lol when reading that. And its comments like this that are the number one reason i think the Serato takeover is shady, why make things up if you have a solid case?

I have a colleague working on trying to midi map it presently. @Gaian your point is solid … it would increase their revenues having it open for different hardwares. @STU-C The serato takeover is still sub judice … isnt it ? Not a done deal yet from what I understand.

Yeah its currently sat with the NZ commerce, you can view all the documents on their website, which is where i was taking the quotes from.

I spent a little while reading a few of the submissions: makes for very interesting reading.

1 Like

Absolutely. Doesn’t paint the DJ gear scene in a very good light.

Hopefully they all come out of this with a more customer focused game plan.

Classic ! Classic ! Classic ! lol

Also the Prime models already read Rekordbox so if a DJ from a pioneer background plugs their rekordbox stick into a Prime deck, their track data, cue points etc are recognised by the Primes, which is already far more compatibility than pioneer have ever tried to offer in return

Let’s add something to the conversation that will Never ever ever ever happen but would ultimately help ATs case a little when the CMA knock that their door regarding the decision.

AT to establish an open DJ database format with Serato and other companies that contains all cues, loops, metadata like colours etc and pop them into something like “Open DJ Database” ODJ. It’s an open format and there’s standards. It could even have MIDI assigned for mappings. Think of it like the Matter standard but for DJs.

Virtual DJ would support it as they support everything “just because” and everyone else would get on board for easier library integration. InMusic would use it to replace all the importing database options in Engine DJ.

Would it work? Probably the big hitters would use the format as it would be a working group with other companies all having stakes and input.

Would it ever happen? Nope. If it did though it would most probably ease a lot of the issues they have by helping to be more open.

1 Like

It’s more than a little embarrassing that we’re 20+ years deep with software and none of these companies have got their heads together and created a single ecosystem to allow switching between software easily.

They need their heads banging together, never mind putting together.

1 Like

We can be sure that Al-pathetic won’t bother trying to make Rekordbox compatible with anything except pioneer and any new Al-pathetic gear.

Look into their history with “compatibility”

• Stop letting jog wheels be mapped precisely by non-pioneer software

• Change rekordbox so that it can’t export its music database to 3rd party software - this decision was later reversed by public demand / bad publicity