PRIME 4 vs OPUS QUAD

Po po po… I ve got the prime 4 since 2019 it’s a very good device, but now the Opus Quad is wonderful. Different design, great fonctionalities, very good beatjump (way better than my P4, good sound quality (forcqpioneer), great screen, very Fluid, easy sync with itunes/Rekordbox, bluetooth inside, 3 screens, big jogwheels, 3band colors (and not green white blue), great effects and filters… Denon must hurry or the fight is over…

Really? What fight would that be?

1 Like

Why denon must fight, when they are in the lead…

2 Likes

Those ‘big jog wheels’ or pretty horrible in use too, ive had a go on them in the shop, rattling plastic like the old CDJs.

Id have a Prime 4 over it still, aside from those other two screens that re pretty nice, it doesn’t offer anything that the Prime cant do.

1 Like

In hardware, Pioneer is far behind, I don’t change my prime 4 for any Pioneer…(I’ve used Pioneer for 5 years in standalone mode), so it should be the other way around, if Pioneer doesn’t put the batteries in, sure that Denon takes away the entire market, but of course it all depends on the tastes of each one

1 Like

And it offers less. I was scratching on opus quad, and those jog wheels are horrible for this. Also when just adjusting the track speed, they are very lose and feel just cheap and easy to beak. I think American Audio Radius 3000 had way better jog wheels (aluminum with rubber edge for nudging). They were great fro scratching and speed adjust. Now Denon - SC6000 jog wheels are blowing all other jogs out of the water… Feeling, weight, response, the grip… and they are aluminum cast. No cheap plastic.

2 Likes

Honestly, I have used the opus quad and it s a beast

What would you say separates it from the Prime 4? and make it worth the extra £1000.

1 Like

The only thing that I find interesting is that it can be configured in an “automatic” way, to which buttons to apply the echo effect while pressing, for example when pressing Cue

1 Like

IIRC there is a cool cue button feature that links into the hot cues?

after five years of first 4 I switched to the rx3 and I must say that I am very happy with it! when engine becomes as easy to use as rekordbox maybe i’ll start using the first 4 again! I admit that soundswitch and streaming are missing but I must also say that after five years the first 4 have become a bit monotonous to use and the faders have become soft and seem to break at any moment!

Id compare that more to the Prime 2, and it then looks quite expensive and under featured.

yes, but unfortunately the difference is made by rekordbox for mac! if engine becomes on par with rekordbox then i might start using it again! for now and too cumbersome for me! and I’ve been using it for 5 years !! I was very skeptical before about pioneer but now that I have been using the rx3 for a month I have adapted very well !! and I didn’t say that I no longer have denon, in fact I own prime 4 sc live 4 and also a mixstream pro but I repeat I really like the feeling with the rx3

Built quality, bluetooth inside, effects quality (filter, space, reverb…) Also big jogwheels, pad quality, boot up speed,…

But I still like my P4, but it is 4 years old.

Howerver I don’t like the rx3 which I only kept 2 months : bugs, lag, bad jog, screen unuseful… poor sound quality

The Prime units have a bluetooth chip and the next update is going to activate it by all accounts, although i have zero use for such a feature, i prefer my music connections to be wired and stable. The effects are also being overhauled and updated in the next couple of weeks.

There are certain things which Pioneer got right and future Prime units would benefit from. More sturdy and pleasant feeling play/cue buttons (SC6000 is good), faders, EFX quality (might get fixed soon), bigger jogs, boot-time after cold start/reset, no audio-drop when switching between standalone and computer mode like Serato, that new RGB-coded cue system is pretty cool, DMX out without dongle (RX3), much better looking mixer layout with proper red-amber-green VU metering, and RekordBox itself (features, library handling, performance mode, DVS, etc… although subscription ■■■■■).

But would I switch from my SC Live 4? Hell, no. For 1300$/€ nothing from Pioneer comes even close. Plus the global benefits of Engine, like Ableton Link, Soundswitch, Streaming, 0.01% pitch, update policy, auto-loop system, etc. and some little details, like the Sweep FX buttons: On Pioneer units the selected FX just flashes all the time, but on Denon they remain constantly lit and only flash when turned off-center, which is incredibly more useful.

@NoiseRiser The Radius units, especially the 3000, were pretty rad. Around the 2005-2010 era they were competing with CDJ-400, NDX-400/800, RMP-2/3, DNS700/1200 and I really enjoyed their design, featureset and flexibility the most.

2 Likes

for me changing the console is a bit like my car !! after 4 or 5 years I have to replace it becomes monotonous! and switching to the rx3 after 5 years of prime has given new life to my dj sets !! unfortunately for me it is like this

that’s all we need in a new Denon Device… and a better synchro in Engine Software (Like RBox with iTunes) a new modern device.

The Problem is that 95% of clubs uses CDJs so we must be compatible

1 Like

This argument is so out of date now though, I was resident in a bar for 10yrs that used CDJs and I had zero issues jumping on and using them, despite not owning a CDJ since 2005. You can use Denon Prime gear or any other controller and easily make the jump to CDJs.

For many , that won’t be a difference worth sacrificing the benefits of Primes superior hardware.