📊 Poll | Is anyone using the Slicer pad mode?

But would you not need to reload them on every reboot?? Not sure prime units will be able to store them.

A made track with set hotcues is far easier imo. Just like setting your fav scratch samples from a scratch bank

Still not my thing.

Keep slicer and make another secondary button!

It’s good idea theoretically but the reality is the players don’t have the hardware infrastructure to make any form of sampling the best it could be. Most of the action would have to be done via touchscreen because the only thing the deck can do is launch the samples from the pads. Take a look at how dedicated samplers work and then look at your Denon deck or all in one and ask if the deck can actually do it without going adhoc.

1 Like

Not sure of the capabilities of the players but here’s what I see in theory:

• Samples will come from files stored on a drive (Hard Drive, USB, SD)
  • User assigns stored samples to pads and save their changes to their User Profile
  • Saved sample preferences would then be recalled when User Profile is loaded from drive.
2 Likes

Then samples need to be stored in ram for instant playback…

1 Like

That’s not currently the case with SC and Prime 4 User Profile preferences (Logos, Layer Colors, etc.) and I don’t think Serato Samples are RAM dependent.

Here we go again, this convo gets brought up so much - Any plans for a DJS1000 style sampler

:joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

I have folder called battles samples. In there I have a good portion of tracks with multiple samples spaced out and in the same key marked with hotcues. That way I can change the key to match the mix. Some are set up for certain bpms and other things also.

I have no problem going in there to load them. The only thing is you can’t swap out slots but only load different tracks and it takes up a layer also.

Having samples preloaded without giving up a layer will require resources.

1 Like

initially, the slicer function always worked in the sampler. DJ chooses a place in the track for the breakdown, he can choose the size of the cut grid, or set each slice manually. Then, save the parts that you liked to the sampler slot.

The sampler can be separate for each track. This means that when you load tracks into the deck, the slice mode will have the sounds that you have cut in advance.

In the Tractor in the S8 model, there was a function when you can select a loop in the track and save it to the remix deck, it was implemented extremely poorly, but the idea was OK.

My main idea is to be able to fill the rhythm on top of the track from the samples of the track itself. You know, you can cut out words, sounds “a”, “y” or notes of an instrument, as scratch DJs often do, put reverb or delay on top and play in slicer mode on top of the mix. Personally, I would use this , cause the current implementation of the slicer in other dj products is a stupid thing that has no practical application

2 Likes

Sampler is a nice-to but not must-to-have for me personally, as I can do a rather simple workaround with custom tracks + 8 Hot cues. Imagine 4 tracks (acting as your 4 banks) á 8 Hot-Cues (8 Samples), placed on the very top of your playlists/folders, where you can access and swap them quickly. These Hot Cues can also be labeled in Engine Desktop, sooo… there is pretty much everything we need.

In other words, if we can pick multiple solutions, I wouldn’t mind a Sampler as pad mode at all, but if it’s only one, I would rather go for Pitch/Key play instead, as this is really fun and also much easier for shifting the key than via the touchscreen. Correlates with: https://community.enginedj.com/t/extended-key-shifting/38224/

1 Like

What if we could have all the pad options like there are on the DJM-S11? We have 4 buttons for pad modes like on S11, so another 4 modes with shift would be cool. Sampler, scratch bank, roll, hot cues, loops, Slicer, Flip, Pitch play…?

5 Likes

Yeah, I also wonder, we have only 6 modes occupied so far, 2 of them are still free / not labeled (on the Prime 2 and 4). So why not adding Sampler and Pitch Play while keeping the rest? No need to kill the slicer, lol.

PadModes

5 Likes

YES!!! This is what I’ve been squawking for a while now. Replace Slicer with Pitch Play!! It’s a performance feature! Engine DJ needs more performance enhancement. A plethora of iPad apps used in conjunction with Ableton Link can fulfill Sampler needs.

The slicer on my loop station works like this; I record the loop with the slicer with a certain pattern and when I over dub the second layer of slices everything get rearranged to fit the second layer of slices then over dub the third time it gets rearranged more to the point you get an appegiator (P13 setting on loop station). This is how I expect slicers to work.

I’ve seen and created amazing results using this especially when creating bass and melodies. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igw0jM8RUWU @ 20s into the video the slicer is engaged to make a baseline with 3 overdubs and after @35s the slicer is still on to create the melody. On dj equipment slicers are manual and cheap even with sync and quantize.

Get rid of dj slicers for good :policeman:

There is a signifgent difference in slicer doctrine here.

2 Likes

Love Slicer. In my opinion Denon should add a sampler trigger performance mode, keeping the actually working ones to get the product excellence. Prime products are innovative in the way they perform better in each firmware release, and increase creativity adding connectivity to main cloud platforms. Good job inMusic!

3 Likes

Some excellent conversation here! Thank you for sharing your workflows, opinions, and ideas. :blush:

Your feedback is always appreciated and considered during development of new features and products.

14 Likes

I never use it. Cant get my head around it. But a key play function would be amazing fun.

3 Likes

Maybe the slicer can be improved upon.

Imagine that you can press three pads of slices and have a pattern that plays those slices like an appegiator (monophonic of course). The slicer loop can go as you can activate a loop already on the unit.

You mean slice playback in sequence? Cool idea :slight_smile: even better if each slice can have independent length

Yeah the slices playback according to the order you hold down the buttons.

It be cool to have different lengths for slices but how would you do it on the fly?

Totally agree, the on-screen key changing is horrid. You can never get back to original key without stepping back through all of the others first. Key change on the pads would be incredible!!