Prime syncing to pen drive taking days

Hello,

I am new to Engine. I just bought a Prime Go. I have recently downloaded Engine for Mac. I have imported all of my playlists from Itunes into Engine.

Now I am trying to sync those playlists to my pen drive (It is approximately 80 gigs). It seems like the sync process should wind up taking like a week based on the speeds over the past two days of the exporting process!

The pen drive is brand new, and I am using a new Macbook Pro with 16g ram that is working fine. Is this normal for this size library? Any tips on how to speed the process up? I have read through the forum, but I have not seen any info for any recent solutions.

Any help or insight will greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

What spec is the USB stick?

You can try dragging and dropping instead of sync to see if it moves quicker

It maybe the stick

I prefer portable SSD like the Samsung T series or Sandisk extreme

It’s a Memorex USB 2.0 drive. Probably not the best obviously.

When you say drag and drop, are you suggesting to bypass the Engine Prime desktop app and just put the files on the pen drive from Mac Finder? If so, then I would lose my Itunes playlists, which are critical.

Thanks!

2.0 is slow. The primes support USB 3.0 speed, you should consider a new stick to take advantage of this.

But using what you have now

• Drag and Drop inside Engine Prime.

• Open the Device tab, then drag from the collection (crates or playlist) to the USB device tab inside Engine Prime.

• You have to do each one individually, unlike sync manager that allows you to transfer multiple crates at once.

The sync manager appears to be slower than drag and drop method.

Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with the iTunes import process (my library is maintained in Serato). Not sure if you’ve taken a look at this article from Denon DJ’s Knowledge Base (KB). See below:

1 Like

I am having the same issue. 128 gig syncing from a MBP to a brand new USB C SSD. First try the software fell over and this time its been going for 16 hours and still no where near done!!! Absolutely ridiculous

Are you running the latest version of Engine DJ? External media correctly formated? Exporting about 100Gb to a external USB 3.0 SSD on my old I5 takes less than a hour

Yea have the latest Engine softwear. All my music is on a 1TB external SSD which is really quick connected via USB C Imported the music via the serato tab in engine so will have been reading music from the external drive. Then exported 128 gig to a new 256GIG SSD usb C stick and as per my last post it literally took 3 days. It was painful. All of the kit I mentioned above including the Mac book pro M1 is brand new. all up to date softwear wise. I copied 500 GIG of music from 1TB external SSD to another 1TB external SSD and it took no more than an hour so it must be a softwear problem or the 256gig stick?

Also weirdly 3 songs would not sync all starting with the track name “what would”. Really odd. I went back and forth checking they were in the library and then syncing a small amount of music to a seperate stick and they would not sync. All 3 tracks are from Traksource and I had them in both record box and serato no problems?

Brand name of the drive?

How is the drive formatted- ExFat or Fat32?

Did you run a speed check like blackmagic on it ?

I’m curious about this too. I’ve been building my Engine Library incrementally, so haven’t had the issue.

Engine DJ actually rearranges your music on the performance drive into Engine Linrary\Music by Artist, then Album, then track file name. There would be some overhead in this in addition to copying the files. Once it’s there it only incrementally updates, so then it is quite fast.

On the other hand, the Engine MacBook Pro library references the files where they reside on your MacBook Pro/External Drive. If, as suggested, you were to copy the MacBook Pro Engine Library plus the iTunes arranged music files, does that really work? Perhaps the file references would be off? Or, the media players would expect a different format? I’d be interested if this truly can be done.

I assume you could copy from one performance drive to another? If you made one with a fast disk with a fast connection, then copy to the USB 2.0 flash drive, that might go better. Of course, the best thing would be to ditch USB 2.0 and get a faster drive and connection. I was using a hard drive, but switched to an SSD. It’s small and the performance is noticeably better.

Hi all external 1tb hardrive is a sandisk extreme usb c the pen drive is an ssk 256gig stick usb c fat 32 formatted No I did not do a speed test

I think I am going to get a 2.5 inch sata fitted into the prime 4, get all my music off of the external and onto the sata drive eliminating the need for memory sticks. Anyone know what updating from lap top to the internal sata drive is like? Ive not read into it at all thus far and would certainly like some information/experience’s of others?

try formatting the destination stick as ExFat.

Again the SSK stick may not be able to keep up with large writes.

I bought a similar stick a while back! Rubbish and only good for word document

Hi Musafa,

You think this will improve the transfer speed?

https://amzn.eu/d/gpX7kuE

Is that the stick?

Thats the one

What stick would you recommend? Ive no problems shelling out a few quid

Or shall I just get a 2.5inch sata and bang it all on there in the prime 4 and not use any sticks!!! whats updating your library like with an internal sata in the prime 4 any idea? assuming you plug the laptop into the unit and do it like that?

I stick with Sandisk when it comes to USB sticks and SD cards….and only buy from Amazon because of fugazi

Whilst the internal SSD option does seem like a fantastic idea, real life it’s not.

I prefer swappable storage but that’s me.

1 Like