📊 Poll | Is anyone using the Slicer pad mode?

Yeah, I also wonder, we have only 6 modes occupied so far, 2 of them are still free / not labeled (on the Prime 2 and 4). So why not adding Sampler and Pitch Play while keeping the rest? No need to kill the slicer, lol.

PadModes

5 Likes

YES!!! This is what I’ve been squawking for a while now. Replace Slicer with Pitch Play!! It’s a performance feature! Engine DJ needs more performance enhancement. A plethora of iPad apps used in conjunction with Ableton Link can fulfill Sampler needs.

The slicer on my loop station works like this; I record the loop with the slicer with a certain pattern and when I over dub the second layer of slices everything get rearranged to fit the second layer of slices then over dub the third time it gets rearranged more to the point you get an appegiator (P13 setting on loop station). This is how I expect slicers to work.

I’ve seen and created amazing results using this especially when creating bass and melodies. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igw0jM8RUWU @ 20s into the video the slicer is engaged to make a baseline with 3 overdubs and after @35s the slicer is still on to create the melody. On dj equipment slicers are manual and cheap even with sync and quantize.

Get rid of dj slicers for good :policeman:

There is a signifgent difference in slicer doctrine here.

2 Likes

Love Slicer. In my opinion Denon should add a sampler trigger performance mode, keeping the actually working ones to get the product excellence. Prime products are innovative in the way they perform better in each firmware release, and increase creativity adding connectivity to main cloud platforms. Good job inMusic!

3 Likes

Some excellent conversation here! Thank you for sharing your workflows, opinions, and ideas. :blush:

Your feedback is always appreciated and considered during development of new features and products.

14 Likes

I never use it. Cant get my head around it. But a key play function would be amazing fun.

3 Likes

Maybe the slicer can be improved upon.

Imagine that you can press three pads of slices and have a pattern that plays those slices like an appegiator (monophonic of course). The slicer loop can go as you can activate a loop already on the unit.

You mean slice playback in sequence? Cool idea :slight_smile: even better if each slice can have independent length

Yeah the slices playback according to the order you hold down the buttons.

It be cool to have different lengths for slices but how would you do it on the fly?

Totally agree, the on-screen key changing is horrid. You can never get back to original key without stepping back through all of the others first. Key change on the pads would be incredible!!

Isn’t pitch play the same thing as key shift (like we already have on-screen) or do I have that totally wrong?

I thought I had a feature request somewhere for that.

https://community.enginedj.com/search?expanded=true&q=%40Reticuli%20key

It looks like I suggested that shift + key button reset the key to the original, but I’m sure holding the on-screen key button or double tapping could also do it. The -/+ buttons still I believe only work on the -/+ and not the whole on-screen buttons, which was still annoying the last time I tried it.

I’d like to see Pad Fx, a scratch bank sort of thing, sampler, or a midi mode for triggering external gear via usb midi.

1 Like

There should have been an option to respond with BARELY or rarely but I’m glad its there to start developing tricks etc but I’m just not there with it yet.

Nice Idea, re map it and make it happen w a firmware update

I would love a sampler mode.

Would gladly swap the slicer for a sampler so I do not have to give up the additional layers.

Hi there, does anybody know if it’s possible to map the Numark Mixstream Pro to use Slicer instead of Roll?

if I do a loop, and select slicer loop, the selected loop goes out and makes the slicer loop out of where I wanted, that’s why I don’t use it, I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong, but I would like to use slicer loop on a loop selected by me. and in case of changing it for another function, I would better use a pitch change effect, which is more useful… thanks for your interest

I have toyed with it on my own or in a Twitch stream but never used in an actual DJ set. I can just never get it to perform the way I think it should or how I feel it should. (probably using it wrong haha) An Sampler would be awesome.

1 Like