PRIME 4 vs OPUS QUAD

How does Pioneer’s Opus Quad compare to the P4? After watching a few videos on the OQ I decided to do a video on a few of my observations. This isn’t a full review but a comparison of some of the key features.

9 Likes

Well done! All good points! Once those new FX start coming across for Prime 4, let’s see where we sit then. : )

1 Like

In my opinion the only winning aspects of Opus Quad compared to Prime 4 are the following:

1. Having the two supplementary displays that add information that is always visible even when we are browsing the library with the main display.
  2. The use of the large 10" display is better utilized than Prime 4.
  3. Browsing through the library, the customization possibilities of the display, the speed of accessing tracks, this is a good point for Pioneer.

The rest of Opus Quad is copied from Prime 4: look for example at the new loop setup method, Pioneer used the rotary knob like Denon DJ.

When Prime 4 also has better display usage as requested by many users in the feature requests section, then Prime 4 will be unrivaled.

3 Likes

I think the SP-1 has rotary beats on it too. I’ve not had mine out for a long time but sure it has it.

2 Likes

All their Serato controllers do apart from the 1000srt (which they just ported across from the 1000), which im guessing was a decision they came to in agreement with Serato… the RB controllers largely have the in/out buttons or that 4 beat loop thing. Its why itd never replace my SP1 with that XP2, its been designed for RB with Serato as an afterthought.

2 Likes

Even those old DDJ-T1 and S1 had Loop Encoders. But oh well, Traktor had them for an even longer time, so I wouldn’t value “who did it first” that much.

• The use of the large 10" display is better utilized than Prime 4.
  • Browsing through the library, the customization possibilities of the display, the speed of accessing tracks, this is a good point for Pioneer.

→ Aye. Better GUI optimization is a heavily requested feature which needs more prioritisation. Playlists with more columns e.g. for comments or star rating, preview waveform with cue scrubbing, hide playlist tree, less wasted/empty space, etc…

Other things I prefer on the Opus Quad:

• Bigger jog wheels with the LED ring located on the outer rim instead of the top + tension adjust
  • Cleaner mixer layout with Sweep FX parameter knob and FX which also work for ext. sources
  • Global smooth Echo feature which is really, really cool
  • Physical quantize buttons (for each deck)
  • Navigation encoder-joystick hybrid
  • Cue/Play buttons design and LEDs pulsing instead of flashing
  • USB-C port

Would love to see some of these in future Denon DJ products. But otherwise Prime 4 wins for me.

3 Likes
  • Bigger jog wheels with the LED ring located on the outer rim instead of the top - don’t you find it wasteful and imprecise to have track position on a small(er) segmented ring instead of putting it on the outside platter LED ring?
  • Cleaner mixer layout - doesn’t it feel like a wasted space where you think you could have the same features in a 10cm/5in smaller package if only style wasn’t a priority over substance?
  • Navigation encoder-joystick hybrid - that :poop: will break so fast that it’s not even funny. Great feature (same as that lockable sweep FX knobs on A9 mixer) but you just know that it will not last as much as a normal one would.

That shaite needs to be banned. For the past 10+years I have been trying to make sure my usb cables are seated securely and then they try to introduce the flimsiest of USB connections…please no, make it stop,…

3 Likes

Hahahaha yep, it can’t believe my eyes when I see those, wouldn’t last 10 minutes at a gig/venue.

The EU are moving to USB-C for power in small devices and think evey other manufacturer is jumping on that too, regardless if it’s forced upon them or not. It’s just becoming a standard for low power.

There will probably be another industry set up for USB-C anchors now. Little clips that hold them in or help secure them.

1 Like

Sooner rather than later if they expect us to get on board with it, imagine how many times a drunk Karen can pull out a standard USB-C cable

1 Like

8 Likes

Amen to that.

When everything has a USB-C on it, these will be god-tier additions.

I think it’s 2024 the deadline for small things like phones, cameras, GPS etc.

I think other device manufacturers are getting on board just for the hell of it now.

hello

In my opinion, something similar should have been the evolution of the mcx8000, that is, the two small side screens with another central one without losing the quick change between autonomous and controller mode, this last characteristic is what makes me continue in my mcx8000 since it is necessary for If they released a device with these characteristics, it would be a worthy successor to the mcx 8000, hopefully Denon will make a second version of this controller.

greetings and excuse my english

1 Like

…then once it gets to the point where the majority of devices have USB-C, along will come USB-D :joy:

1 Like

don’t know if you understand Italian! but that’s exactly what’s going to happen!

1 Like

Prime 4 all day! Price, features, form factor, real estate usage, performance pads, weight, portability, color scheme.

Cannot wait to see how Prime 4+ compares to it :trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

My prime 4 is 4 years old… waiting for igs successor, with bluetooth, more screens…

1 Like

In my opinion the only winning aspects of Opus Quad compared to Prime 4 are the following:

Tp be fair Pioneer has post fader FX support and stackable FX support to one encoder. Can’t do that with Denon. Pioneer copied Denon on what they lacked and retained the features that have been missing from Denon from the very beginning

1 Like

Yes, but Denon could also implement the missing functions (or improve what we have), to obtain functionality similar to Pioneer’s.

1 Like