Prime 2 vinyl Mode issues

Hi there,

Ive recently got a Denon prime 2 and i have only used it twice and on the 2nd time there seem to be an issue when playing music on vinyl mode on the right side deck via virtual dj?

I have never experienced this kind of problem before with previous controllers but it seems like whenever there is upgrade in devices or software it messes up with the performance, features and functionality of the controllers when really it should only get better??

Can someone from denon or the community let me know if this is also a problem because its really frustrating! Maybe denon needs to do another update or something?!!

Thanks

Ash

Hi

What’s the actual issue you’re facing?

Hey STU,

When a track is playing on the right hand side and i press vinyl mode the track then begins to stutter as its playing. Stop starts all the time.

So almost as if it’s activating the stutter function? Or is it more a random stutter that points to an error?

I’ve never used VDJ to any extent so one of the guys who does may be able to help further.

Yes when i activate vinyl mode on the right deck thats when the problem occurs. The track begins to stutter

There is a stutter function built in to some hardware/software. On the Prime 2 I think it’s shift and play to activate it.

This was why I asked if the stutter sounded consistent or more random. If it’s consistent it could be that the vinyl mode button has some incorrect midi mapping to VDJ whereby it’s activating stutter and not doing what you want it to.

Ah i see but i think its more random stutters on this occasion. It was fine when i was mixing and then all of a sudden it just started doing this whenever u pressed the vinyl button

1 Like

That sounds like the capacitive touch platters on the top are being activated.

The jog wheels respond to touch and need good grounding to work properly. If you’re not in vinyl mode, you won’t see this problem but once vinyl mode is turned on you’ll be able to stop the track by touching the jog wheel. This seems similar to what you’re experiencing… the rapid on and off of a capacitive touch wheel as if you’re tapping it rapidly.

Things to try.

Power up and don’t touch any jog wheel until the unit is fully booted. I think they calibrate upon boot.

Try changing power outlets in the wall or any extension cables/blocks/power leads into the back of the Prime 2. Some Earth cables may not exist or be faulty and it is important.

Humidity can be a problem. Ensure it’s not damp or muggy.

If any of these options are not working, there could be a fault with the platter. The capacitive surface has been known to fail once or twice and replacing can fix it. You could just be unlucky.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Thanks Mr Wilks when i get home i will try the things you have suggested.

1 Like

Keep us all posted bud.

Ive just got home now, ive switched on my controller and the first thing thats popped up is a firmware update…

And it seems like my tweets, chat and luck seemed to have got denon to release a new update and after doing that it seems to have resolved the issue. I can play the track on vinyl mode and spin it back etc. If you have one too maybe check for the update.

1 Like

Nice!

Keep an eye on it though as the firmware may not have fixed it as it’s generally hardware but you never know!

It could have been other factors that rear up again but for now enjoy and have fun!

Thats very true! I will definitely keep an eye on it! Hopefully i can get through the gig on Saturday unscathed!

But these things shouldnt be happening with the amount of money we spend on trying to enjoy ourselves with theee controllers. I like denon Dj controllers, but the little niggles needs ironing out to be top spot!

Sounds good.

Unfortunately the nature of the technology means the capacitive jog wheels may misbehave under different circumstances.

They auto calibrate to Just making sure they are not touched upon startup is a good idea and a power off then on can help adjust it back to where it was. My Prime 4 has a calibrate button but not sure if the Prime 2 has.

My Sony WH1000XM3 headphones has a touch area that apparently fails in cold weather so people in Canada were experiencing issues.

I have a Prime 2, which I picked up last August. I have not had any issues thus far. I’ve done several gigs with it and it is currently running 3.0.0. I have not used it with Virtual DJ outside of when I first purchased it to see how it works. I am glad your issue has been resolved, and I hope :crossed_fingers:t5: I don’t run into any similar issues using the installed hard drive.

I’m having the same problem with the right jogwheel, but not within Virtual DJ. When I enable vinyl mode, nothing happens - it doesn’t behave any different when the vinyl mode is turned off, e.g. I cannot scratch the record if it’s still playing. This happened on 3.0.0 and went away when I updated to 3.0.1 but came back after a day. It consistently happens on the right jogwheel but not the left one.

1 Like

Its so weird! There cant be hardware failures all over the place like this. Denon needs to sort this out asap or just recall the product and issue replacements because its really unacceptable. We spend alot of money on their products and things of this nature shoudnt be happening!

I genuinely believe theres a firmware bug which is triggering the vinyl mode on deck 2 to cause this.

That’s a hardware issue, I know because it happened to me and required a repair. It’s to do with grounding.

It may also be this too. Im just waiting for the retailer who i bought the controller off to give me the go ahead to return it. I will mention the grounding to them too and hopefully once its done this issue is gone for good! (Wishful thinking!)