Prime 4 crossfader lagging or broken

Hi all.

I just tried for the first time learning from some DJ scratch tutorials.

The problem is when I set the fader curve to cut, and move the fader all the way to the closed position, the sound is still audible. If I click it closed again it might close and stop the sound. Sometimes I close the fader then a few seconds later the music stops. Like a delay. Or like the fader didn’t realise it was closed for a few seconds. This happens when moving super slowly or simply clicking the fader.

My question is, is the fader in the Prime 4 mechanical as such, or is it software driven?

I don’t want to buy a new fader (it really shouldn’t be broken after 2 weeks of light use) if its a software bug.

PS I’ve been using the Prime 4 for about 2 weeks of ‘normal mixing’ and didn’t notice any problems. It’s only when trying to ‘cut’ the sound with the fader.

Thanks for any advice. C.

=== UPDATE ====

Swapping the cross-fader fixed the issue:

@PKtheDJ any ideas?

Sounds like a dodgy crossfader to me.

I’m assuming you have done the usual assignments of the decks to the appropriate sides of the crossfader.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try a new fader. The fact it works then doesn’t i assume it’s not a setting. The innofader mini plus seems to be compatible.

I advise you to wait. That’s a hardware problem with the xfader, it happened to me too. But if you have the skills to use an electronic soldering iron, that problem is solved within 10 minutes. I did and since that day my xfader has become super reliable. If you are interested in making the modification, I can send you photographs, but you must have an electric soldering iron for electronic components.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the innofader mini plus which has a cable socket (no solder needed) I’ll let you know now it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dropped an innofader in my prime 4 and it’s awesome. I had the same problem that you were talking about. Left position on the crossfader would bleed when fully closed. Innofader much quieter than the stock Denon fast and cuts better.

1 Like

mine also on the prime 4 is showing signs of weakness, can you say more about what needs to be soldered or resoldered? thank you

1 Like

Of course. Over the weekend I will take pictures and a little tutorial on what to do. Wait until Monday.

1 Like

great thanks a lot

I updated the post with pics…

@madmax Here is the tutorial I promised:

1 Like

@DjAj @madmax No soldering is required (see useful photos and guide above.) however, the only difficulty i had was using a combination of standoffs and included washers to adjust the height of the fader switch so that it felt the right height with the cap installed on it. It wasn’t hard, but it turned what was basically a 10 minute install into more like 30 with the trial and error.

That said, the innofader is a FANTASTIC upgrade to the Prime 4

1 Like

many thanks :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.