No Sound through New Prime Go

Hi all, i purchased my second ever controller a few days ago, stepping it up from a Hercules DJControl to the Denon Prime Go. But, it"s so far going nowhere. No sound through XLR balanced cables to JBL 710 eon speakers. Right output from controller to chanbel 1 on one speaker, left output to channel 2 on the other speaker. The only indication that something is working is being able to preview one track at a time through headphones using that mode on the display. The gain lights on my speakers where the XLR cables are connected flash red, and an icon has an X through each speaker with the connection, but not on the other open channel.

The interesting thing is that there are no indicated master levels on the controllerā€¦none of the lights activate when a track is playing in either channel. Iā€™m hoping this is something simple I have overlooked. Any ideas? I have a video, but as a new user I cannot upload it.

Thanks!

Can you not post a video to a video hosting site and share the URL here?

Just make sure that you have the master set in the menu for the VU meter. They added a mode that allows you to see the incoming signal or the outgoing signal on the LEDs.

Iā€™ll be honest, this doesnā€™t look good.

Check crossfader & fader position etc. it sounds like youā€™ve already done your homework but you never know. It could be a ribbon cable thatā€™s come off inside or a failure of the sound board.

Give the RCA output a go but I think this could be one for support. Maybe enquire if you can return it to the store you purchased it from, depending where you are.

1 Like

In your video do you have the volume controls for each deck turned all the way down in the eq section?

EQ levels were all the way down. Low, Mid and High were centered.

Next to the EQ is a volume level for that deck.

Yes, the ā€˜levelā€™ knobs on both decks next to the low, mid and high were all the way down - is that what you are referring to? I have a suspicion the issue might be with the speaker connection. Iā€™m a newbie at this, so i just connected the left (XLR) output on the Prime Go to channel 1 input on one of the speakers (JBL EON 710) and the right output on the GO to channel 2 input on the other speaker - there are two XLR inputs on each speaker (channel 1, channel 2); I tried multiple combinations and still no sound is being produced.

You need to turn those level rotary knobs up

Just plugged it in againā€¦turned them up, still no soundā€¦although the channel volume indicator on both of my speakers is off (icon of a speaker with an X through it, and flashing red light.) The master volume is green, presumably OK? See picturesā€¦view, no need to download. Thanks.

Soā€¦i now have super distorted and barely audible sound, after changing the VU from main to CH 1 in the mixer settings on the GO. I connected the controller through XLR to the speakers in various configurations, but it still is distorted, and now the gain light on the back of the speakers flashes red, while the chanel 1 and 2 lights are green, but go off and on while receiving the audio signalI. I hope itā€™s just that I havenā€™t connected it properly. Anyone else have a similar configuration?

Check the manual of your jbls. I think blinking red means the channel is muted. If the sound is distorted, the gain is likely to be set wrong. Maybe sensitivity for a mic input, not line.

1 Like

This. Itā€™s clear on the video that the speakers are muted (icon on the back lcd panel) and that the input signal is clipping (red led flashing).

But also, gain knobs on the Prime Go (labeled LEVEL) need to be up.

1 Like

I"m away from the unit right now, but I saw that it was clipping. I found this insightful post about the JBL 700 series., and a possible bug which may have been fixed at some point; i have the latest firmware installed on both speakers. Anyhow, there is a post by (randyb4875 )) a few commennts down from the top quoting a communican from tech support at JBL to the user as follows:

https://www.reddit.com/r/livesound/s/Uehn1yRxRi

Furthermore, I donā€™t think I have the XLR cables plugged into the right inputs on the speakers. I know this is a bssic question, but where do the left and right cables running from the controller go into each input on the speakers. There are two channelā€™s 1, 2 on each speaker, and a pass I believe:

1 Like

The combo XLR sockets CH1 or CH2 should be fine for each speaker. I know they donā€™t look like XLR sockets but they do fit. The screen on your earlier shot had a pic of a soeaker with an X, that to me says something is muted.

As far as clipping goes, my Bose S1 pro flashes itā€™s clipping light at me with minimal effort, Iā€™ve given up trying to work out the logic behind it because Iā€™m nowhere near running it hot. I just set it to sound right and ignore the light within reason.

Sweet mother of god, this speaker should be quoted as a legal reason to ban LCD screens and menus on PA speakers.

Separate mic preamp and channel gain control but one is a hardware knob and the other is on software but affects both, then another master gain software controlā€¦itā€™s a pure mess to balance everythingā€¦

Anyway, back on topic: do you have any other speaker that you can connect through master RCA output on Prime Go to test?

As mentioned, you have the XLR cables connected properly, itā€™s just that the speaker has a complicated gain structure and controls (with limiter and a mute function and TBH, nobody has time to go step by step with you to set everything correctly).

From the manual it seems its super easy to accidentally mute ch/main output (rant: WHY!?!?!?!), feel free to test:

So left out of the controller to channel 1 or 2, and right out of the controller to channel 1 or 2 on the other speaker? No correspondance needed, like left from controller to channel 1 on left speaker and right from controller to channel 2 on the right speaker? Do I use alternating channels like this, or do I stick with inputs on speaker all channel 1, or all channel 2? Not sure if I conveyed that properly?

Unfortunately, no. I have some KRK monitors. but I dont think those are RCA? Apparently the EON"s in the specs say they either have RCA Inputs or are compatibleā€¦I see nothing for RCA on the back panel, as you see in the picture. See specs:

I dont think it matters which channel you pick on each speaker to be honest, as long as the channel you select is unmuted and you have the gain up.

So left XLR from the Prime GO to one JBL speaker on either channel

Right XLR from the Prime Go to other JBL speaker on either channel.

Just make sure you have read the manual for the speakers carefully as it sounds a bit convoluted with all the mute options etc.

1 Like