PRIME 4 vs OPUS QUAD

Your reply doesn’t make any sense. I was talking about the jog size and the position of the (static) RGB ring, not about the display at all. By the way, both the Opus and Prime jog displays are pretty weak. The ones on the DDJ-800/1000, XDJ-RX3/XZ or CDJ3000 are the way to go.

Again, a pretty weird reply. I was talking about the layout, not size/space. Oh and speaking about space, the Prime 4 mixer section wastes a lot of space if you compare it with a Live 4, plus the controler layout with the two complicate EFX banks is very cluttered.

Hmmm, do you work as engineer or supply manager on the Opus Quad project or how do you know? Maybe it’s a very sturdy mechanism, maybe it’s not. We don’t know. But I like the overall concept with the feature to quickly prelisten from either the beginning or the middle of the selected track, without having to touch the screen twice.

As for USB-C, yeah I agree about the mechanical realiability, but at least having an additional USB-C port would be convenient. It’s so omnipresent by now that it simply can’t be ignored any longer by audio manufactors, imho.

Cannot wait to see how Prime 4+ compares to it :trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

Identical, leaving the added Amazon Music service aside.

Or Traktor, Serato, VDJ and even the ipad/iphone Alogoriddim app all have post FX support. Denon is the one lagging here. We didn’t ask for alternate views, but you guys implemented it anyway.

Someone probably asked to have a view of both 4 decks at the same time, if that’s what you’re referring to. Furthermore, the 4-track view becomes very useful if you use the 4 channels at the same time, perhaps combined with two external LC6000s.

I can say that as of now, NONE of the features I gave my votes for have been implemented, even though those requested features are among the highest rated. But I believe that many steps forward have been made in recent years, new functions have been added that are useful for the majority of users.

More news will surely arrive in the coming months, so we can only be happy with our Prime 4 which has nothing to envy from the very latest Opus quad.

4 Likes

For me the number one thing that the Denon engine OS needs fixed is the library search. The search result should start populating the moment you type in a letter And it should also be able to give you results even if you misspell something a bit because sometimes tracks aren’t spelled the way we think they are or they might be saved with the wrong title or track name. I shouldn’t be able to find a search result on the internet faster than this standalone unit. When I am picking songs on the fly and I have to queue up a song on Spotify connected to one of my lines because it was taking too long to search for it on The Engine OS library it’s very frustrating. Yes I have a large library. Yes I use a Samsung SSD for my internal drive. Yes I have my drive optimized to the lowest folder structures possible. Yes this absolutely needs attention.

1 Like

I thought Engine OS used to be like that, but it would slow down your ability to keep typing and was really annoying, so we asked to get rid of that. Now search works pretty well as long as you separate contractions into separate words just in case you get something wrong. Like, do you remember if Mambokings was two words or one? Put it into two words just in case and it’ll find both.

The search is not as fast as using a PC but I find it adequate for my needs. I use an external 2TB SSD and It works well for me. To speed up my search I type key letters for results.

For example: I’ll type “MIC JAC BEAT” to find Michael Jackson - Beat It.

Coming from years of CDJ use, the on board search on the Prime 2 is almost groundbreaking. Yes it’s not as good as a happy and keyboard but it’s far far superior to pretty much anything the ‘club standard’ has put out. Perhaps CDJ-3000s are better, but then they cost 5 large just to mix on 2 decks.

1 Like

The happy lappy and keyboard search method for track offloading from a computer, rather than simply being able to search from the players on remote drives and computers, would certainly be a solution for those folks that need the absolute fastest search possible. I suppose a short-term analog would be to create a small, known network or external drive location that you temporarily move tracks to on a computer, and then can quickly locate and select on the players without the need for lengthy search.

Nothing is as good as a happy. :grin:

3 Likes

I was in Frankfurt at PLS this week and I played around with Opus a bit. I can tell that as it is big, it is a very disappointing device. Jog wheels are trash. Light weight, plastic, totally toy like feel. Crossfader assignment is on the screen sub menu of the mixer track - poor access. I would want rather to have it always on sight - I use the crossfader a lot but need to switch it off for the tracks I don’t want to affect. Display is not fun, seems a bit outdated. Waveforms are not smooth and jittery sometimes. Effects section is not obvious to find, not intuitive. Housing feel - very plastic and not pleasant to touch. It looks way worse in real life than on the photos. For the price - I rather save some €€€ and buy a full denon set.

4 Likes

Thank you for your report.

The thing with the “plastic housing” case has also been “mentioned” by some content creators who are otherwise rather uncritical. There really seems to be something to it, especially the plastic sides with the wooden look.

Weird half-hearted concept. If I were looking for real high-end, stylish stuff, I would expect real wood and metal - even more so at this price point.

Maybe a white version is considered (but please without wood imitations)? That could perhaps at least visually make a difference.

1 Like

For information ! We had Opus Quad product recalls :flushed:, some would have overheating problems and screen problems! We just sent 3 back to PioPio in France (Star’s Music), apparently other shops would be concerned!

The worst… is that we were not given the deadlines for the replacement of defective products! :flushed: :rage:

1 Like

Such a good post - so many people think there’s some sort of mythical halo of “never goes wrong” on puoneer gear - mainly because when such whopping great hardware reliability issues get written about in pioneers own forum , the posts magically disappears into the dusty propaganda ether

1 Like

Nope there are also audio dropout problems with the DDJ-FLX10.

My DDJ-SX2 was solid for 6yrs… the XDJ-R1 I had before it not so much, audio clipping and a few reboots mid set needed.

I’ve got one here. No audio drop out in standard use. When stems is initiated on the fly (not preanalysed) yes there is an audio drop, but that is a Serato issue. Fix is to analyse stems on load. Happens with my 6000M and 5000M as well btw.

1 Like

Stems for me is a pretty cool feature to play about with, but not something I ever feel id use… I like to freestyle mixes where things just kinda happen, and this doesnt seem to be in a position to allow it just yet, if im pre-preparing my music for stems then im thinking about what im mixing before and that doesnt appeal.

Maybe in 3yrs or so it’ll be in a place for us to just use.

Serato has three approaches/settings to stems

1. a full preanalysis - saves the split files to drive. probably for guys who do specific routines with set stems tracks.

2. analyse on load - the stems is computed automatically immediately after loading to deck - its not saved permanently, which is what may suit an on the fly workflow, the stems is there if the DJ needs it and if they don’t its not eating space like option 1 above. I believe its saved temporarily and purged after the track is ejected.

3. normal load (no stems as in 1 or 2 above, the options disabled in settings) - DJ now decides to remove acapella, then it has to analyse a track that is already live, this is the one that causes a brief audio drop out. Brief being the keyword - it could be longer if running a minimum spec laptop compared to a beefy one. This is the one I use. I am just mindful not to trigger the stems button if the fader is up, I can still use stems, I just have to do it when cueing up the track.

1 Like

Option 2 would suit me, but I cant believe it’s not penalising your computer at all… when I get the Flux im gonna do some testing to determine. Although I think anyone mixing house can manage without stems so my home gigs are gonna be largely not impacted.

We’ve sold around 100 of these and have had a few people with this problem. You may have just helped them! Thanks for the tip!

1 Like