PRIME 4 with a on screen Samplers

Almost anything - audacity is free but you could make the mp3 with almost any app or program

I asked which one you use based on your experience, with whom you feel comfortable and it is also free. So you recommend audacity? Can it cut / paste MP3 parts?

hello do you have nice samples already made to use with hotcue like those integrated in pioneer turntables or others for general music thanks a lot

It could made pretty much with any audio editor or DAW. What you do is create a new project and drop any 8 samples or drops in the timeline titled “samples” then reimport back to engine prime and set 8 hot cues for each sample, that’s it

I did that yesterday, just to see what would happen. It froze the Prime 4 :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Yes, in fact I did it this way with Audacity.

Explain better: did you connect the launchpad to the line input of one of the 4 channels, and then the Prime 4 froze? :thinking: :astonished: If so, I don’t understand the reason for freezing the console, considering that using a line input for a launchpad or a smartphone’s audio output shouldn’t make a difference.

That would be impossible. The Launchpad doesn’t have any audio outputs.

It’s USB, so I plugged it onto the USB 1 socket.

Ahhhhhhh OK!!! This explains the freeze :grinning:

Anyway guys, I’m getting more and more aware of how critical these devices are. If you try to insert a USB device into the port of any PC, if it is not compatible, what will happen? Nothing, either a warning message appears, or it just doesn’t work. But here no: it freezes. If an MP3 is not perfect, what happens to Prime 4? It crashes and restarts. What happens in a PC: nothing, if the MP3 is really damaged it will not be played, but generally it is heard even if it is not perfect.

All the “smart” devices that should do some PC functions are critical, I am not referring only to the Prime 4, but also to the SMART TV and various similar accessories. If I connect a USB stick to my Samsung Smart TV with a non-perfect MKV video, what does it do? It freezes or starts up very slowly or even restarts the TV. If I put the same MKV file on the PC and play it with VLC: everything is perfect.

The Prime 4 must always be treated with velvet gloves. :cry:

Well, using files only from trusted sources might be a good work ethos too

This is true and it is the first thing to do. But…

But this does not mean that the “standalone” thought becomes reductive, because if at a party you find someone who hands you a USB stick with some MP3s to use at his party (and he is the one who pays), you cannot simply insert the key in the P4 connector, have the songs analyzed by Engine OS, and then use those songs. You must also pray that those MP3s are digestible from P4.

If a “DJ” is being paid to perform then the “DJ” should have all the music required for whatever type of party it’s going to be.

Even if the party organiser has given very short notice, there’s nothing to stop the usb stick changing hands days before.

I’d vote for some way of prime 4 spotting every possible file corruption but i doubt its possible.

“Every possible file corruption” would not be possible, anything can fail. But to be at least at the level of a normal PC, this should be, above all because we are not talking about a 150 Euro toy.

True, but maybe the €2000 is:

A €500 left deck A €500 right deck A €100 large touch screen A €700 mixer A €200 effects unit

I hate any of that price to be wasted on routines or extra hardware buffers or RAM dedicated to trying to watch out for things which we can all correct ourselves outside of the model.

Eg: checking corrupt files with some dedicated corrupt file checker like mp3check etc

I wouldn’t want the price to go up, or the budget on any of those other listed elements of the prime 4 To go down. Like I wouldn’t want that €700 euro mixer to become just a dull €600 mixer with budget spent on extra RAM for error handling

I’m wondering what experience you can have to connect a launchpad, which is basically a controller that works with a DAW, via USB with the P4 …

Are these experiments you do to waste time, or why do you think it can work like a sampler with its own sound card inside, with which it can emit sounds in a totally autonomous way?

To use a launchpad, you need to:

1- connect the P4 to Serato

2- open a DAW

3- connect the launchpad to the DAW

4- make the link between Serato and the DAW

5- connect the pc / mac to a sound card

6- connect the sound card output to a channel of the P4

you are there?

Or an Akay mpx16, do you enjoy the idea?

Yes, thank you. I know what a Launchpad does.

Where did I say that? Please don’t put words in my mouth.

I could spend time giving you an explanation, but I can’t be bothered. I can do what I choose with my own equipment, and it’s of no concern to you.

@PKtheDJ

from the connections you have made it doesn’t seem to me that you know much about your tools. hahahaaaa

Anyway hello … good life.

Ah well, you’re entitled to your opinion. Pity it’s wrong, but you go ahead and think what you want.

Not especially no. It’s just a case of not mid-treating it and not waiting until the middle of a gig to try plugging in previously uninstalled devices

I did this but I don’t like it. Is like I have to enter it every time I put on the unit.

I do agree that the Prime series can use some type of error handling so they don’t freak out when something goes wrong when we are performing. A simple Error Code or even a message that says this format is not supported would give us enough information in just enough time for us to quickly move on and then troubleshoot after the gig. having it freeze or reboot is our worst nightmare.

1 Like