NI STEMS Support: Possible future feature?

Actually this can be done in real time if you have the djay app on iPad.

On the iPhone as well

1 Like

Attached to a Rane One :grin:

It’s pretty cool that an IPhone can be on par with a laptop.

Without getting into politics , stems seemed to be a good idea a d NI went far enough to create the D2 and S8 and the stems creator and try to define s standard… I think way ahead of the market… as a producer / live performer stems are a powerful tool , with clear mixes distinctive of filtering EQ’s . There where 2 main problems, one the commercial/copyright ( coming from the producers artists themselves) basically almost sharing their masters… and the other , a way to separate from a track 4 components, which they don’t really need to be crystal clean… and that is advancing at a rapid pace… like for example stem creator from NI and isotope RX8 music rebalance function., … and almost 7 years after the launch of NI controllers and their discontinuation in 2018, finally it is reaching its beginning …no stems, xtrak , algoriddim are services more expensive than beat port and just to create stems from any song… let’s see, very exciting!!!

1 Like

I am a long time traktor user my self. Stems were great but lack of tracks and hard to get content made it a missed opportunity for me. What about algorithm based stem separation in real time like vdj has? If Traktor would have this option, and it would not eat the cpu’s of the computers, than it would have more sense. For Denon to implement this, I think there’s a long way still… We have many basic options to get implemented and improvements of existing options too. Never the less, I would welcome happily stems in prime eco-system.

1 Like

Engine os 2.0 will be awesome. May have a rewrite from the ground up implementing all requests and features along with a new GUI. Will be very exciting nevertheless. !?!?

The “new” stems on Primes will be the cherry. Especially if you can see the frequencies fading in and out on screen whilst twisting the eq knobs on X18xx or p4 p2 pGo

Hold on there, you think all will happen? What about 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9 in between? Let’s see what denon deves come up with…

Obviously the incremental 1.7, 1 7.1, 1.7.2, 1.7.3, etc etc etc etc will take place first.

I was speaking in the future and usually a 2.0, 3.0, 4.0 is a new look and feel :fist_right::fist_left:

That depends on if the developers are happy with existing look or not. So far we had loads of updates and not much changed. Anyway, gui design is ok.

I think the UX is fine. A tweak or “look” change is not a “re-write”.

As a SW engineer, I assure you a ground-up re-write would require years of development. And that would signal a BIG problem with the original architecture.

My guess is they just have a very small development and product team, which is why updates have been slow.

Building software is absurdly expensive. I don’t think most people realize that even those little apps on your phones cost millions of dollars to bring to market.

1 Like

Exactly, and what if the programmers team work not only on one, but multiple apps and operating systems and have deadlines for projects bought from the management, and also a lot of forum members to satisfy? This is all adding up to longer times of development and R&D for new software. And the global pandemic issue does not help too.

Pioneer still hasn’t fixed their heat related screen freezing issue on the 3000’s.

Gemini still hasn’t fixed any issues on their new standalone.

Not sure where you’d rather go. :-p

Devs are working their butts off handling a ton of updates and bugs. As someone who has been in the Denon ecosystem for 4 years, watching it go from. Where it was to where it is now… Denon not only caught up to, but surpassed the competition. And, now they are playing cleanup. Be patient.

2 Likes

Same here, I am with Prime series since 2017 - they came a long way and did a lot during the last 4 years. From 0 they build in these 4 years more than any competition had before.

1 Like

I’ll echo that - whilst they don’t do everything that is asked for, they have responded superbly to lots of requests and the difference between the player now from when we first got them is stark.

It would be possible to have real time stems on any engine OS hardware using the power of Cloud Computing. The engineDJ company should have own custom public servers for cloud computing via WIFI. The users using Standalone controllers should connect to WIFI then select “Enable cloud computing stems” button on touchscreen. Because the actual hardware don’t have enough power to process stems separation so cloud computing features should be fine for future updates.

Technically there’s 3 other useful ways for using stems without separating from full track. First is buying and downloading the drums loops, drops or vocals from Sample Packs available online or exporting the selected sounds from your DAW save file. The last thing is Analog 7+ Band EQ for Isolate each frequencies with 2 or more inputs/outputs

I hope it helps